IVs
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IVs

Overthinking Everything xelda57's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add xelda57 on Google+
    Follow xelda57 on Tumblr Visit xelda57's Youtube Channel

Default IVs

I hope that nobody has made a thread like this yet.

Here, you can post about surprising IVs of pokemon that you have (or had).

Also, any little-known trivia about IVs is welcome.

I didn't know anything about IVs until very recently.

When I found out that my Sawk, which was my only over-leveled pokemon throughout the main story of the game (and also my favorite), had almost the worst IVs possible, I was positively horrified. I was, however, extremely happy that my lvl. 4 oshawott had "relatively superior" overall IV and "fantastic" HP.
    I also liked the fact that my Victini, recieved via wifi gift, had the worst possible overall IV, but... absolutely PERFECT Attack.

So, what are some of your stories?
    You should read Cucumber Quest because it's a rad webcomic that anyone can enjoy.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: IVs

I would suggest Rnging for ivs. Why? Because, I've been breeding for a immunity gligar with perfect ivs in attack, def, hp and speed and impish nature since almost 15 weeks now. Almost 500 eggs later,I managed to get a gligar who is perfect in all regards excepth one thing- his nature is modest. At that point I realised what those rng guys at smogon meant when they said, "Your game hates you."

I wish they would simplify breeding for ivs. For example, they could bring a system where the baby mon always inherits 31 ivs in a stat automatically if his parents also have 31 ivs in that stat. And if you want to breed for specific ivs like 0 for speed for pokes using gyro ball, you can make him hold the power items, where the baby mon 100% inherits the exact ivs of that stat from his parent's stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Always remember that your pokemon's Nature is far more important than its IVs. In order from most important to least important, the factors affecting your pokemon's stats are as follows: Nature, EVs, IVs. (Strictly speaking, EVs and IVs can be more important than Nature in a stat, provided that your pokemon is of a species that has a very low baseline for that stat; for example, Blissey's Defense.)

I'm breeding for a Garchomp right now that I plan to use on the Battle Subway. After some breeding yesterday, I have a female Gible that is Jolly with IVs (30, 31, 31, 10, 31, 2) and a male Gible that knows Outrage and has IVs (30, 27, 31, 16, 31, 31). I've just put them in the Daycare centre, holding an Everstone and the Speed power item respectively. Looking forward to getting some good offspring from those.

Trying to get "perfect" IVs is a fool's errand (unless you RNG, which I regard as an exploit and won't do). But by breeding carefully you can get pokemon with very good IVs in surprisingly little time. This is true particularly when you have pre-existing breeding stock.
    White FC: 4212 5061 5447. Pokédex status
    I'm interested in trading for foreign-language Pokédex ticks I don't yet have, and trading to Geonet locations I haven't traded to yet (see link). VM/PM me about it!

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't strive for perfection, so having perfect IVs isn't necessary to me. However, I do like Pokemon with great IVs, which of those I have a few. Even some of my Pokemon with "average" IVs have turned out incredibly well in battle, like my VGC Slowking.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

I breed most of my Pokemon for at least "above average IV's", when training my Pokemon. Just recently I had achieved another Lvl. 100, which is my Haxorus. I bred a Fraxure with a Japanese Ditto holding a Macho Brace (partly to hope for a shiny) and received a "relatively superior IV's", Adamant Natured Axew.

I trained it hard and when my Haxorus reached it's final level I used the EV drinks and feathers to max it's EV's in certain areas. This is what I have achieved below:

Haxorus @ Lum Berry - Lvl. 100
    Type:
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Nature: Adamant
    Move Set:
    -Rock Slide
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Dragon Dance

Base Stats:
    HP - 318
    Attack - 424
    Defence - 204
    Special Attack - 127
    Special Defence - 201
    Speed - 228

I'm proud of this one it really did pay off and a Pokemon having very high IV's usually does pay off. IV's are very important to me now and this is why :D

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

As others have said, I won't go as far as getting perfect IVs in every stat, but I do prefer my Pokemon to have at least "Relatively superior potential" and near 31 in two areas. Anything less and I won't want to use it. For example: I've got a special Movie 10 Darkrai who knows Spacial Rend and Roar of Time, but I haven't trained it up for competitive battles because I'm too ashamed of its downright awful IVs.

HP: 0
    Atk: 0
    Def: 6
    Sp.Atk: 6
    Sp.Def: 6
    Spd: 0

Who is this git?

♦ ceaseless rain ♦ Neosquid's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Neosquid on Facebook
    Follow Neosquid on Tumblr

I don't need all my IV's to be perfect (but in some cases a perfect Speed is useful), but I do need most of the IVs to be decent. For example, my Sharpedo has an Attack IV of 9. That is unacceptable, so I'm breeding a new one.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm finding that breeding for 0 IVs in a certain stat is even more of a chore. I've gotten some oustanding potential Ferroseeds with 31 IVs in Defense AND Special Defense... but then have like a 17 for Speed and something even lower for its HP, which is like the third most important stat for a Ferroseed/Ferrothorn to have. And naturally, to make its Gyro Ball a nightmare, my Ferroseed needs 0 IVs in speed to make the best of that. Even more irritating is getting Ferroseeds with 31 IVs in both areas in defense, so then it all comes out to breeding with Power items to ensure both those IVs are passed down to the egg, or keeping the Everstone on one of them to make getting the right nature less of a hassle at the risk of not getting all the IV benefits.

I've got a new outstanding Ferroseed right now with 31 IVs in Defense and Special defense with the right nature (Relaxed, plus bred with Leech Seed and Stealth Rock) that I've yet to train. I'm wary of it disappointing me like all the others. XD

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Hey, I'm new to the concept of IVs and EVs. Can someone please tell me how to gauge if a number of IVs is good or bad? I've used IV calculators but they just gave me the number of IVs in each category so I don't know how those numbers measured up.
    Check out my blog to see how my Nuzlocke run's going.

Overthinking Everything xelda57's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add xelda57 on Google+
    Follow xelda57 on Tumblr Visit xelda57's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by xanderthevampire View Post
    Hey, I'm new to the concept of IVs and EVs. Can someone please tell me how to gauge if a number of IVs is good or bad? I've used IV calculators but they just gave me the number of IVs in each category so I don't know how those numbers measured up.
    Well, if I understand your question correctly...

Go to the Battle Subway in Nimbasa City.
    Talk to the blue-haired guy, the closest person to the stairs.
    He will introduce himself as the Judge.
    Choose the pokemon that you want to check the IVs of.
    Go to Bulbapedia and go to the Individual Values page.
    Scroll all the way down to Gen V.
    Check what the man says about your pokemon and its best stat(s) and compare it to what it says on Bulbapedia.

The higher the IVs, the better. 31 is the highest possible IVs for one stat.

Potential=IVs
    You should read Cucumber Quest because it's a rad webcomic that anyone can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    I'm finding that breeding for 0 IVs in a certain stat is even more of a chore. I've gotten some oustanding potential Ferroseeds with 31 IVs in Defense AND Special Defense... but then have like a 17 for Speed and something even lower for its HP, which is like the third most important stat for a Ferroseed/Ferrothorn to have. And naturally, to make its Gyro Ball a nightmare, my Ferroseed needs 0 IVs in speed to make the best of that. Even more irritating is getting Ferroseeds with 31 IVs in both areas in defense, so then it all comes out to breeding with Power items to ensure both those IVs are passed down to the egg, or keeping the Everstone on one of them to make getting the right nature less of a hassle at the risk of not getting all the IV benefits.

I've got a new outstanding Ferroseed right now with 31 IVs in Defense and Special defense with the right nature (Relaxed, plus bred with Leech Seed and Stealth Rock) that I've yet to train. I'm wary of it disappointing me like all the others. XD
    The easiest way of finding out the (approximate) IVs of your Ferroseed without needing to train it up is to take it to the Battle Institute (west of the Pokemon Center in Nimbasa City). Your pokemon is auto-leveled to level 50, and you can enter its stats and nature in an IV calculator (there are many on the internet) to find out what IVs it has.
    White FC: 4212 5061 5447. Pokédex status
    I'm interested in trading for foreign-language Pokédex ticks I don't yet have, and trading to Geonet locations I haven't traded to yet (see link). VM/PM me about it!

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I hatched a Timid Zorua which was something like 31/30/31/31/31/31 - without using RNG. Sure, I was using parents etc to manipulate what IVs got passed down; but that's definitely my best hatch yet.

Also, whenever I soft reset a Pokémon, most of the time if I get the nature I want (say Timid) the stat I want to be good (say Speed) will be below 5 xD

In terms of checking a Pokémon's IVs; I usually use the Battle Subway, or I set up an IR battle with my other DS, so the levels get rounded to level 50.

Quote Originally Posted by xelda57 View Post
    Well, if I understand your question correctly...

Go to the Battle Subway in Nimbasa City.
    Talk to the blue-haired guy, the closest person to the stairs.
    He will introduce himself as the Judge.
    Choose the pokemon that you want to check the IVs of.
    Go to Bulbapedia and go to the Individual Values page.
    Scroll all the way down to Gen V.
    Check what the man says about your pokemon and its best stat(s) and compare it to what it says on Bulbapedia.

The higher the IVs, the better. 31 is the highest possible IVs for one stat.

Potential=IVs
    I'm guessing that's in Gen V? Don't have those games I just use online IV calculators but if 31 is the highest in each stat, I can figure out how good mine are, no problem. Thanks
    Check out my blog to see how my Nuzlocke run's going.

Blog Entries

I'm really happy I got a Teddiursa with a Jolly IV's are great!!
    HP:18-19
    Atk: 30-31
    Def:20-21
    SAtk: 30-31
    SDef: 4-5
    Spe: 26-27

How do you pass on IV's? Like if I want to pass down a Def IV?

And I have a Shellder
    Atk: 26-27
    Def: 0-1

All around excellent IV's but the Def stat is rubbish =(
    Last edited by Articwolf10; 16th January 2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    I'm really happy I got a Teddiursa with a Jolly IV's are great!!
    Atk: 30-31
    Def:20-21

How do you pass on IV's? Like if I want to pass down a Def IV?
    In HGSS, you breed a Pokemon while the parent is holding the Power Item related to the IV you want to pass. For example, if you want to pass your parent's speed to it's offspring, then make it hold a Power Anklet. This does not apply to DPPt or before. I don't know whether it applies to BW.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast