If you worked for GF... - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: If you worked for GF...

Default Re: If you worked for GF...

Retcon out Gen. V

Remove Abilities

Include a (necessarily difficult) way to evolve by-trade Pokemon without trading

Go back to 2D-only, top-down graphics

Remove all in-battle movement except for moves and the introduction of the battle

Bring back ALL-CAPS naming

Provide an option to skip the introduction

I'd make sure the 10-year-old female protagonists aren't dressed like sluts, for starters. >> That would be it, in fact.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn! Shiny Shinx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Shinx's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli+ View Post
    Retcon out Gen. V

Remove Abilities

Include a (necessarily difficult) way to evolve by-trade Pokemon without trading

Remove all in-battle movement except for moves and the introduction of the battle

Why would you make those changes?

I'm a full time Pokemon Breeder! But please visit, I really do appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Shinx View Post
    Retcon out Gen. V

Remove Abilities

Why would you make those changes?
    Gen. V was awful - worse than the sum of relevant complaints below, but you can at least get the picture.

Abilities have always felt unnecessary and annoying. I don't like them.

I like to play the games on my own; I don't like online features. I only have two friends who play and I don't want to bother them about helping me.

I prefer the simplistic graphics to the new style, particularly the most recent games (it hurt my eyes and made me feel ill). Whereas with simple sprites and pixel art the games always had a unique character and internal consistency, the most recent generations feel as though they've lost this in an attempt to "update" things.

The new sprite animation also hurt my eyes and made me feel ill. At the very least there needs to be an option to disable this.

ALL-CAPS is part personal preference. It did, however, make skim-reading dialogue easier.

Introductions are annoying, especially in BW where it's terribly long and tedious. Seeing it once is enough. It's a particular obstacle to re-rolling starters, too.

I would:

Change the base stats/abilities/typing of Pokemon to improve them

Break a lot of the repetiveness started by Gen III

Raise the level curve of the games

Make the E4 the final challenge in the games rather and having what would be post game content before them. They'd still be re-matchable, though.

Create Red/Blue/Green remakes but have an extremely ambiguous marketing campaign that made them look like they were going to be Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remakes.

Hmm, can't think of anything else at the moment.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Oh, I forgot one. We're reversing the physical/special split.

That is an utterly terrible idea. There's literally no positive to it.
    Zeb, Joshawott and 투 애니원 like this.

Starters of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    That is an utterly terrible idea. There's literally no positive to it.
    If you say so, bud. Regrettably, after all, I am not in charge.

What's your reasoning behind arbitrarily restricting move classification being a good thing?

Starters of choice.

What's your reasoning behind arbitrarily restricting move classification being a good thing?
    Simplification of under-the-hood game mechanics is a desirable outcome. There was a certain elegance about the old system which, to my mind, was intriguing in terms of wholes and big-pictures, rather than in terms of numbers. Indeed, the other system-based ideas that I have mentioned would also be in pursuit of a restoration of such elegance. It is, to be concise, the difference between Starcraft and Age of Mythology (this approximate dichotomy, I think, is further displayed in the aesthetic preferences that I have shared). I can understand that you and others may disagree, and I understand very well that I am unlikely to ever get my way, but the OP asked, so I answered.

Simplification of under-the-hood game mechanics is a desirable outcome. There was a certain elegance about the old system which, to my mind, was intriguing in terms of wholes and big-pictures, rather than in terms of numbers. Indeed, the other system-based ideas that I have mentioned would also be in pursuit of a restoration of such elegance. It is, to be concise, the difference between Starcraft and Age of Mythology (this approximate dichotomy, I think, is further displayed in the aesthetic preferences that I have shared). I can understand that you and others may disagree, and I understand very well that I am unlikely to ever get my way, but the OP asked, so I answered.
    You mean dumbing down the game? Ok. The cost is neutering several Pokemon who rely on Physical or Special STAB when their types are of the opposite classification, as well as severely restricting coverage. So basically, taking a major step backwards and fucking things up in the name of simplicity.

Starters of choice.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Retcon out Gen. V

Remove Abilities

In other words, just go back to 1996 then? Sorry, but that may be a worse idea than the "all regions, with all Pokemon available in 1 game" idea.
    투 애니원 and Silverwynde like this.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

You mean dumbing down the game? Ok. The cost is neutering several Pokemon who rely on Physical or Special STAB when their types are of the opposite classification, as well as severely restricting coverage. So basically, taking a major step backwards and fucking things up in the name of simplicity.
    I have tried my best to be civil, and I can assure you that my attempt at civility was not an invitation for you to discard such concerns.

Indeed, the very "dumbing down" of things that you think is the problem here, is an issue that I might take with other aspects of recent releases - for instance, the move towards cute, colourful, childish graphics, and design of the last few regions and majority of new Pokemon (with, admittedly, some very welcome exceptions). In my experience, even non-optimised Pokemon can be versatile and powerful in all circumstances bar serious competition - and, quite frankly, that is one particular circumstance which I do not hold in particularly high regard.

In any case, it's clear that we value different things, and it's clear that we are unlikely to agree on this issue. Perhaps you can understand my position, or perhaps you cannot. I would ask, however, that at the very least, you do try to be just a bit more respectful when expressing your disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
    Retcon out Gen. V

Remove Abilities

In other words, just go back to 1996 then? Sorry, but that may be a worse idea than the "all regions, with all Pokemon available in 1 game" idea.
    Now, I don't recall saying that, and I think that your concept of time may be just a bit off. But there certainly are some new "features" which I simply cannot appreciate. On the other hand, there are some new features which I quite like.

And for the record, the "all regions, with all Pokemon available in 1 game" idea is not such a terribly bad one from my perspective as a player. Of course, it's a recognisably bad idea for those concerned with moving products, or for those particularly focussed on playing with others.

Blog Entries

@Saiga;

Make the E4 the final challenge in the games rather and having what would be post game content before them.
    So there's literally nothing to do after the E4?

That sounds like a horrid idea.
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Now, I don't recall saying that, and I think that your concept of time may be just a bit off. But there certainly are some new "features" which I simply cannot appreciate. On the other hand, there are some new features which I quite like.

And for the record, the "all regions, with all Pokemon available in 1 game" idea is not such a terribly bad one from my perspective as a player. Of course, it's a recognisably bad idea for those concerned with moving products, or for those particularly focussed on playing with others.
    Perhaps, but keeping things EXACTLY the same is bad business, especially in video game development. Pokemon has managed to be successful without the use of complex gameplay, high quality graphics or increadibly complex storylines. The games have been, and still are pretty simple to figure out, which is part of their appeal. But the suggestions you've made would destroy the franchise.

Retcon out Gen. V

Gen. V was awful - worse than the sum of relevant complaints below, but you can at least get the picture.
    If your overall view of an entire Generation of Pokemon is that they are "awful", I don't see how you could prefer anything before that. You'll have to explain what exactly made Gen 5 so bad that the other Gens did not have as well.

Remove Abilities

Abilities have always felt unnecessary and annoying. I don't like them.
    More strategy in a strategy game is bad? Take Electross. Ground Pokemon are super effective against Electrics, but Electross has Levitate, so Ground moves won't work on it. Gotta find another way to beat it. After 17 years, keeping the battle system the same as it was without abilities makes the battles far less interesting.

I like to play the games on my own; I don't like online features. I only have two friends who play and I don't want to bother them about helping me.
    Defeats the purpose. These Pokemon are meant to be traded. You may not like needing someone else to get certain Pokemon, but this is the main focus of the games: interaction with other players. It's part of the overall appeal of Pokemon as a whole, it encourages teamwork.

I prefer the simplistic graphics to the new style, particularly the most recent games (it hurt my eyes and made me feel ill). Whereas with simple sprites and pixel art the games always had a unique character and internal consistency, the most recent generations feel as though they've lost this in an attempt to "update" things.
    Pokemon still has simple graphics. I've also never heard anyone say that the 3D designs made them feel ill before. I've only heard that the 3DS 3D feature can hurt your eyes if you stare at it long enough, but Black and White are not in full 3D.

The new sprite animation also hurt my eyes and made me feel ill. At the very least there needs to be an option to disable this.
    Again, I've never heard someone say the sprites hurt their eyes or made them ill. Besides, if the intent was to make them appear more alive, including an option to turn them off would defeat the purpose.

ALL-CAPS is part personal preference. It did, however, make skim-reading dialogue easier.
    You're not supposed to speed through the dialogue, otherwise we may as well be playing Red, Blue, Green and Yellow as they lacked any real plot. If they changed this to encourage people to actually follow the story, I support it.

Introductions are annoying, especially in BW where it's terribly long and tedious. Seeing it once is enough. It's a particular obstacle to re-rolling starters, too.
    No reason for this. More new gamers get into Pokemon than older gamers return. The kids are the target audience, so they include this to teach them the basics. Besides, it doesn't take that long to sit through it, and once you do, you're done with it.

Another case of taking the strategy out of a strategy game. The games aren't so complicated that they need to be simplified even more than they already are.

=====

I see nothing good about reversing the progress the games have made. They have changed very little since Red and Green, but the changes they've made have managed to keep the games close enough to the originals for anyone who's been around for a while to still enjoy, while bringing in fresh ideas and fresh takes on existing features. My first game was Yellow, and playing it now is great for nostalgia, but I'd much rather battle someone in Gen 5 than in any other Gen.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast