ITT: let's predict new Pokemon spinoffs for 3DS

Thread: ITT: let's predict new Pokemon spinoffs for 3DS

Default ITT: let's predict new Pokemon spinoffs for 3DS

With Pokemon Conquest being a huge success and 3DS platform having viable DLC options, I believe that we'll see a lot more Pokemon franchise spinoffs.

Here's an idea to satisfy both the hardcore fans and Nintendo/Trollfreak greed. A new installment of TCG. Rules:
    1) no single player mode, online only;
    2) you purchase cards in closed packs of 10/20/60 (as in real life) with a set price of X real life USD per pack;
    3) players are able to battle each other using cards online, as well as trade their cards without playing.

Basically, instead of collecting the hard copies of cards, and seeing other players face-to-face, people will collect virtual stuff and compete virtually. With 3DS tight-ass security on ROMs and save data, no cheating will be possible for quite a time.

Blog Entries

Default Re: ITT: let's predict new Pokemon spinoffs for 3DS

Quote Originally Posted by xyzman View Post
    Why? I understand the idea behind making players purchase new cards via DLC, but the game itself should be worthwhile or otherwise people would be better off just buying new card sets.

Follow Season On Twitter Add Season on Facebook

Single Player should be an option..

Anyway, I could see them doing another Pokemon Ranger.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Id say another Ranger may happen. Mystery Dungeon is coming out for the US so I think it's possible for Ranger too.

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What have Creatures and Ambrella been up to since Pokepark 2/Pokedex 3D and Rumble Blast?
    Oh?

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I would say Snap, but I think that would be very annoying on the 3DS, because I would see them trying to make it like Dream Radar. Having to move around is fun for a gimmicky thing like Dream Radar, but if they were to implement that for a whole game, it would get old. It could still easily work as its own game not implementing gyro or whatever it is. Overall I see it working better as a Wii U title, but I could also see them releasing versions on both systems. I still have no idea why in 14 years they haven't released a follow up to that game.

Another TCG game would be fun, but definitely not one you couldn't play offline. I was never into the cards outside collecting them in their first few years of popularity, but I still really enjoyed when I played that game a few years ago.

Blog Entries

Probably another Pokémon Ranger, unfortunately. I'd love a sequel for Snap or Conquest instead of a Ranger game.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

I'd say hopefully another ranger. While easy the last 3 where great short burst of fun that could potentially rise in quality with the 3DS. If not, conquest 2, with HD sprite-work and everything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post
    I'd say hopefully another ranger. While easy the last 3 where great short burst of fun that could potentially rise in quality with the 3DS. If not, conquest 2, with HD sprite-work and everything.
    I doubt we will see another Pokémon game, be it main or just a spin-off, with 'sprite-work'. :/

PokeDex Pro Directors Cut

Includes shiny pokemon and gender differences, BUT it will cost you 49 cents per pokemon to see their shiny and gender differences.

And you have to buy the different regions again.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I would seriously love a Ranger game for the 3DS. I really like those spin-off games, so seeing that getting an upgrade to a new system would be cool. A sequel to Conquest or Snap would be great too, although thinking of how I'd need to move around the system to take a picture for a whole game might get annoying after awhile. Another crossover game with a different franchise could be cool, even though I'm not sure what other series they could crossover with for a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by xyzman View Post
    With Pokemon Conquest being a huge success and 3DS platform having viable DLC options, I believe that we'll see a lot more Pokemon franchise spinoffs.

Here's an idea to satisfy both the hardcore fans and Nintendo/Trollfreak greed. A new installment of TCG. Rules:
    2) you purchase cards in closed packs of 10/20/60 (as in real life) with a set price of X real life USD per pack;
    3) players are able to battle each other using cards online, as well as trade their cards without playing.

Basically, instead of collecting the hard copies of cards, and seeing other players face-to-face, people will collect virtual stuff and compete virtually. With 3DS tight-ass security on ROMs and save data, no cheating will be possible for quite a time.
    Pokemon Trading Card Game Online
    Have a nice day!

With Pokemon spin-offs, I don't think the problem is range. We've had everything from puzzlers, to shooters, to pet simulators. So, from that sense, few things would really come as a surprise.

Thinking about a fighting game... I guess that would be fun to see, but also a bit "too little" in comparison to Smash Bros. -- in any case, if that happened, it should distinct itself from SSB by following a different school of fighting game mechanics. I'd also be very glad to see a third Puzzle League -- more like a second anime Puzzle League, really. Personally, I'm not into the anime anymore, but I think that N64's Puzzle League was a really slick, packed and well-made product. Not going to start with how great and competitive-enabling its gameplay was (we've literally burned hundreds of hours on it!), but also as far as its theming went, it was just doing the whole "gather-up" / "all-stars" thing perfectly to the littlest detail. I don't think there was a single important anime character missing from the game. Even Butch and Cassidy were in for a segment in one of the games' modes! I'd like to see that with newer series' characters as well, if they can pull that off as well as they did back then. Might also be a nice way for us old folks to meet the new characters of the anime through its small story sequences too! I suppose any game with an "all-stars" gatheting of anime characters would be fun to see, but was it a Puzzle League, it would be especially fun!

Outside this, personally, I'd like to see a game from Intelligent Systems (who coincidentally are also in charge of the Puzzle League series!). A Pokemon-themed mini-game collection à la WarioWare definitely has infinite potential in the right hands; it's rather surprising there hasn't really been a game like this. Even more interestingly though, a strategy game in the veins of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem! This, of course, seems less due after Conquest -- if anything, I think Conquest 2 is (rightfully) more likely. The reason I want to see a game from Nintendo's houses (besides the fact that Nobunaga's Ambition's follows, again, a different school of strategy games in comparison to Advance Wars / Fire Emblem) is because if that happened, we might have been seeing a story penned to tie the main Pokemon world more closely. That seems relatively hard from a first thought, but a prequel taking place in the old Unova (or any region, really) would be able to be pulled of in a traditional strategy-game pattern really easily. Might as well have a special episode (as DLC?) based on Conquest's world too! A Conquest 2 should also happen at one point.

It's no surprise that Pokemon has potential with about every genre, but unfortunately most latest spin-offs were really low-quality... I'd be happy with anything above some well-set quality bars. Be that a puzzler, a mini-game collection or a strategy game (or a Card GB3!). Now, I really hope we don't see another Ranger. The first one was a bliss, with its smart game design made to take advantage of DS, its amazing setup that could keep the player interested and even its plot, made to fit the Pokemon world. I'm a little disappointed much of that approach was lost in the sequels, which is why I wouldn't like to see a fourth installment of recycled ideas, reused assets and inconsiderate writing. Now, a successor series to Ranger? That would be good! A new game with fresh gameplay ideas and a simple, but engaging setup; an extra point if it fit the Pokemon world like the first Ranger game too!
    Last edited by Ash_Pokemaster; 7th January 2013 at 03:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

We haven't had a Gen5 Ranger game, so a Pokemon Ranger game for the 3DS could be pretty awesome

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Definitely Snap 2 on the Wii U

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc