The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion - Page 34

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree381Likes

Thread: The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Region Speculation and Discussion Thread

It's kind of gotten old to talk about the regional map, but yesterday I realized two strange things (at least for me) about the sandy are left of Lumiose City.

First of all, if you haven't already memorized the whole map (like I), here it is. I chose this smaller pic on purpose, because it's useful for the first strange thing I noticed....

1. It looks out of place.

Really look at the whole pic at once. (Looking from a distance may help.) Everything kind of blends in together, even the icy areas in the east. But the sand is just a brownish yellow circle in the middle of nothing. It's not like the grass slowly begins changing colour, it's too random. (The grass doesn't change for the ice part, but the snow just seems to fit.)
    After seeing this, I thought it was not likely that the artist was too lazy or something. It looks like they did it on purpose, especially considering the sand is pretty circular. So I started thinking, what if this has something to do with the story? What if the evil team put up those pods, for a project that takes out lava from the underground (?), causing extreme heat around those areas, leading to desertification?
    What if the plot in the game has something to do with saving the environment..?

2. Extreme Inaccuracy...?

Now remember that around those pods, there looks to be only sand. But remember this from the first trailer? In that pic, we can see there are mountainous structure surrounding the pods. But they're not present in the map... Initially, I thought there could be two reasons for this:
    A) The game footage was too early, and they changed it after so there were no mountains.
    B) The map is extremely inaccurate.
    Later, I remember this pic for a trailer in June. In it, you can still see mountains in the background. Hence, reason A must be wrong.
    But I wonder about why they would make the map such... Of course, they never have made them accurate since Unova, but those mountains look big enough and significant enough to be drawn. And they rarely miss out on drawing mountains and caves, so why did they not do this one....?

Then, I thought maybe I was thinking backwards. It would make sense that they design the region's map first, and then make the graphics in the game, but even then, why did they decide to include those mountainous structures in the first place...?

(Maybe I went too far with this one, and there really is no reason other than making it look better...)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    This is completely beside the point, but I get a warm, fuzzy and vaguely manic feeling when I see all these posts from other forums on here and realize the pokemon fandom is incredibly interconnected. We're all here and there and over there....it's cool in a sort of, "Oh God, I don't know why I'm laughing!" way.

Unova's map makes a sudden transition from desert to grass....

Pearl FC: 0689 8559 2961
    Platinum FC: 3868 1384 3198
    SoulSilver FC: 2021 2908 5745
    Black 2 FC: 4170 2700 6717

My shop!

Blog Entries

First is just a case of Patchwork Map, something that happens in all sorts of video games, including Pokemon. Second, I have no clue. That Helioptile might not take place in the desert area, though.

Also the mountains might just be decoration in the Helioptile battle scene.

As well, there are very little trees in the Kalos artwork, yet there are plenty in the game. Same concept, I suppose.

My shop!

Blog Entries

I do understand the sand stuff could be because it's a Patchwork Map, and the sand doesn't make a good transition in Unova either, but the deal breaker is that the shape is circular....
    Too circular imo.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lugiafanatic View Post
    As well, there are very little trees in the Kalos artwork, yet there are plenty in the game. Same concept, I suppose.
    Except mountains have a higher tendency to be illustrated, not individual trees.
    This is completely beside the point, but I get a warm, fuzzy and vaguely manic feeling when I see all these posts from other forums on here and realize the pokemon fandom is incredibly interconnected. We're all here and there and over there....it's cool in a sort of, "Oh God, I don't know why I'm laughing!" way.

Yeah, but compare it to the artwork from Gen III on; there are trees everywhere--In Kalos, there are huge stretches without a single one.

My shop!

Dex

I feel like the style of map art has changed this generation. If anything, I feel like this one is "less 3D" than some others.

I think the portrayal of map has been simplified significantly in style, which actually allows more things to be shown, if that makes any sense.
    Phoenixon and UnovaCastaway like this.

Go home Kalos rivers, you're drunk.
    My URPG Stats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    I feel like the style of map art has changed this generation. If anything, I feel like this one is "less 3D" than some others.

I think the portrayal of map has been simplified significantly in style, which actually allows more things to be shown, if that makes any sense.
    (What do you mean about feeling "less 3D"?)

(About the simplification of the map) Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. When I look at the map of Sinnoh, for example, I do appreciate the great amount of detail, but there's so many things that you don't really know what's what. But by making the detail of each city less, it allows them to show the other cities better, and showing only what's significant is more important than showing (as it is in the Sinnoh map) every sinlge Pokemon center and small house that exists.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixon View Post

(About the simplification of the map) Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. When I look at the map of Sinnoh, for example, I do appreciate the great amount of detail, but there's so many things that you don't really know what's what. But by making the detail of each city less, it allows them to show the other cities better, and showing only what's significant is more important than showing (as it is in the Sinnoh map) every sinlge Pokemon center and small house that exists.
    I think he means that with so much simplification, the land now looks flat because it lacks the trees that add volume to the empty, unaccesible spaces in the previous maps. Without said volume, the land as I said, looks "flat" and therefore "less 3D-ish".

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixon View Post

I think he means that with so much simplification, the land now looks flat because it lacks the trees that add volume to the empty, unaccesible spaces in the previous maps. Without said volume, the land as I said, looks "flat" and therefore "less 3D-ish".
    The Kanto and Johto maps from the first two generations had that same problem.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

You know, I think I figured out the path through the region. I have no map to show this, but well, its basic really, so its not too hard to imagine from my description.
    -Starting town to Lumiose, that much is a given.
    -From Lumiose, you go west to the desert.
    -Desert to Lighthouse costal city in the northwest corner of it.
    -Then loop around from there through costal Kalos.
    -Return to Lumiose.
    -From Lumiose go to Windmill City.
    -Do another loop, but this time you go back to Santalune via Victory Road.
    -From there go to mountain city north of Lumiose,for 8th gym.
    -Depending on version, go to northeast/southeast corner for Legendary Pokemon.
    -Proceed to E4.

Somewhat linear in a non-linear way, and with all the different things on the road, its gonna be much more open compared to Unova. Hell, maybe they're gonna shunt you back and forth in the region, slowly going farther out in costal/mountain Kalos.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Chesman View Post
    You know, I think I figured out the path through the region. I have no map to show this, but well, its basic really, so its not too hard to imagine from my description.
    -Return to Lumiose.
    -Proceed to E4.
    I don't think we'll go through the Coastal loop counter-clockwise, because to proceed west from the lighthouse city we seem to need Surf, and it would be too early for Surf to appear. I'm thinking we'll probably go the other way through Coastal Kalos.

Somewhat linear in a non-linear way, and with all the different things on the road, its gonna be much more open compared to Unova. Hell, maybe they're gonna shunt you back and forth in the region, slowly going farther out in costal/mountain Kalos.
    Now this would be interesting.
    Lugiafanatic likes this.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    -Return to Lumiose.
    -Proceed to E4.
    I don't think we'll go through the Coastal loop counter-clockwise, because to proceed west from the lighthouse city we seem to need Surf, and it would be too early for Surf to appear. I'm thinking we'll probably go the other way through Coastal Kalos.

Now this would be interesting.
    Yeah that was the only thing that bugged me, post gym 4 is the usual surf time. But you have to remembert that mounts exist and that they could work around it. And yeah jutting about the region would be cool and could work, perhaps easier then focusing on one side then the other. There are a lot of work around routes and lumiose has at least 4 exits plus the lake path on the north side.t
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Default A location that based on Carnac

After I read the news from this site, I look for a location on the Kalos region map and there it is. It's confirmed :D

I think it's another Pokémon Tower, where all the dead Pokémon rest in peace.
    What do you think?
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic65280_2.gif
    I'm okay... I'm just... need to be alone right now...

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was more of a Stonehenge than a possible grave site, at first. Though, I was wondering what would be the burial grounds of the Kalos region, and I did think of that place, so it could be.
    Lugiafanatic likes this.

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 8th January 2013, 02:03 PM
  2. 8th January 2013, 07:37 AM