Junichi Masuda Game Informer Interview - 3D models and MMO? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Junichi Masuda Game Informer Interview - 3D models and MMO?

No it's Dr. Strange, love Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Junichi Masuda Game Informer Interview - 3D models and MMO?

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    And yeah, he was cryptic about whether he was serious or not about the Wii U comment, but it is still an interesting thought. What if they later did something like Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Smash Bros 4, where there is improved communication between the 3DS and Wii U? (With DQX, the main gameplay is on the Wii and Wii U, but there are 3DS apps that let you street pass with other players and check bazaars and stuff. With Monster Hunter, you can play on either console with the same save file, but only go online on the Wii U).
    He was joking about B2W2, but perhaps the fact that he even raised the idea means that he is not as opposed to working with the Wii U as he was with the Wii.
    Obviously we won't see B2W2 ported to the Wii U, but the comment itself and the ambiguity of it (and in particular, how it could affect later instalments in the franchise) is the interesting bit. The fact that he ruled out B3W3 made me happy though.

It could be argued that Pokémon has already done the 3DS/Wii U thing I suggested with Stadium, Colo, PBR et al, but if they do decide to do something like that, it'll be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    The fact that he ruled out B3W3 made me happy though.
    I found it annoying because the interviewer was referring to sequels in general (as an alternative to third versions), as opposed to B3W3 in particular (which is admittedly a bad idea). Technically, Masuda didn't even rule out the latter, but at least his saying that they're satisfied with B2W2 implies that they won't regress to third versions anytime soon.

I think they are working on a 3DS main title, but Masuda can't give us clear information now.

They want to suprise us and we have to wait until this happen.

It's obvious that they created the 3D models of the Pokedex 3D for some bigger reason.

I'm sure they will use them in their first 3DS title.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dreamscape~ View Post
    I'm sure they will use them in their first 3DS title.
    Like the new MD game? Because they apparently used those models for it.

Can see 3d. Can't see a MMO.

An mmo would have to have a offline play mode since the games are primarily for handhelds and kids. As with early console mmo games an offline mode opens door for AR and dupe exploits. Clones and bugs then kill any online market/battling fairness and ruin it.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm fine with no MMO because I agree. I always loved making trade deals with my friends, figuring out breeding with them, etc. What would we be able to do in an MMO that we can't do now? Battle internationally? We have that. Trade with people? We have that. MMOs are all about online communication, which is something you get in Pokémon as well, just not in the same way.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arguably, an MMO trades away personal experience for a social one.

Pokémon REALLY relies on personal experience. One single save file, the near infinite way of building your party, naming each of your pokémon and preassumbly characterizing them as friends... it is ALL about your personal experience.
    And while it has an strong social aspect, the way Pokémon does it is by players "tying" their personal experiences. The team you've made, the strategy you've developed, that's what shows through social interactions.

Meanwhile, an MMO starts entirely from this social aspect and experience: everything you do is to socialize, the accomplishments are group ones, and it's more about enjoying other people in the game than the game at a personal level.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

If Pokemon become 3D, one thing I would like to see is what kind of graphic simulators will use to represent the newer Pokemon (it's likely the older ones will use the older sprite-based ones if it's full 3D). If they don't have 2D art akin to Pokemon Conquest, that would be even more interesting to see.

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

I'm a bit annoyed over how he jumps the question of whether there will be actual new cries for older pokémon with god-awful cries by current standards. At least we'll never see them change to the anime version, that would be ... horrible.

By having a lot more action-packed gameplay, or some kind of gameplay that requires timed button presses, it might be a little bit too difficult for some people, especially for people who aren’t used to playing games
    Nintendo (in general) catering to people who don't play games often? News at 11!

In a more serious note, it's good that they're not considering gameplay that involves pushing a button. That would be so utter crap in a battle system like pokémon that favors strategy.

Also
    Masuda says that despite the shared investment, no one forces them to design for a specific console or handheld, so it's up to Game Freak to decide when they want to move to the 3DS.
    Granted, he's using the word "forced", but I feel it would be rather naive if Nintendo didn't want the second best selling video game series of all time to have a main game on their current generation handheld platform more than two years after it's release (unless somehow a new 3DS game is released before February), and that they don't at least put some indirect pressure on Gamefreak because of this.

An MMO would be a totally shitty idea. I'm glad nothing like that is coming our way any time soon. I still don't get why people want this at all.

Blog Entries
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

In the Iwata Asks for B2W2, Satoru Iwata was very polite, but also came across clear enough that he was annoyed at GameFreak's decision to stay with the DS. So although they cannot be forced, I would not be surprised if Nintendo have at least said it to GameFreak informally.

Blog Entries

Rumor has it that Masuda doesn't favor the 3DS, that it doesn't have the following necessary. I do not fully trust this information. If it is true, then I have to ask how is this situation different than with previous handhelds? They went on them seemingly without question, and the promotions seem ready to change focus soon. If these are his thoughts, I question the future of Pokemon.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    Rumor has it that Masuda doesn't favor the 3DS, that it doesn't have the following necessary.
    He only said that in reference to the decision to release B2W2 for the DS; they wanted to be sure that anyone who played Black and White would be able to play the sequels. Game Freak are clearly interested in the 3DS in terms of future games:

"The 3DS has a lot of very cool features," he adds. "The 3D, new network features - we could challenge ourselves with that hardware, so we're definitely taking a look at it. We're very interested."
    "Taking a look at it" is almost certainly a euphemism for "we've been working on it for a while now".
    Last edited by Silktree; 23rd September 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    They should try use cel-shaded graphics for Gen VI if they want to combine the uniqueness of 2D models with 3D models. Just look at Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.
    Again, Battrio did it. And they really look fantastic on pokémon. Much better than the look of the current 3D games.

That game also had the models set up in an overhead general view, sorta like the "overworld" graphics, and they work pretty well even there.
    Unfortunately, GF might take a different route because Battrio doesn't belong to them, and stealing someone's idea is the last thing they'll ever try to do, even if it's just a mere coincidence.
    Why on earth using cel-shading would be "stealing someone's idea"?

It's impossible, said pride. It's risky, said experience. OU suspect, said Smogon.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    It has happened before. I once had a friend who claimed to be the original creator of Shadow the Hedgehog. He sent the concept to SEGA long ago, and they didn't give him credit for using him in Sonic Adventure 2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    It has happened before. I once had a friend who claimed to be the original creator of Shadow the Hedgehog. He sent the concept to SEGA long ago, and they didn't give him credit for using him in Sonic Adventure 2.
    I'm guessing said friend wasn't being entirely truthful...

Anyway guys, we're getting slightly off track - this thread isn't about whether using a similar art style to someone else is copying or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast