Looking back at Gen V: What did it introduce that you liked and didn't like?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Looking back at Gen V: What did it introduce that you liked and didn't like?

Zeb
    five times in the mirror Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Default Looking back at Gen V: What did it introduce that you liked and didn't like?

With Generation VI getting closer, I thought it would be cool to look back on Gen V and the things it has brought to the series.

What things did Gen V introduce that you really like? And then on the flip-side, what did it introduce that you didn't/don't like?

These can be anything from Gen V games: specific Pokemon line (or its concept), a move, an ability, a location, new item, a character, new features in the game, changes to game mechanics, the story, maybe even the fact we got sequels? Absolutely anything that was introduced in the Gen V games (even if I didn't mention it above, since I'm sure I'll have forgotten something).
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Default Re: Looking back at Gen V: What did it introduce that you liked and didn't like?

I really didn't like the removal of walking poison damage, having to rush to the nearest Pokémon Centre (although really annoying) was part of the challenge and it seems weird not to have it. I think they should have kept it, and included walking burn damage too.

For what I liked: Indestructible TM's finally being introduced. I hated that they used to be one use only and it made me reluctant to use them in case I regretted it at a later date. Also being able to sort the items in the bag at the press of a button, as well as having multiple registered key items made the game a little bit more accessible and more organised.

Another thing I enjoyed being able to get Pokémon with rare hidden abilities from the Dream world, and I'll be sad to see it go at the end of this year. Another thing I really liked was the changes brought to the battles. The sprites, although a little pixelly looked great and more realistic. I also liked that they changed the low health music from the stupidly annoying bleeping.

The inclusion of the Pokémon World tournament was a refreshing change from the Battle Subway, and it was a lot less frustratingly hard. It also made it easier to get battle points a lot faster, which was a bonus.

Finally, the inclusion of changing seasons as well as Pokémon affected by the seasons was another favourite thing from this generation.
    Last edited by Oswin; 2nd July 2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Team Gaara and Markos like this.

Default Re: Looking back at Gen V: What did it introduce that you liked and didn't like?

I really liked the Pokemon World Tournament, as it was pretty challenging (for me, at least) and allowed you to battle the gym leaders and champions from the other regions. It's pretty much a nostalgia overload. I also liked basically all of the Pokemon introduced in the generation--they're some of my all time favorites. I liked the fact that they included seasons and made them relevant by having the Deerling evolution line, as well. Usually, you don't have to pay attention to what time of the year it is, but now it makes the game seem kind of special when you play it at different times of the year. Oh, and the music is pretty awesome, as well. It seems like they took more time composing it, and most of it sounds really cool.

The things I didn't like is that they took away some pretty awesome features from the previous generations. Now, you can't really walk with your Pokemon, or talk to them, and there are no cool secret bases like in Gen III. But as for the features that this generation added, I don't really like the fact that it has Easy, Normal, and Challenge Modes. Sure, they can be useful, but I liked it when everything was normal, so everyone could have the same experience and so I wouldn't look like a loser playing on normal mode Despite all this, Gen V is one of my favorite regions. It's second, if not tied for first with Gen III.

contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I liked a lot of the new features. I was pleased to see Seasons introduced, and that's something I'd wondered might be introduced for a while. I like how it was implemented, with one season being a month. I hope to see stuff to do with that expanded in future games. Other things I liked were things like Pokemon World Tournament(even though I've never actually tried it)Black City and White Forest(though I wish at the beginning it worked differently) and the Pokedex Completion rewards, something that I feel shouldve happened sooner. I'll be quite dissapointed if that is removed in X and Y because with over 700 Pokemon, people need some incentive to collect them all. I also liked the Global Link, but hated that you were forced to grow berries there,I hope they take that part of it away and maybe expand Global Link so you can do more things.

Overall there were not a lot of things I didnt like. Challenge/Easy Mode shouldve been available at the beginning and I feel that wasn't implemented well and certain Characters weren't all they were cracked up to be(Colress was an example, I just didnt find him that interesting) but other than that, I enjoyed the generation a lot.

Blog Entries

Having the game ask if you want to use another Repel is awesome, and I hope they bring it back.

Not having to use Strength every time you enter an area is nice too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IS1296 View Post
    Having the game ask if you want to use another Repel is awesome, and I hope they bring it back.
    ^^^^^^^^
    This. Although it may seem small, having the game ask you if you would like to use an item again was so nice. Giving multiple vitamins/objects to Pokemon was such a breeze since it went by so much quicker. It was a small little thing that I wish they had done earlier. The "move item" feature was also super nice, since the exp share is usually a main held item on my team, it wasn't a bother having to give it to another party member.

Seasons were also nice, since the avid snow fan, like me, could experience walking around in Snow. And although this was in Sinnoh, it took FOREVER to walk around when you got stuck in deep parts. I also feel that Unova brought the best rival system the games have seen. Instead of just one rival throughout the game, you have two, and both of them battle you frequently with updated teams. But it wasn't just that, it was having them help you out in the main story line that made it 'that' much more enjoyable.

Throwing out TM's... what a thing of the past. It was so nice being able to reuse certain TM's, I really just can't explain it. It takes away that struggle in the game that was never needed, and although it did add a bit of a challenge it was more of a nuisance. Also having HM's being usable outside of battle without the need of a gym badge was nice, but in my case it really didn't make that much of a difference. I'd rather them just turn HM's into TM's so we don't have to waste a move slot on a Pokemon.

The updated graphics, game-play, and just about everything was nice and to be honest. There wasn't anything (game-play wise) that I didn't like about Unova. The only thing I can think of that I didn't like was the use of the Fishing Rod until the end of them game. Maybe them I would have actually used a Frillish. :\
    Mokoniki likes this.
    claims ~ greninja ~ dark aura ~ stick ~ sail fossil ~ rest

team black

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Like: N

pretty obvious if you ask me.

Apart from the fact that the bag was kinda hard to navigate, and White Forest/Black City was just awful, Gen V fixed anything and everything that was wrong with Platinum, including battle pace and most minor annoyances.

Please, for the love of god bring the Gen IV bag system back.
    Pronged Pickle and Jenneta like this.

I loved all the graphic changes they made, and the aesthetics of the game, but the music was awful compared to platinum...the music might have been higher quality, but DPP actually made you feel something, like Mt Coronent. BW2 was a bit weird as it was almost exactly the same storyline, map and pokemon as BW, it was a good game, but needs to be freshened up a little. I would love for a DPP remake to be made, or a new story line in Sinnoh in Gen VI.
    Jenneta likes this.
    Team: Castform; Klinklang; Victini; Tornadus

Blog Entries

Okay, let's start with the obvious one: the Pokemon. Gen V introduced my absolute all-time favorite Pokemon ever. I had a laundry list as long as your arm until I made it to Unova; once I met Golett and Golurk, everything changed.

The reusable TMs: a great idea that should have been implemented earlier. Same with the Repel alerts. Great ideas and I'm glad Gen V implemented them.

The only major downside to this Gen? The GTS. It needs to be fixed and fixed badly.
    Yato likes this.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

There's a lot introduced in the fifth generation I liked. First of all, they had some of the best rival characters in years in my opinion with Bianca and N, who is more of a rival-like character to me rather than just the leader of Team Plasma in the first games. They had great personalities and development that made me really appreciate both characters the most out of the new characters introduced. I liked Cheren and Hugh was okay, but those are the two rival-esqe characters introduced that impressed me the most. Team Plasma was a great evil team, easily my favorite, because they did pose some good questions in their initial premise and it led to an interesting conflict within the first game.

Of course, they introduced quite a few new Pokemon that I liked like Samurott, Eelektross, Chandelure, Jellicent, Volcanroa and Galvantula to name a few. Re-usable TMs were a great move just so that multiple Pokemon could learn the same move and battling Audino was a great way to give Pokemon some good experience. I liked that we did get sequels. While the storyline wasn't as good compared to the first games, they were still enjoyable, they offered so much more in regards to the post-storyline and it was interesting to see them doing something different besides the traditional third version game. The PWT was a great way to use older characters again, as well as provide a challenge for the post-storyline. I absolutely loved the Black Tower/White Treehallow. That was a terrific way of leveling up my team without having to battle the Elite 4 like twenty times as I usually do. It basically cut that time in half. I would spend days on the higher levels, but it was so worth it. I'll be incredibly disappointed if they don't include something like that in X/Y.

As for what I didn't like, only having access to Easy, Normal or Challenge modes after the storyline is complete. It would have made more sense to start out with those modes available for players to choose. The Pokemon Dream World was a good idea, but I don't think it was handled well. It was far more tedious than fun after while, which made me lose interest in it pretty quickly. The fact that I only could spend an hour a day there didn't help either.
    HumanDawn and Yato like this.

I loved the changes to item management. I could shove all the items I didn't care about to the side and keep everything I needed in a spare pocket. Also setting a bunch of stuff to select was ingenious. It made my life so much easier.

I absolutely hated Sawk and Throh. I know pure fighting types are hard to make without looking exactly like humans, but jeeze. I also didn't like the indestructable TM's and removal of walking poison damage. Those are little touches that added a lot to the feel of the game, even if they were slightly annoying.
    credit to Blazaking Ex for the banner

I agree with the poison damage @Wyvern_116 . The item management is getting better, but I still do not like the fact you cannot rearrange the TMs and HMs by name instead of by machine number, as that is quite annoying.
    Team: Castform; Klinklang; Victini; Tornadus

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked reusable TMs and the game asking if you want to use another repel when one ran out. I also liked that the other Trainer Classes were all animated. I also really liked the addition of the Challenge Mode and hope it makes a return in Gen VI and BW2's PWT. PokeStar Studios was pretty fun, too. The bag and items were also more manageable, which I liked. Even seasons were pretty cool. Gen V's amazing cut-scenes also make me excited for what X and Y will bring.

Though, I didn't like the Gym Leaders' line-ups. BW was terrible with this. Last Gym Leader has only three Pokemon? And the Elite Four have four each? Speaking of which, I hated the ability to challenge the Elite Four in any order. It just made all of them have the same leveled Pokemon and the same amount of them, so I personally hope that's just a Unova thing.

I also didn't really like Team Plasma (BW) or any of the Gen V "rivals" too much compared to the other Evil Teams/Rivals. The rivals seemed more like friends (Bianca and Hugh; Cheren's at least somewhat of a rival), and it took two years for Team Plasma to even become evil. Though, I did like them in BW2; nice improvement actually having a goal, now. That said, I'd prefer it if X and Y were followed by a third version, rather than another sequel. I didn't like Gen V's lack of a canonical story line. Musicals were really boring to me, since you don't really do anything.

I only really hated one thing. Or rather, two people: Yancy and Curtis.

I also agree with the damage from poison. Though annoying, it added to the challenge.
    Last edited by Team Gaara; 7th July 2013 at 03:09 PM.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

Liked: Reusable TM's and using repels without having to go back into your bag. White Treehollow and Black Skyscraper in BW2 are also great for leveling up. I loved the PWT and getting to battle previous gym leaders and champions. Seasons added nice environmental changes as well.

Disliked: I disliked pretty much all of the rivals. In BW I wasn't fond of Team Plasma, nor the fact that we were limited to only Gen 5 Pokémon until beating the game. I really disliked a lot of the pokemon of this gen. Musicals were terrible in comparison to contests and pokéathlon. I'm also a little bothered with the fact that the only new Poke Ball added was the Dream Ball. Hoping this will all be better in X and Y; the Pokémon are already looking better.
    Last edited by Sakuraa; 8th July 2013 at 07:40 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast