Just how powerful would the asteroid from the Delta Episode be?

Thread: Just how powerful would the asteroid from the Delta Episode be?

Blog Entries

Default Just how powerful would the asteroid from the Delta Episode be?

I was watching a ProtoMario video about his theory that the meteor, asteroid, whatever, was no threat, and quickly debunked his theory and my results were quite mindblowing and I'm sure a lot of you can appreciate these finds. Steven Stone's father states that the asteroid is 6 miles wide, this source here (Asteroid Impact That Killed the Dinosaurs: New Evidence | Chicxulub Crater) states that an object that large hitting the earth would create an explosion as powerful as 100 trillion tons of TNT, which is 100 billion kilotons of TNT, which is much stronger than the most powerful nuclear object currently in existence, the Tsar Bomba, which is about 100,000 kilotons of TNT. Now, using a nuke map simulator here: NUKEMAP (Classic) by Alex Wellerstein you can enter in 100 billion kilotons for a theoretical nuke of equivalent power to that asteroid. The results are, simply put, amazing.

6-mile-asteroid.jpg

From this image here, you have five circles that represent an effect, the green circle is heavy radiation, and you can read what it does on the image or on the website, that encircles most of Hoenn's major island, all of Hoenn, Johto, and most of Kanto gets hit by the actual fireball, the strong airblast that follows hits the rest of Kanto that wasn't hit. A weaker, but still deadly airblast moves up into Sinnoh, and the last circle, which is thermal radiation, is so large, it actually comes back around to create a small circle near South America which is the only area NOT affected by this at all, Unova and Kalos would experience thermal radiation.

Fun Fact: Guyana, the supposed birth place of Mew, was just outside of the unaffected circle by maybe 1,000 miles.

So yeah, it's a good thing Rayquaza complied and destroyed it.

To put it simply, it doesn't matter if it's an asteroid or a nuke, something that powerful would essentially destroy the planet.
    Restarting Omega Ruby, making my in-game team a competitive, well-natured, EV trained team.
    I'm gonna switch between Swampert and Manectric as my Megas. Also, check out my blog for my Omega Ruby Playthrough!
    Projected Team:

Default Re: Just how powerful would the asteroid from the Delta Episode be?

let e guess the theory that was debunked was that the Asteroid would had "merely" made the island where one finds the Deoxys in Gen III?

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The blast itself doesn't actually have to kill everything, the amount of debris it would shoot into the atmosphere, blocking out the sun's rays would do the rest. But yeah, interested to know what that original theory was that was debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    let e guess the theory that was debunked was that the Asteroid would had "merely" made the island where one finds the Deoxys in Gen III?
    There are clearly differences between RSE and ORAS that create homologous structures. For instance, RSE!Sootopolis was formed from the crater of a dormant volcano, while ORAS!Sootopolis was from the crater of a previous meteor strike. Why would people assume that Birth Island must have been the asteroid? For all we know, the actual asteroid was tiny and just hit Birth Island with little to no effect, or tha the Birth Island Deoxys (in both universes) had already been there the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    The blast itself doesn't actually have to kill everything, the amount of debris it would shoot into the atmosphere, blocking out the sun's rays would do the rest. But yeah, interested to know what that original theory was that was debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    There are clearly differences between RSE and ORAS that create homologous structures. For instance, RSE!Sootopolis was formed from the crater of a dormant volcano, while ORAS!Sootopolis was from the crater of a previous meteor strike. Why would people assume that Birth Island must have been the asteroid? For all we know, the actual asteroid was tiny and just hit Birth Island with little to no effect, or tha the Birth Island Deoxys (in both universes) had already been there the whole time.
    A supervolcano erupting would have the same effect then a large asteroid impact then

and as for why, well I assume that was the theory in question cause I red it on tvtropes' fridge page. The assumption itself might have originated from the fact that Deoxys and meteors were involved in both cases, as well as triangles

Blog Entries

You can look it up, but the theory is more or less him saying "the asteroid is small and wasn't a threat on a global level". He took the size depicted in the Rayquaza scene literally when I'm pretty sure it was scaled down for visual purposes. It was stated to be 6 miles wide.

Swood dis! Swood dat! Jimmy The Swood Guy's Avatar
    Follow Jimmy The Swood Guy On Twitter
    Follow Jimmy The Swood Guy on Tumblr Visit Jimmy The Swood Guy's Youtube Channel

So you're telling me ProtoMario fucked up another theory? Man, I'm shocked. Shocked!

(Actually not shocked at all.)

Hey, check out my story, One Big Conspiracy! I made it myself!
    CLAIMS: Honchkrow, Hex, Johto Pokedex (Gen. IV), Wise Glasses, The Scout, Judy Nails, Revy

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

If we weren't keeping that Meteorite in our bags... *shudder*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriaki View Post
    If we weren't keeping that Meteorite in our bags... *shudder*
    My thoughts exactly. xD

To me it's mindblowing that the damage would be so great, the largest circle wraps back around the planet to create a very small "safe spot"...

Age of Ultron anyone? Just a sidenote :P

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by EmpoleonProd View Post
    You can look it up, but the theory is more or less him saying "the asteroid is small and wasn't a threat on a global level". He took the size depicted in the Rayquaza scene literally when I'm pretty sure it was scaled down for visual purposes. It was stated to be 6 miles wide.
    To be fair, I've also measured the asteroid in the cutscene, and while it could be six miles wide as previously stated, it's only 70 ft. long and 70 ft. tall... Which would be an extremely weird-looking asteroid.

So I think it's much more reasonable to assume that out of sheer panic, the Mossdeep scientists got it wrong.

Reversal! Reversal! BlackOsprey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kaiomann View Post
    Age of Ultron anyone? Just a sidenote :P
    Here's a headcanon: Deoxys is actually Ultron's sentience uploaded into an alien virus that traveled across space and time (in an alternate universe) after escaping the Avengers. He decided to ride a meteor on the way because he likes the things. Then he noticed it was on a crash-course to a planet with humans on it and decided, "Okay, I'll carry out my plan here!"

When I watched that sequence in Episode Delta, I guess I kind of merrily ignored the whole "six miles wide" thing in the text and took the cutscene at face value. Six miles wide = everyone dies, but I assumed the meteor was no larger than Megaquaza's length... which probably would've fizzled out before even impacting the planet's surface.
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Marik

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, Skill Link, Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.
    Can you ever have too many claims? ...Nah, of course not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackButterfree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmpoleonProd View Post
    To be fair, I've also measured the asteroid in the cutscene, and while it could be six miles wide as previously stated, it's only 70 ft. long and 70 ft. tall... Which would be an extremely weird-looking asteroid.

So I think it's much more reasonable to assume that out of sheer panic, the Mossdeep scientists got it wrong.
    I addressed this, the asteroid was scaled down for visual reasons, or else Rayquaza would be a twig up against it. I'm going with 6 miles wide hear, but I suppose that's your headcanon, that the scientists got it wrong.
    Restarting Omega Ruby, making my in-game team a competitive, well-natured, EV trained team.
    I'm gonna switch between Swampert and Manectric as my Megas. Also, check out my blog for my Omega Ruby Playthrough!
    Projected Team:

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If we want to talk about "how powerful" something is--Rayquaza destroyed an asteroid that was 6 miles in diameter enough to the point that there wasn't any debris large enough to cause any problems on Earth. It rammed itself head-on to the equivalent of 100 billion kilotons of TNT and survived with enough strength to dispose of Deoxys.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 18th May 2015 at 10:07 PM.

I Will Possess Your Heart TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add TheCapsFan on Facebook
    Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

It's not exactly similar, only kind of, but Game Theory actually used pixels and physics to prove that the moon crashing into the earth in TLOZ Majora's Mask isn't as destructive as it's made out to be; it's possible that the asteroid could be the same. However, it'd definitely be a lot harder to calculate. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    If we want to talk about "how powerful" something is--Rayquaza destroyed an asteroid that was 6 miles in diameter enough to the point that there wasn't any debris large enough to cause any problems on Earth. It rammed itself head-on to the equivalent of 100 billion kilotons of TNT and survived with enough strength to dispose of Deoxys.
    True that. Mega Evolution is.... Powerful.
    Projected Team: