SPOILERS: Legendary Pokemon Discussion - Page 13

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

Just a bit browsing on wiktionary:
    yvel - Wiktionary An old english word for evil
    tal - Wiktionary In most languages talk, speech or number. In old german walley.
    Also it is similar to -tar, which was used to make feminine formsw of nouns in old finnish.

Somehow I feel it´ll be partially dark-type.

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

I know Serebii got the pronunciation guide from TPCi - I mentioned it earlier.

OK guys, I'm gonna suggest Yveltal is based on this guy, Yatagarasu, the Japanese three-legged crow. Remember the "claws" on its wings and tail?

1211452607.gif

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Apex View Post
    I don't care how they're pronounced. If you're going to have an X and a Y, WHY HAVE THAT LETTER SILENT???

Therefore, since I originally pronounced it "ecks-urn-e-ous" and "yah-vet-all" I will continue pronouncing it that, even when I learned the actual pronunciations.
    What sound does "y" usually make? Here are some examples of words or names with a "y" in them: Magby, accuracy, speedy, beefy, foggy, Manaphy, porky, usually, mummy, funny, Phanpy, symmetry, rhythm, Braviary, ability, anchovy, snowy and hazy. I don't think the "Y" in Yveltal is silent. Also how do you pronounce Xatu? I think it is pronounced "Zat-oo". As I said in the thread about the Bulbanews article confirming the names I'm happy that there is another Pokémon which has a name beginning with X :)
    Last edited by Water Max; 9th January 2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

Im crying right now OMG Yvetal is so freaking cool and badass OMG i must have this pokemon its so jesus i cant type no...
    Owain likes this.

Looks like the mascots aren't Norse or even French. Like the kami trio in Unova, and the dragon trio, Yveltal is based on the Japanese Yatagarasu.

001.jpg

That makes the Princess Mononoke theory for Xerneas much more believable. The name is Gaulish inspired though.
    Reila and Owain like this.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Yveltal obviously flies. Xerneas is obviously grounded. And that... is all we have to go on. (I've actually decided to skip reading everything that has been typed prior.)

It's actually a good deal to go on, though. It makes sense with the axes on a coordinate plane. Xerneas could be Ground, and could cause gravity when it is summoned. Yveltal could cancel Gravity when it is summoned... or something, I dunno.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Porygon View Post
    Looks like the mascots aren't Norse or even French. Like the kami trio in Unova, and the dragon trio, Yveltal is based on the Japanese Yatagarasu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	1078 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	83563

That makes the Princess Mononoke theory for Xerneas much more believable. The name is Gaulish inspired though.
    And...we know it's based on Yatagarasu how? I mean, it's certainly possible, but I haven't seen any proof of certainty.

Even the norse theory seems to have more going for it right now than Yatagarasu
    Owain likes this.

Visit Apex's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    I don't care how they're pronounced. If you're going to have an X and a Y, WHY HAVE THAT LETTER SILENT???

Therefore, since I originally pronounced it "ecks-urn-e-ous" and "yah-vet-all" I will continue pronouncing it that, even when I learned the actual pronunciations.
    What sound does "y" usually make? Here are some examples of words or names with a "y" in them: Magby, accuracy, speedy, beefy, foggy, Manaphy, porky, usually, mummy, funny, Phanpy, symmetry, rhythm, Braviary, ability, anchovy, snowy and hazy. I don't think the "Y" in Yveltal is silent. Also how do you pronounce Xatu? I think it is pronounced "Zat-oo". As I said in the thread about the Bulbanews article confirming the names I'm happy that there is another Pokémon which has a name beginning with X :)
    Ok, the reason I pronounce Xerneas that was is probably because of Xatu. I've never called him "Zatu", rather "Ecks-At-oo"

Also, all the words you just used as an example...they don't have the Y at the beginning. So of course they're going to sound different. An example I'm thinking would be Yanmega and Yanma.

SEAHAWKS SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

Blog Entries

If Yveltal is really based on Yatagarasu, I just met my new favorite Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Porygon View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	1078 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	83563

And...we know it's based on Yatagarasu how? I mean, it's certainly possible, but I haven't seen any proof of certainty.

Even the norse theory seems to have more going for it right now than Yatagarasu
    Imagine a three-legged crow, with one set of claws going vertically down, and the other two feet across each wing. I can't find a picture of the Yatagarasu doing that, but my money's on that being the basis.

Visit Apex's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    If Yveltal is really based on Yatagarasu, I just met my new favorite Pokémon.
    You mean it will automatically jump to #1 without you even knowing the rest of its info?

Well, I technically did that with Braviary, but his stats were able to back it up.

SEAHAWKS SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

It's not impossible, but that's certainly a stretched guess. I wouldn't use it as a basis for any conclusion.

Blog Entries

You mean it will automatically jump to #1 without you even knowing the rest of its info?
    Well, I technically did that with Braviary, but his stats were able to back it up.
    Well I already love its design, regardless of what Yveltal was based on.
    And I like the Yatagarasu myth for a long time, it is even my username on deviantART.

I admit, that may change if its stats suck (unlikely) or the typing is bad.

El_
    Blog Entries

To take the discussion away from the basis for a moment, am I the only one hoping that Yveltal could be the first truly malevolent Pokemon introduced? I know the "evil" sounding of its name probably hints at the possible typing (Dark) but I would really like it if it were more than just that.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

@Evil Figment: Whilst the Norse theory might be based on obscure elements, I think it at least it ties together fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post

Honestly, at this point the most convincing line of thought I found is this: Artemis, goddess of the moon and feminine element, symbolic animal: the deer/hind vs Apollo, god of the Sun, and masculine elements, symbolic animal: the hawk.

I find this interesting, but also a bit hard to believe due to how menacing and dark Yveltal is. You'd think a Pokémon based on a solar deity would be a bit brighter. Besides, we've aleady had Sun & Moon Pokémon (Volcarona & Darkrai/Cresselia respectively).

The theory is not mine. It's from one of the other BMG staffers. It seems far more likely than the Yggdrasil theory.
    Well the Norse theory isn't really "mine" either, though I do believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post

Ok, the reason I pronounce Xerneas that was is probably because of Xatu. I've never called him "Zatu", rather "Ecks-At-oo"

Also, all the words you just used as an example...they don't have the Y at the beginning. So of course they're going to sound different. An example I'm thinking would be Yanmega and Yanma.
    I think what @Water Max is getting at is that the sound Y makes is always basically an "ee", whether it's at the front of a word or the end, as a vowel or consonant. For example, Muh-mee (mummy), Ee-an-meh-gah (Yanmega). It's seems less distinct when used as a consonant though, almost as if it's its own sound, but it's not really. Say "Yan" a few times and you'll see what I mean. It's kind of a similar story with X. It's supposed to represent the consonant cluster "cks", but most people are lazy and pronounce it like a Z.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast