Ken Sugimori hints at reverting to simplicity in Generation VII

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree893Likes

Thread: Ken Sugimori hints at reverting to simplicity in Generation VII

Blog Entries

Default Ken Sugimori hints at reverting to simplicity in Generation VII

The following is a translation (courtesy of @クリスタル) of a news entry posted yesterday in Japanese:

In the magazine “We Love Pokémon”, Game Freak's Ken Sugimori commented on the seventh generation of Pokémon.

When asked what the next generation of Pokémon games will be like if such a plan exists, Sugimori commented that they will not add more layers of complexity, but rather revert back to simplicity, in part by using elements found in Pokémon Red and Green. Therefore, there is now speculation that Game Freak may opt for this route in developing Generation VII.

As a side note, not only the number of games, but also the number of Pokémon, moves, abilities, items, etc. increase as each new generation is introduced, to such a degree that is difficult to remember all of them. It is impossible to decrease the amount of Pokémon, and such a move is assumed to be uncalled for, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

Also, Sugimori thought that other than the content of the game, Pokémon designs could probably be simplified, as well. As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.
    I'm surprised that Sugimori is not only discussing the next generation, but also implies that some elements (excluding the Pokémon) may be removed or at least simplified. What exactly would that entail? Would it be a beneficial move? I sense that Generation VII will not follow Generation V's footsteps in capitalizing on new Pokémon, since he basically said that a high count of Pokémon is not necessarily preferred. For reference, here is an old quote from an interview about Black and White:

Mr Sugimori, how did you design the creatures for this game?

Ken Sugimori: As you know, Diamond and Pearl have already been released for the DS, making this is the second game for the DS (not including HeartGold/SoulSilver, Platinum or other spin offs). So if you create something similar it's going to look very similar.

So that was a challenge from the beginning. We wanted to make it very different from the previous game so we started thinking about how we could add something new and give a feeling of how new it is.

Mr Masuda gave us a mission - every Pokémon that appears in this game has to be brand new. No existing Pokémon. And so that meant it was a big challenge and we had to create a Pokémon world that is completely different.

In the Pokémon world there are Pokémon that look like dogs, horses and deer - as you can see, we always look at wild animals to get the inspiration. But those Pokémon - the dogs, deer or horses - already exist in previous games, so we took a fresh start, we went back to basics. We had to create something different. We took the designers to the zoo to look at animals to study the different animals.
    Note that by "going back to the basics" he was referring to revisiting familiar animals while using a different style. Generation VII will apparently try to recapture the simplicity of Generation I, so I would think that the concepts (as opposed to the style) would be different. I actually haven't seen Sugimori describe the approach used for XY (apart from the fact that he had difficulty designing Xerneas and Yveltal). I assume that the latest interview addresses that, but the news entry only mentions the part about the future.

Default Re: Ken Sugimori hints at reverting to simplicity in Generation VII

I hope they're not going to outright remove a bunch of game mechanics or something...

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I think it might mean they'll get rid of some moves/abilities that are useless and are a waste of space. Hope they get rid of moves like Splash. Why do we even need a move that does nothing whatsoever.
    They might also reorganize some moves that have overlapping effects. Tackle and Pound. Just... make them into one move. Not like they're too different anyways.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

It sounds to me like releasing not that many new pokemon may become a common thing, which I think sucks. I feel like they should be able to better manage existing pokemon in a way that sorta cycles through a large number through generations so some pokemon don't become completely irrelevant. That way they can introduce decent numbers each gen.

I get a bad feeling about this. Though admittedly we could trim some of the fat, wouldn't removing abilities or moves cause compatibility issues?

If they're just talking about Pokemon designs, I wouldn't like that at all. Gen 1 has some of the worst designs of any other generation.

Blog Entries

I wish that the article wasn't a summary of Sugimori, but rather direct quotes. Sugimori's choice of words could yield information about where Game Freak is as far as the development of Gen. VII is concerned. I would imagine that they're well into development, but I don't know what that would mean for the future release date (2015? 2016? When?). The nods to another generation that we've been receiving lately are welcomed, though. I would love to see a more simplified Pokemon universe again, like Sugimori acknowledges. It has definitely gotten a bit unkempt in recent generations.

追放されたバカ

I don't like the sound of this. 72 new Pokemon is a poor performance on Game Freak's part if they are saying this is the start of a trend I think this will be to their detriment.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I wonder if this means that the small number of new Pokemon is going to continue in Gen 7. I mean I dont feel that Pokemon need to be overly complex and I have no problem with some simple designs. I dunno if removing moves and stuff is really the right thing to do though. I have to hope Gen 7 isnt too simple :/

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by lugia61617 View Post
    I get a bad feeling about this. Though admittedly we could trim some of the fat, wouldn't removing abilities or moves cause compatibility issues?
    Like I stated, some moves like Pound and Tackle are basically the same. Removing one of them isn't going to wreck havoc in the pokemon move-set. Splash? Does anyone use Splash in battles?

As for abilities, they'll probably trim some of them with overlapping effects. Iirc, there are a few abilities that prevent Sleep. There are also quite a few abilities that have the same effect as Mold Breaker. Change some of them so that it's just Mold Breaker.

It won't be anything major that it affects the game so badly that battles are broken, rest assured. This is GF - they are professionals. Surely they know what they are doing.

Blog Entries

Oh dear. I'm not sure this is a good thing. I love generation one but it was good in spite of its technological limitations and the resulting simplicity, not because of it. With a series as repetitive as Pokemon is already taking big steps BACK is not a good thing, especially when we're just starting to catch up to modern systems (no 3D battles on the handheld games until the 3DS when the DS was more than capable of it, for example, and when it had been done on the N64).

Blog Entries

Not liking the sound of this. I expected the "not many new pokemon" to be a thing now, but even more than that has my alarm bells going off.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really hope this means they'll remove (or at the very least streamline) the IV system. I hate that thing.

Why should my Chespin be better or worse than another player's? Let's face it, aside from making certain Pokemon worse for no reason, the IV system is only worth using to determine Hidden Power type, and let's be honest, they could attach that to a much less grating mechanic.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

If less new pokemon and more pandering to nostalgia and the game becoming simpler will be a thing then I'm just gonna drop pokemon after this gen.
    W2 fc 0090-1062-6863 mj
    w fc 0176-0145-6014 mj

The simplicity of the original games wasn't a good thing either.
    Let's review what has advanced;

Introduction of IVs/EVs (debatable on whether or not it is 'good', but it certainly makes pokemon more unique)
    The Physical/Special Split (Very important detail)
    The introduction of 3 new types (Also important due to balance issues)
    Design improvements (Trubbish trounces Grimer, for example).
    The introduction of abilities!
    3D battles with cel-shaded Pokemon to retain their design style
    The GTS. Wonder Trading. Battle Spot!

What COULD be simplified without too much ire?
    Well, I hate to say it, but Megas. If some of them were replaced with normal evolutions (Mawiiiiiille), people wouldn't mind.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast