SPOILERS: Legendary Pokemon Discussion - Page 12

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Legendary Pokemon Discussion

Svelte does mean that in French.

But if we do French, here's a much simpler start to Xerneas: Cerf. Pronounced (loosely) "Surr".

Means "Deer".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Warrior View Post
    So Xerneas and Yveltal huh? I really like them. The names starting with (or at least containing) X and Y was anticipated.

Am I the only one who thinks Xerneas is too masculine for such a feminine-looking Pokemon?
    It doesn't look feminine at all really, its massive stag horns are definitely masculine.
    Just because it's more elegant and majestic looking doesn't mean it looks female.
    Last edited by Hushie; 9th January 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Banner by JokesterJesse

Rawr! I iz da Kwaken! Polkadot Jolteon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perhaps the deer is part Ice-type? In the trailer it seemed to notice the camera and create mist... But that might be just me.

Nyx

Quote Originally Posted by Hushie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Warrior View Post
    So Xerneas and Yveltal huh? I really like them. The names starting with (or at least containing) X and Y was anticipated.

Am I the only one who thinks Xerneas is too masculine for such a feminine-looking Pokemon?
    It doesn't look feminine at all really, it's massive stag horns are definitely masculine.
    Just because it's more elegant and majestic looking doesn't mean it looks female.
    Eh, it's just me then, I guess. I like both the name and the Pokemon, so I don't mind Xerneas at all, but I'd prefer a more "neutral" name.

And Ylveltal sounds too feminine to me.
    Maybe there´ll be some "bashing gender stereotypes" sort of thing?

(today I´m speculating too much)

If I make some stupid grammar mistake, I´m terribly sorry and feel free to correct me.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Pretty sure that Xerneas is Grass/Steel. It's body seems very stiff, and its legs look particularly blade-like. I think it's probably part Grass because of the strong forest associations, the fact that it's a lot like Sawsbuck, and the fact that it could be based on the horned nature god, Cernunnos. If it's not though, I'm guessing Steel/Normal, and that it's a reindeer like Stantler (hence the xmas lights in its antlers), and that it just learns Psychic moves.

As for Yveltal well ... I think the name kind of gives away its Dark-type, considering that it sounds a lot like "evil tall", as some have already pointed out. As for its secondary typing ... meh. At this point I'm most leaning towards the explanation provided by @El_ i.e. that it's basically an evil redux of Lugia, and is probably Dark/Flying (or Psychic/Dark, possibly, because I think that would still work). It would be really cool if it turns out to be Poison-typed, for the Grass/Poison box legends pair, and I hope GF proves me wrong (even if it has to happen with Pokémon Z & W in later sequels), but after hearing the name I really don't think it'll happen now.

And speaking of Z & W, I have no soild idea. Apparently the creature it's probably based on (if it exists) is a wyrm (basically a dragon), not a snake, so it's probably part Dragon, and it lives in the underworld, which is freezing (and where lots of souls go), so it would make sense for it to be either Dragon/Ghost or Dragon/Ice. However, we've already had a game all about Kyurem (and it was featured in the game before, too), so unless they go ahead and make it the Original Dragon, or Kyurem itself, then I don't think that'll happen. Same for Dragon/Ghost w/Giratina. A such, I think it's probs a Dragon/Poison, because itself said to gnaw at the world tree (and Poison hurts Grass, obv.) or Dragon/Ground that learns some Ghost/Ice/Poison moves.

As for Pokémon W, I think it'll be the Mew of this generation, and probably at least a part Normal-type, or maybe even pure Psychic. If it has a secondary type, I'd bet Grass.

Also, I reading more about Norse mythology, and apparently one of the roots of the yggdrasil leads to a spring (Urðarbrunnr) associated with with beings, the Norse version of the Fates. One of the legendary trios, perhaps? If so, I expect at least part Ghost-typings (Ghost/Psychic?)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    The notion that either of these are in any way nordic doesn't appear to be based on any sort of legitimate reason.
    The fact that yggdrasil is European lore (where the games are set), and is associated with four types of animals, a stag (Xerneas), an eagle (Yveltal), and a snake (Z-Snake), as well as a Squirrel (Pokemon W, IMHO), is just as legit as "well, it's name sort of possibly sounds like Cernunnos/Kern, and it is a stag ...". Besides, they could be inspired by multiple sources (it's all European anyway).
    Last edited by Green Zubat; 9th January 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Blog Entries

The fact that yggdrasil is European lore (where the games are set), and is associated with four types of animals, a stag (Xerneas), an eagle (Yveltal), and a snake (Z-Snake), as well as a Squirrel (Pokemon W, IMHO), is just as legit as "well, it's name sort of possibly sounds like Cernunnos/Kern, and it is a stag ...". Besides, they could be inspired by multiple sources (it's all European anyway).
    Do you have an idea how many mythologies feature a stag/deer/hart and a bird? If you guessed "Pretty much all of them"...that's the correct answer.

And the norse ones are some of the most obscure critters of norse mythology, at that.

And of course, we don't know that there will be four versions (remember when they did three versions and not four?), we don't know what the other versions legendaries will be Z and W, we don't know that they will be counterparts to this one (Gen II's "third legendary" was Suicune, which was not a third part of a trio with Ho-Oh and Lugia).

So your whole theory is based on a lot of wishful thinking/pet theories.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 9th January 2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Do you have an idea how many mythologies feature a stag/deer/hart and a bird? If you guessed "Pretty much all of them"...that's the correct answer.
    I specified other supporting factors in my post other than "look! This mythology features a stag at some point, and also a bird!", you know.

And of course, we don't know that there will be four versions (remember when they did three versions and not four?), we don't know what the other versions legendaries will be Z and W, we don't know that they will be counterparts to this one (Gen II's "third legendary" was Suicune, which was not a third part of a trio with Ho-Oh and Lugia).

So your whole theory is based on a lot of wishful thinking/pet theories.
    And yours isn't because ... ? Oh right, because it is. I know I'm just speculating, but don't pretend like you're not as well.

Also, I'm not saying there will be sequels, only that there might be. I wouldn't be surprised just to see a third version with Z as the mascot, and W be just this gen's Mew, that hangs out more or less in the background except for events.
    Last edited by Green Zubat; 9th January 2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Ein likes this.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the legendaries' names. They sound cool and kind of give off a regal atmosphere for them. Also, I don't think those two look like they could be Poison-types, honestly. There will most likely be other legendaries besides these two, so maybe one of the others could be Poison-type. But these, nah. I'm going to guess Grass and something else for Xerneas, and Yveltal is likely Flying-type. I'm not going to say it is for sure because you never know for certain, but it probably is part Flying-type.

Visit Apex's Youtube Channel

I don't care how they're pronounced. If you're going to have an X and a Y, WHY HAVE THAT LETTER SILENT???

Therefore, since I originally pronounced it "ecks-urn-e-ous" and "yah-vet-all" I will continue pronouncing it that, even when I learned the actual pronunciations.

SEAHAWKS SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

There could be a quartet, if based on the Norse mythology truly I didn't think about that before, I wonder if that's planned and there may be 4 games in the works? I jsut have a feeling they may not go back to the traditional third game anymore and we may be seeing something different.
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apex View Post
    I don't care how they're pronounced. If you're going to have an X and a Y, WHY HAVE THAT LETTER SILENT???

Therefore, since I originally pronounced it "ecks-urn-e-ous" and "yah-vet-all" I will continue pronouncing it that, even when I learned the actual pronunciations.
    I didn't actually know TPCi gave out pronunciation guides - this might be a first for them. They could have done that for Arceus and saved the fanbase a lot of bickering.

Anyway, Yveltal has absolutely nothing to do with Yggdrasil - the latter's a tree for goodness sake. The supposed Norse connection has been much exaggerated.

El_
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zistal View Post

So it came directly from TPCI then? No way to dispute that, I guess. Zurr-nee-us and Ee-vell-tall it is.

Yveltal now feels much more menacing. That appearance and name that sounds like "evil"...
    Exactly what I was thinking. So I'm going back to my original thinking that Yveltal is a Dark/Flying type, it certainly looks the part. Xerneas is a really cool name, though right now its typing is now even more lost to me than it was before XD I can't really think of an appropriate type anymore from that name alone.

As for the Norse myth, its best to wait for any concrete evidence I agree, though its still possible they could just draw inspiration from multiple Euro mythologies. We'll know for sure as we find out more about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Porygon View Post

Anyway, Yveltal has absolutely nothing to do with Yggdrasil - the latter's a tree for goodness sake. The supposed Norse connection has been much exaggerated.
    LOL Not the tree but the bird sitting on top of the tree is what people are speculating on as well as the stags/deer around it. Theres an image I posted in this thread earlier that shows it. I'm more on the fence, its a possibility but its best to wait till we get more info on the legends till we know for certain. All speculation, but theres no harm in that.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Visit Apex's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Porygon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex View Post

I didn't actually know TPCi gave out pronunciation guides - this might be a first for them. They could have done that for Arceus and saved the fanbase a lot of bickering.

It was on Serebii and Pokebeach, though when they linked to the XY mini-site, they apparently removed it for some reason. EDIT: I meant removed the mini-site itself, TPCI did that.

SEAHAWKS SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

Blog Entries

Green Zubat: I'm not particularly clinging to one theory: I've pointed at least two, one for name origin (French Cerf, deer) and one for more general inspiration (Xerneas is based on Cernunnos, a deer-inspired God). Am I saying one of them is particularly likely?No

But any of them is infinitely better than the Norse theory, which is a combination of excessively obscure elements (those animals around Yggdrasil are known only from a handful of passing mentions in one of the Eddas. They're not major parts of Norse mythology) and wishful thinking.

Your only other argument was "it's european". So what? Celtic mythology is European (and closer to France). Latin mythology is European (and closer to France). Greek mythology is European (and closer to France). Gallic mythology is European (and decidedly French). Germanic mythology is European (and closer to France).

Honestly, at this point the most convincing line of thought I found is this: Artemis, goddess of the moon and feminine element, symbolic animal: the deer/hind vs Apollo, god of the Sun, and masculine elements, symbolic animal: the hawk.

The theory is not mine. It's from one of the other BMG staffers. It seems far more likely than the Yggdrasil theory.

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast