Liechi no more?

Thread: Liechi no more?

Where a large electronic talking Charmander looks at me from beside the computer...

Default Liechi no more?

Today's berry from the Berry Woman was Berry #36. However it was an

Okka Berry, not a Liechi as #36 previously was. Maybe Liechi got a number change and bumped down the list? Maybe Liechis imported from Hoenn will automatically morph into Okkas? Maybe Okka is such a great berry it removes the need for Liechi's? Maybe this is what that fertilizer stuff is all about? I'll probably find out. Eventually.

Also, berry #50 is

The Namo berry, if anyone's interested.

Blog Entries

There are 21 new berries, within which Okka Berry is #1 and Namo Berry is #15.

I suspect that joining Liechi Berry are the Ganlon, Salac, Petaya, Apicot, Lansat, Starf and Enigma Berries. This amounts to 8 berries that have been replaced or moved, bringing the number of returning berries down to 35. In this way, Okka Berry becomes #36 and Namo Berry becomes #50, as you reported.

The common denominator of these berries, beyond being last on the list, is that they are simply hard to get in the Generation III games. Although their sprites are in Diamond and Pearl (as seen here), that does not prove anything, seeing as the Fame Checker is there as well -- but we know for a fact that it is not an obtainable item.

I would say that overwriting these berries for counterparts of the same nature is simply redundant; if the statistics of moves like Leaf Blade can be altered, so can those of berries with the name and sprite unchanged. Furthermore, tweaking their number would also be bizarre - Mew is still #151, and even Overheat remains to be TM 50.

Even though it is not a fact until verified by transferring one such berry, it seems as if the 8 elusive berries have been made the distinction factor of Generation III. If so, there are now concrete reasons for deciding against transferring Pokémon to Diamond and Pearl.

Where a large electronic talking Charmander looks at me from beside the computer...

I've gathered a few more berries and done a tiny bit of translation, and whatever Okka's effect is, it's based around the fire type. The type specific berries then continue up to #51, which has a steel-related effect. That gives five new berry sprites (#52-#56) that have an unknown effect and locations obtained.

Even though it is not a fact until verified by transferring one such berry, it seems as if the 8 elusive berries have been made the distinction factor of Generation III. If so, there are now concrete reasons for deciding against transferring Pokémon to Diamond and Pearl.
    I really don't think that stat-raising hold items based around abilities such as Blaze are a "concrete reason" to never transfer Pokemon into DP.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I really don't think that stat-raising hold items based around abilities such as Blaze are a "concrete reason" to never transfer Pokemon into DP.
    Who said anything about never?

Pokémon whose role in competitive play has been designed around these berries should not be transferred to Diamond and Pearl, period. Ignorance of this fact will lead to loss of the fruits born by hard work.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The change in definition of what is a Physical attack and what is a Special attacks seems to be more of a "concrete reason" in competitive play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FabuVinny View Post
    The change in definition of what is a Physical attack and what is a Special attacks seems to be more of a "concrete reason" in competitive play.
    Concrete is not the word for it; it is an alteration to the metagame, rather than an unequivocal loss. I do agree that transferring established teams to Diamond and Pearl is unwise, but some may still wish to explore new opportunities thanks to TMs and the Move Relearner -- there is no such dilemma with these held items.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

What's this thing that looks like an Onix's tail?

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Someone needs to make an Item List with pictures ASAP.

I have tons of items I have no clue what they do...

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

Maybe I'm just confused, but couldn't people just give GBA Pokémon the berries as hold items, catch then in Pal Park, then plant them to grow more? Or can items not be transferred with Pokémon...? Or are the effects different in DP...?

Real California Cheese. Birdyspot's Avatar

Serebii's DP Berry List, just posted today

Liechi and company are all still there, just bumped down the list by these new berries, of which there are 17: one for each type, as each berry lowers the effectiveness of a given type's attacks. Interesting.

Also, Argy--according to Coronis, Pal Park DOES preserve the held items of your Pokemon, so it will be easy enough to get your Salacs and Petayas over to DP. Yay!

EDIT: There are also four new ones on the end of the list (two with effects like Liechi & co.) so 21 new berries in all. Wonder how the last two berries work? I would assume they are one-use like all the others...
    Last edited by Birdyspot; 12th October 2006 at 05:02 PM.