Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Altering Natures?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default HP Altering Natures?

Hey,
    I was looking at the natures list today, and was wondering why non affect a Pokémon's HP stat although other things like Nature, IVs and EVs do? So I was thinking, in Generation V, what if they add 7 new natures? (They'll need a neutral stat that increases HP and decreases HP too).

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HP Altering Natures?

That'd be another change to the battle experience meta-game wise.

Sure, I'll go for it. Let's screw with Smogon a bit more.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Technically you'd need 11 more: five HP-raising ones, five HP-lowering ones, and one more neutral one (which occupies the HP-raising/HP-lowering slot on the grid), for a total of 36.

But it's a decent idea, even if it may not affect the metagame too much. (All I can imagine happening is some walls switching to HP-raising Natures rather than Def/SpDef-raising ones.)

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

I've actually wanted these since the start of gen 4.

Blog Entries

It sounds pretty good, but that seems a bit too much for me. I personally like how HP isn't bothered by natures.

36 natures = lots more eggs to get the right one.

An HP raising nature would effectively give a 10% boost to the resistance to both special and physical attacks, making defense and special defense boosting natures effectively useless, so I'm guessing that's why we never got them.

Staff member at The PokéMasters (Forums - Facebook page)
    Joined April 5, 2005

I think I'm the only person who doesn't give a muffin about natures and EVs and IVs and all that other stat related stuff.

I like to save the beef for my tacos, so that's why my sig isn't that...well,beefy. (:

Reshiram is for those who are cool.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That'd sound interesting, actually. But what'd happen if Gen V was compatible with Gen IV? Then what'd happen if a Pokemon with an HP-altering nature was traded over to Gen IV?

Quote Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
    I think I'm the only person who doesn't give a muffin about natures and EVs and IVs and all that other stat related stuff.
    I Don't.... Unless I want a pokemon to be good in an area its not normally (i.e My skarmory having decent attack).

Or when I got my togepi, so I could have a togekiss with ridiculous special attack.

Back on topic:
    HP natures would be good though, think of what would happen with a blissey :O

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

I have always wondered why there isn't a HP-altering nature. I'm not sure if Game Freak actually would add more natures, however, I do like the suggestion of it. :3

Quote Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
    I didn't care until I realized if I was actually ever going to beat anyone online I would have to breed for IV's and EV-train.

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Blog Entries

Although it would've been a nice addition when the nature systems were implemented in Gen III, at this point I'm not in favour of it. I'd greatly prefer these games to be compatible with trading back to Gen IV, and the addition of new natures wouldn't allow for that.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
    Although it would've been a nice addition when the nature systems were implemented in Gen III, at this point I'm not in favour of it. I'd greatly prefer these games to be compatible with trading back to Gen IV, and the addition of new natures wouldn't allow for that.
    It would allow for it if they had the system that they used when you traded between Gold/Silver/Crystal and Red/Blue/Yellow. You can't trade back Pokémon with new natures, or attacks, or whatever, but you can trade them back if all the moves and the nature/ability they had was present in the Generation IV games.

It would work, I think.

★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takoto View Post
    It would allow for it if they had the system that they used when you traded between Gold/Silver/Crystal and Red/Blue/Yellow. You can't trade back Pokémon with new natures, or attacks, or whatever, but you can trade them back if all the moves and the nature/ability they had was present in the Generation IV games.

It would work, I think.
    For GSC to RBY trading, the limitation was more manageable than what you're suggesting. Any Gen I Pokemon could be traded back to a Gen I game, and if it had an incompatible move you could just go to the move deleter and get rid of it.

If new natures were introduced, and those natures were added to the trading filter, you'd have a whole bunch of Gen I through IV Pokemon which wouldn't be able to be traded back, with no way to change it (natures can't be changed the way moves can). That wouldn't make sense... especially to the many players (mostly kids) who probably don't even care, or know anything about natures.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
    For GSC to RBY trading, the limitation was more manageable than what you're suggesting. Any Gen I Pokemon could be traded back to a Gen I game, and if it had an incompatible move you could just go to the move deleter and get rid of it.

If new natures were introduced, and those natures were added to the trading filter, you'd have a whole bunch of Gen I through IV Pokemon which wouldn't be able to be traded back, with no way to change it (natures can't be changed the way moves can). That wouldn't make sense... especially to the many players (mostly kids) who probably don't even care, or know anything about natures.
    I guess so, I just thought it would be a possibility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takoto View Post

It would work, I think.
    It would not work because natures are based upon the Personality Value of a Pokémon, meaning that if at least ten new ones are introduced and the way to calculate which one of them a Pokémon receives is the same as RSEFRLGDPtHGSS, some species would change nature when the evolution is triggered in them, as currently happens when evolving a Pal Parked Generation III Pokémon in DPtHGSS with an ability value of 1, which only had a sole programmed ability back then and it changes to the "new" one upon evolution, thus some Pokémon transferred to Black & White would be rendered useless because of the change.

Furthermore, I don't see the need of adding HP-based natures, at least not for this generation.
    Last edited by RudolphMilotic; 16th April 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast