Impossible type combinations? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impossible type combinations?

Blog Entries
    Follow Alexey On Twitter Add Alexey on Facebook

Default Re: Impossible type combinations?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    If GF can pull off a Bug+Fire (a combination I thought impossible) then certainly they could find some kind of inspiration for a Water+Fire (Greek fire? Undersea volcano?). It could actually be a very useful combination to have, supereffective STABs against seven elements, only weak to Rock/Ground/Electric (and the first two are readily countered)....
    I think that would be overpowered

I don't think there's a single type combo that can't be made into a Pokemon of some sort. The first folder on this page has ideas for every unused type combo, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
    If GF can pull off a Bug+Fire (a combination I thought impossible) then certainly they could find some kind of inspiration for a Water+Fire (Greek fire? Undersea volcano?). It could actually be a very useful combination to have, supereffective STABs against seven elements, only weak to Rock/Ground/Electric (and the first two are readily countered)....
    That would depend on the exact stats and moveset.

Blog Entries

Well, I guess, they could make it borderline useless as well :D

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only type combination I can see that makes zero sense and therefore difficult, if not impossible, to pull off (not that I doubt GF may try to pull it off) is Fire/Ice. How could a Pokemon control both extreme heat and freezing cold simultaneously? Maybe if it were able to freely change its internal temperature at will, but that sounds more like changing its type, rather than being both types, if anything to me.

Even Water/Fire makes more sense to me, as mentined. Because at least then the Poke could just be able to shoot boiling water or something (Scald, anyone?).

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

... I don't get why do so many people say Fire/Ice makes no sense. They are opposites of the same concept, that alone makes them intrinsically connected. If anything, I'd say having together two opposites of the same thing is pretty much what makes the most intuitive sense.

I mean the concept has been used by just about every single other videogame in history. And it is pretty popular in fantasy as a whole. And notable in real life whenever it happens for the sake of this contrast.

And even then White Kyurem is a thing. It is Kyurem more than having Reshiram's powers, hence staying Dragon/Ice over Fire, but it still has the "Ice with Fire" concept there.

My two cents on the reason the Ice/Fire hasn't been used anywhere else is because it IS a notable type combination that they probably want to think carefully on how to present. You can't just make a random pokémon with that typing and put it anywhere and pay no mind to it: Would it be a legendary? If so to which kind of legend? Would it just be a rare pokémon? Where does it live and why does it live there? How does it affect the region of the games?
    They probably are simply taking it carefully. (After all, it has been used so much they wouldn't want to make something that has already been done)

[/overexposition]

And just for a quick comparison, consider the Swinub family. Ice + Ground = supereffective against NINE elements (count 'em - grass, ground, flying, dragon; fire, electric, poison, rock, and steel). Does that make Mamoswine OP?

A dark/normal type, a ghost/normal type, a bug/psychic type, and a poison/psychic type are unlikely ever to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HoppytheCourier View Post
    A dark/normal type, a ghost/normal type, a bug/psychic type, and a poison/psychic type are unlikely ever to happen.
    ... I could think of concepts for every single one of those combos. Heck, I already have concepts for the first three. But seriously, bug/psychic? Just do something with a hive mind. That's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    I don't think there's a single type combo that can't be made into a Pokemon of some sort. The first folder on this page has ideas for every unused type combo, for example.
    Interesting...

I hope Bug/Dark happens.

Blog Entries

And just for a quick comparison, consider the Swinub family. Ice + Ground = supereffective against NINE elements (count 'em - grass, ground, flying, dragon; fire, electric, poison, rock, and steel). Does that make Mamoswine OP?
    True, but said family also has 5 weaknesses, only one of which (Steel) isn't very common

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12