SPOILERS: Legendary Pokemon Discussion - Page 14

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 619
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

  1. #196
    Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lurking in dark corners
    Posts
    13,509
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    The norse theory only ties together well if we get the squirrel and snake. Without them, it doesn't tie together at all. Right now you're using the theory to say the snake and squirrel will be there, and saying the theory is good because it fits together. But it doesn't fit together unless the squirrel and snake are there.

    Right now, we can't conclude it fits together (but we can't conclude it doesn't fit together).
    moa likes this.

  2. #197
    Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    22,026
    Blog Entries
    199
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    We may get a Squirrel and a Snake later on, anything can happen at this point in time, its probably not solely based on Norse mythology, it could be many different things combined, it's too early to say it's totally one thing.

  3. #198
    My Sword Hand Twitches! Owain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    3,024
    Blog Entries
    67

    Follow Owain on Tumblr

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    I love their names regardless.

    According to Mielikki(and wikipedia), Yveltal can mean Talk-Evil. or better, to talk evil. so I agree with El_ on his assumption that Yveltal could be the first truly evil Pokémon and that's kinda awesome, maybe then Xerneas could be the ''purest'' pokémon, but this kind of defaults to the previous generation yin-yang thing, but done better, but I'm not sure of anything yet x_x

    Again, everything we have to go on right now are assumptions, nothing is really confirmed, so, please let's not trust every single piece of info that gets posted.

    (Also, maybe it's wishful thinking, but Yveltal really sounds nordic to me, while Xerneas seems more like a greek name, but I haven't studied any of those languages, so, don't trust me either)

    Also. Yveltal may only have taken hints from the yatagarasu, while Xerneas could also have taken hints from deers that are indigenous to Asia, since they're considered sacred and ''pure'', I've heard there's a province (or something) that lets deers(?plural?) roam free, like cows in India.
    Last edited by Owain; 9th January 2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Reila likes this.

  4. #199
    Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lurking in dark corners
    Posts
    13,509
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    I'm thinking that the Yveltal = evil talk connection is also probably suspicious.. It may be true, but it's still a pretty obscure explanation taking two words and putting them together to try to define what the critter is, when there's no absolute clear link between the critter and the words.

    I suppose my overall point is that I see a lot of people being far too willing to take one theory and assume it's true, jump to conclusion, etc. Probably a mistake, that.

  5. #200
    Keeper of Time Ange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Temporal Dimension
    Posts
    739
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
    I love their names regardless.

    According to Mielikki(and wikipedia), Yveltal can mean Talk-Evil. or better, to talk evil. so I agree with El_ on his assumption that Yveltal could be the first truly evil Pokémon and that's kinda awesome, maybe then Xerneas could be the ''purest'' pokémon, but this kind of defaults to the previous generation yin-yang thing, but done better, but I'm not sure of anything yet x_x

    Again, everything we have to go on right now are assumptions, nothing is really confirmed, so, please let's not trust every single piece of info that gets posted.

    (Also, maybe it's wishful thinking, but Yveltal really sounds nordic to me, while Xerneas seems more like a greek name, but I haven't studied any of those languages, so, don't trust me either)

    Also. Yveltal may only have taken hints from the yatagarasu, while Xerneas could also have taken hints from deers that are indigenous to Asia, since they're considered sacred and ''pure'', I've heard there's a province (or something) that lets deers(?plural?) roam free, like cows in India.
    Yin Yang isn't about good vs evil though, that's just a common Western perception. Yin and Yang actually complement each other, so Xerneas and Yveltal being good vs evil is, I think, not entirely impossible.
    Owain, moa and Wishmaker Jirachi like this.

    Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate
    Avatar drawn by me.

  6. #201
    Registered User AkuromaKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    163

    Default I think I know what the Mascot pokemon came from!

    "Yggdrasil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Read the first paragraph at the end, three creatures that live in yggdrasil are an eagle, a dragon and an stag. Two of which are the legendaries, so third could be the dragon. This is norse mythology, would fit in with europe theme. Also, norse mythology would be awesome, thor god like pokemon oh and don't forget the big thing in norse mythology. Ragnorok. Basically armageddon! Wasn't there an interview or something that said, the pokemon world would face a global crisis. Don't get more global than the end of the world!!"
    Someone stated this over Serebii

    Maybe...?
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

  7. #202
    My Sword Hand Twitches! Owain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    3,024
    Blog Entries
    67

    Follow Owain on Tumblr

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela-Samshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
    I love their names regardless.

    According to Mielikki(and wikipedia), Yveltal can mean Talk-Evil. or better, to talk evil. so I agree with El_ on his assumption that Yveltal could be the first truly evil Pokémon and that's kinda awesome, maybe then Xerneas could be the ''purest'' pokémon, but this kind of defaults to the previous generation yin-yang thing, but done better, but I'm not sure of anything yet x_x

    Again, everything we have to go on right now are assumptions, nothing is really confirmed, so, please let's not trust every single piece of info that gets posted.

    (Also, maybe it's wishful thinking, but Yveltal really sounds nordic to me, while Xerneas seems more like a greek name, but I haven't studied any of those languages, so, don't trust me either)

    Also. Yveltal may only have taken hints from the yatagarasu, while Xerneas could also have taken hints from deers that are indigenous to Asia, since they're considered sacred and ''pure'', I've heard there's a province (or something) that lets deers(?plural?) roam free, like cows in India.
    Yin Yang isn't about good vs evil though, that's just a common Western perception. Yin and Yang actually complement each other, so Xerneas and Yveltal being good vs evil is, I think, not entirely impossible.
    That is true, indeed, I had forgotten that.

  8. #203
    Zeb
    Zeb is offline
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,813
    Blog Entries
    138

    Follow Zeb on Tumblr

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    I want to know more about Xerneas (awesome name). I love its design and I'm hoping it has a good typing and ability, as well as a decent story and myth surrounding it too. It may just become one of my favourite legendaries--I tend to dislike a lot of the legendary pokemon we've got. I can't even hazard a guess at its typing, because it quite literally could be anything at this point (barring a few types).

    I don't give a damn about the bird until I see its official art, because its design looks a little clumsy with the forced y-shape of its wings and tail. Plus it reminds me of Mandibuzz a little, which I don't like.
    Gaga likes this.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

  9. #204
    Registered User epicparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    121

    Default Yvetal and Xerxes

    I'm wondering what types you guys think Yvetal and Xerneas are going to be.
    (Keep in mind Yvetal is the Bird and Xerneas is the deer.)

    I'm thinking Yvetal is definitely Flying type and Possibly dark or psychic. Dark because it's got like claw things on its wings and tail and psychic because it flew really fast and glows kind of. Flying/Dragon is also a Possibility, But I'm guessing Flying/Dark.

    Xerneas is harder because there was nothing very indicative about it. Grass is a possibility because it lives in the forest, but other than that there's no grass type indicators. Its rainbow horns made me think light type, but that isn't a type (but it could be)(but it probably won't), I've always kind of thought of Psychic type to be very Similar to what light type would be Light type. If you look at its feet, they're like swords or something. There's not much to go off of for him, so I'm gonna say Grass/Psychic or Grass/Steel (both of which are rare type combos). (I also would like to point out that this is the second pokemon whose name begins with an X)

    I would also like to bring up the topic of another pokemon in this legendary trio. These two pokemon may be a legendary duo or trio (it is still unconfirmed), but I would assume it will be a trio. This would easily lend to a sequel game like generations I-IV. If there is a third pokemon making a trio, what would it be? My first thought was Yvetal-sky, Xerneas-land, ???-sea. It could be a fish of some sort, or a serpent that could bend into a Z (Pokemon X, Y, and Z versions). Then I remembered that this generation was (probably) to be about genetics, so the 3rd form could be a fusion of the 2 (Kind of like Kyrem).

    You may discuss!

  10. #205
    Nyx
    Nyx is offline
    What does the Vulpix say? Nyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    BMGf
    Posts
    696

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    It'd be nice if we got a good vs evil theme this Generation. Maybe the villainous team would debate whether being good or evil is genetically predetermined.

  11. #206
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: Yvetal and Xerxes

    Quote Originally Posted by epicparker View Post
    I'm wondering what types you guys think Yvetal and Xerneas are going to be.
    (Keep in mind Yvetal is the Bird and Xerneas is the deer.)
    My bets are:

    Yveltal - Dark/Flying
    Xerneas - Steel/Psychic

  12. #207
    My Sword Hand Twitches! Owain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    3,024
    Blog Entries
    67

    Follow Owain on Tumblr

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    I've just realized something, (I'm guessing the region's gonna be based on Europe as a whole for this) So, Europe is huge, we all know that, so, maybe the legendaries aren't really based on a particular culture, but around many bases and aesthetics from many different cultures present in Europe. A mish-mash, a DNA mish-mash perhaps...

  13. #208
    Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    New Bark Town
    Posts
    675
    Blog Entries
    55

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    I love love love them. A bit weirded out by the Y-bird at first, but it grew on me. Meanwhile, the X-deer looks majestic and pure and uncorruptable and just brilliant. I'd like to see a few more legends, but not as much as last Gen. A trio or something, and a stand-alone, and that's fine.

  14. #209
    Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    22,026
    Blog Entries
    199
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    Getting a closer look at Yveltel has given me a new appreciation, it looks pretty badass and may have a Dark typing which I like a lot(it looks like it) I also like the name, pretty interesting. I have pretty much no complaint about either legendary so far.

  15. #210
    Nyx
    Nyx is offline
    What does the Vulpix say? Nyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    BMGf
    Posts
    696

    Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    I want to know more about Xerneas (awesome name). I love its design and I'm hoping it has a good typing and ability, as well as a decent story and myth surrounding it too. It may just become one of my favourite legendaries--I tend to dislike a lot of the legendary pokemon we've got. I can't even hazard a guess at its typing, because it quite literally could be anything at this point (barring a few types).
    I feel the same, Xerneas is one of the very few legendary Pokemon I insta-liked.

    Quote Originally Posted by epicparker View Post
    I'm wondering what types you guys think Yvetal and Xerneas are going to be.
    Xerneas - Steel/Grass or Grass/Water. Just a wild guess, it's pretty hard to tell.
    Yveltal - Flying/Dark or Flying/Fire. I just want a Pokemon with Flying as its primary type!
    Last edited by Nyx; 9th January 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •