The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion - Page 36

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree381Likes

Thread: The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Region Speculation and Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Chesman View Post
    France seems to have hit a creative nerve within Masuda for the region which is really new and unexpected. Personally while I hold high esteem for France, if he's acting this way for France, I wanna see how the hell he's gonna act with other countries.
    One big reason he's acting like this about France is that...well...he's Japanese. The Japanese are very much head-over-heels in love with French culture with France having around six million Japanese tourists annually. So many Japanese visits France that some have actually become disillusioned that the actual place doesn't live up to their preconceived notions.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Dex

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Chesman View Post
    Being a US citizen for a good chunk of my life, even if in childhood, lol okay whatever you say. The only differences discernable are political views and even then it boils down to semantics. But for the sake of arguement what cultural differences are there? What is there on a cultural level in the same sense that differs France and Italy in the states? Do they have different art movements in various eras? Is there a vast architectural difference when moving east to west and back? And the history, surely you can,t mean that as well. For me as one country, just because its big doesn't mean it changes. Different lifestyle choices? Sure. Different cultures? No.
    The geography and lifestyle are a huge part of it. Look at the Northeast vs. the South, for example, the South is a much more rural and agricultural area than the urban and industrial Northeast. The differences were so great that it sparked a civil war 150 years ago. Not sure about the art, and the lore is exactly the same, but those factors don't really matter in region design, as they can make their own based on the general theme of the region (Unova's legends, after all, are not based on any legend in American history). All they need to design a region is some real world areas to base them and a general theme.
    I feel like they managed to get a good general spread of the U.S. with Gen V. There are no mountains, deserts, beach resorts, wilderness, or cowboys/ranchers (or whatever the heck Clay is) in New York City. But still they included them because they needed to encompass the entire country. That's not to say that there won't be another U.S. - based region, but not for a while and at most I'd say one other. Other parts of Europe and Asia, Africa, Australia, South America and even Canada I would think would be more appealing and original for them.
    Gaga, Juvarra and VeggiePopper like this.

Go home Kalos rivers, you're drunk.
    My URPG Stats

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I would absolutely hate to see them do a region based on Africa, because I know for a fact all it would do would be further the stereotype that Africa's all one big country that's the same thing across the board.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    I would absolutely hate to see them do a region based on Africa, because I know for a fact all it would do would be further the stereotype that Africa's all one big country that's the same thing across the board.
    I've always wondered why they always do that on media, when it's not only a continent, but also one of the bigger ones (it's much larger than Europe and Oceania together). An African-based region would be fine if they do ir correctly - taking only one contry or region rather than the entire continent.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries

Either that, or have a region based on Africa as a whole with the cities based on countries, with emphasis on the varied cultures between the cities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Either that, or have a region based on Africa as a whole with the cities based on countries, with emphasis on the varied cultures between the cities.
    No, because even if the cities reflected each country, they would still be subjected to being one single region and therefore enforce the stereotype that it is one country. Not only that, but also Africa has more than 30 countries, which no other Pokémon game has featured yet, so not all the countries would be represented and LOTS of them would have to be sacrificed. Finally, it would be insulting to those countries as Pokémon regions are either a country or part of a country to provide a better, richer vision of the respective country. Refusing such treatment to the African countries would be insulting to them.

DJ Mary #1 Fan! GoldFromNewBarkTown's Avatar

well , totally agree , I dont think thats all only about France, but there will be european references at all. I don't know if you agree, but you can find european culture references in Sinnoh too!

There isn't going to be a region based on Africa any time soon for the simple reason that Africa isn't a big market for Pokemon games.

Another European or an Australian region is far more likely.
    Bolt the Cat and Lugiafanatic like this.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    For the most part, country borders mean very little to people in much of Africa, they were merely drawn by colonials. Each country is comprised of dozens if not hundreds of tribes, each with their own unique cultures. You can't just have Kenyatown, and Ghanaville. Excluding Egypt and arguably Morocco, nothing in Africa is terribly well known visually. People think it's a lot of mud huts. That gives them no real reason to base a region off of it. As far as pokemon go, take as much of African fauna as you want. Pretty much anything visually striking in the Americas were killed of thousands of years ago, and they don't do a whole lot of pokemon based off of extinct animals excluding fossils. Region wise I don't see Africa anywhere near being in the pipeline, and I'm not at all bothered by that.
    Bolt the Cat likes this.

Blog Entries

As far as future regions go, a region based off of Russia seems possible to me.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Dex

Africa could work, but I think they'd need at least a few different parts. Northern Africa would probably be the biggest opportunity, with Egypt, the Mediterranean, the Atlas Mountains, the Sahara, and Gibraltar all seeming like they would translate great to Pokemon locations. It would probably have to be scaled down a bit to seem like it could be considered all one region, whereas every other region has been scaled up or remained about the right size.

edit: looking back at this, we're getting a bit off topic here. oops.

My URPG Stats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    Gibraltar.
    Actually, it could be incorporated into a Spain-based region similar to Sakhalin in Sinnoh.

Dex

True, you could Have a Spain/ Northwest Africa region, and then you don't have to span all the way from Gibraltar to Egypt in one region.
    VeggiePopper likes this.

My URPG Stats

Formely Foreign Travler Isramon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Isramon On Twitter

I would have liked if they made a region based on my area (look to the left to see where I'm going with this). Sure it's controversial, but it's great to make a region out of (geographicly speaking): We not only have a sea, but we have two lakes: The Galile Sea and The Dead Sea (which are great for water routes), we have forests and plains and even a desert (The Negev).
    3DS FC: 1547-5466-8771
    Never stop dreaming

Avatar by EVsaur EVsaur's Art Shop

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Default Re: The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

I think we're going to get some sort of enchanted forest in Kalos, especially now Xerneas is confirmed as a Fairy and is probably going to have a major role. And with Orotto the creepy tree and the other fairies, I just think a magical forest is going to happen.

Also seems we're getting a cave with crystal formations.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 8th January 2013, 02:03 PM
  2. 8th January 2013, 07:37 AM