Idea for a new item in the next gen game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Idea for a new item in the next gen game

Blog Entries

Default Idea for a new item in the next gen game

TRAINER REPEL! while under its effects trainers will not challenge you.

I hate trying to explore a route and being challenged by trainers with Pokemon 50 levels lower than me!

Bug Cather's lvl 9 weedle vs Pokemon League Champion with lvl 100 Yveltal! good match!. LOL
    Last edited by Gomez16; 13th January 2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Jenneta and Yato like this.
    Favorite Pokemon is Aggron!
    3DS Friend Code : 2234-7218-8224

Living the Pokemon life. Jenneta's Avatar

Default Re: Idea for a new item in the next gen game

Oooh...I like that idea, ALOT! xD. Haha, and it'd also be useful for if you're winding down a long row of trainers and your pokemon(s) are low on HP. ^u^
    3DS Friend Code is: 5215-0992-6785 Friend Safari is Combee, Beautifly, and Venomoth.
    Used to be Dark Type Princess~, now Jenneta and going to keep it that way. :)

I disagree. There's always time to go back and heal, and if you are training properly you shouldn't avoid trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by lugia61617 View Post
    I disagree. There's always time to go back and heal, and if you are training properly you shouldn't avoid trainers.
    I remember back in Pearl when I was 8 and I would always skip the trainers in that game. (I don't now. Heck, I try to battle every last trainer in every game now.)
    Anyway, i'm usually underleveled in D/P/Pt all the time. So when I finally got to my battle with the Elite Four, I sent out my level 39 Torterra. Most of my Pokemon were around that level too. >_<
    I have a Fire Safari. With Charmeleon, Braxien, and Ponyta. PM me if you need to find out your type/Pokemon.
    FC: 0275-7582-3115

Official claimer of Chespin, Zap Cannon, Defeatist, Chesto Berry, and the Mega Ring!

Easily wears comfy shorts Ravioko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ravioko's Youtube Channel

I dislike this idea. I mean, I get that it would be optional, just like repels are now, and useful for when you've beaten the game and don't want to fight weak trainers you've skipped, but if you've beaten the game, you could easily wipe them out in no time, plus get a small amount of XP and some money. So really, even if it's very little, there's still something to gain.
    As for traversing a route with lots of trainers and low health - turn back, go to a town, heal up at the PokeCenter, and then continue. Easy.

The friend code and name on my trainer card is for my Nintendo 3DS, and should be used for communications via Pokemon X and Y

Nintendo ID - AmphiGamer

While I agree that constant meetings with trainers are really annoying, I don't think there's anything you could really do about it. It's essential for training your pokemon, especially now the enemy trainers and even wild pokemon have really high levels in comparison to what you tend to be at at the time you fight them. I don't really think the idea is worth it, unfortunately.
    Bolt the Cat likes this.
    Signed, Lord Kyuubi

Blog Entries

Not for a way to avoid progress through the game. going back getting mega stones I found many trainers I never fought with significantly weaker pokemon and it was an annoyance.

Maybe they should not challange you on site if you are over 20 levels higher than them. instead you can challenge them by talking.
    Last edited by Gomez16; 14th January 2014 at 07:45 PM.
    Favorite Pokemon is Aggron!
    3DS Friend Code : 2234-7218-8224

Rather than such an item, I think a change to the mechanics in how a trainer spots you is what should be in order.

For example, it's said when two trainers "make eye contact", but in actual gameplay it's any time you walk directly in front of them, eye contact or not.

The G3 console games (Colosseum and XD) were a little more flexible being free-roaming affairs not tied to a grid-based level design (and since you could freely rematch quite a few trainers, you got quite a feel for what the exact trigger areas were).

I'd propose something like this:

- If you cross an NPC's line of sight within a short distance, this prompts a battle. It's visually cued by your trainer and the NPC turning heads to glance at each other as you walk by.
    - If you're actually facing an NPC head-on, this can prompt a battle from a larger distance.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"
    (No wonder Pokemon nicknames are so difficult to think up.)

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I like the idea of a Trainer Repel, since it would allow players to choose if/when they can battle trainers. If that were ever in place, maybe games could have a minimum of Trainers faced before the next Gym or something. That way at some point the players would have to battle them.

Another option: Give a yes/no option when a Trainer challenges you to battle. In some cases, if you say "no" then you are sent back a step (and thus unable to actually pass by the trainer without battling), and in some other cases (like the villainous team's grunts) you aren't given a choice, the battle is required.
    Stuntology and SimH5 like this.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"
    (No wonder Pokemon nicknames are so difficult to think up.)

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210

Follow Roth on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Another option: Give a yes/no option when a Trainer challenges you to battle. In some cases, if you say "no" then you are sent back a step (and thus unable to actually pass by the trainer without battling), and in some other cases (like the villainous team's grunts) you aren't given a choice, the battle is required.
    Oh my, this is actually a very good idea. I must agree with this; it'd be interesting to see this be integrated into a game.
    Friend Code: 3153-5031-5341

Proud owner of White White 2, Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Ranger: Shadows of Almia, Pearl, and HeartGold! :)

Blog Entries

Ill have to disagree, but only because of "hidden trainers". These are the guys hiding behind corners, in bushes, under mats and leaves. They've been in every game and were meant to be unpredictable encounters. While this "trainer repel" would have about as much use as a normal repel, which isn't much, the fact that there are meant to be surprise, unavoidable trainers nullifies and reason for adding a Trainer Repel to the game.

Also, to add such a thing Trainers would have to be able to be ran away from. I haven't tried running from one, but I'm pretty sure you still can't. Only reason Repel exists is because wild encounters can be ran from and would be tedious to someone who is running away from all if them.
    Yato likes this.
    IGN: Jraken
    FC: 4227-2083-0655
    Ditto, Lillipup, Loudred

RP Story: World Without Legends (ongoing)
    PS- I hope you like nightmares. >}
    Story Registry: Signups

Blog Entries

.......b-b-but thats the point of pokemon?

to

BATTLE?

first class asshole

Maybe if it were given after becoming champion, then it wouldn't be game-breaking while still being convenient.

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

One thing they could do, is that the Trainer Repel would only work on trainers not purposely hidden from view. A lot like regular repels don't work on underground Pokemon in Route 13. Yeah the Yes/No option could work too, or maybe they could even have both to make things easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast