How will the first Genesect distribution be handled?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How will the first Genesect distribution be handled?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default How will the first Genesect distribution be handled?

As we've suspected for weeks now, Genesect is going to be officially revealed this month, and technically it already has due to the Movie 16 teaser shown after the special airing of Movie 15. Clearly, Genesect is receiving the Victini treatment, which was also revealed via a movie teaser two years ago. But as we know, the reason for Victini's early introduction was the decision to distribute it via Wi-Fi upon Black and White's release. It is safe to assume that something similar is going to happen with Genesect, as otherwise the early announcement would be pointless.

The problem is that unlike Victini, Genesect doesn't have an in-game event where it is catchable. The Keldeo and Meloetta movie events are already being used to promote B2W2 (although neither Pokémon unlocks anything significant exclusively in B2W2, since even Resolution Form is merely an aesthetic change), so there is arguably little reason to use Genesect to promote those games. Even if there were such a reason, one would think that Game Freak would at least bother to program a new event for Genesect, which they didn't do. The only in-game event Genesect has (which remains unchanged from Black and White) will most likely not be unlocked until the movie promotion, since the Cassette items are the only thing that can properly distinguish the movie Genesect from the one distributed via Wi-Fi (much like V-create in Victini's case). For this reason, I'd be surprised if Genesect were distributed with a fateful encounter flag.

So how is the distribution going to work? Will Genesect simply be downloaded via Wi-Fi without any in-game event? That is certainly possible, but it would be an odd move promotion-wise; the Victini distribution wasn't an act of generosity, but rather it served as an incentive to buy Black and White soon after their release. Again, with B2W2 that function is more or less being fulfilled by Keldeo (the start of its distribution coincided with B2W2's release) and to a lesser extent Meloetta. I suspect that Genesect is going to be used to promote an upcoming game, but obviously not a main series one. Precedent for this exists in the form of the Manaphy egg in the first Ranger game, but in this case I believe that the next release is going to be a Wii title compatible with the Generation V games.

So how about it? Is there a good reason for the lack of a new Genesect event in B2W2?
    Last edited by Silktree; 1st July 2012 at 05:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How will the first Genesect distribution be handled?

To answer the thread title: Poorly. xD

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    To answer the thread title: Poorly. xD
    Best first reply ever? BEST FIRST REPLY EVER.

Ahem, seriously its either gonna be the 2 Silktree posted, or Gen 5 isn't over. Something I will not discuss as its too......delicate a topic. But yes, Genesect is gonna be a curio if past distribution methods are taken into account.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post
    Ahem, seriously its either gonna be the 2 Silktree posted, or Gen 5 isn't over.
    I don't think that is relevant to the discussion. Chances are that Genesect is going to be distributed around September (no later than October, I'd say), and it is extremely unlikely that there will be another main series release this year.

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Ahem, seriously its either gonna be the 2 Silktree posted, or Gen 5 isn't over.
    I don't think that is relevant to the discussion. Chances are that Genesect is going to be distributed around September (no later than October, I'd say), and it is extremely unlikely that there will be another main series release this year.
    If they do distribute it in September-October, a whole 8 or so months before the movie, then something will get released by/in January. For me personally I can see 2 main series games getting released next year, but its gonna be a very awkward situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If they do distribute it in September-October, a whole 8 or so months before the movie, then something will get released by/in January.
    The game will have to be released before or at the same time as the beginning of the distribution. There isn't any reason to distribute Genesect to the current games first, assuming that they want to use the distribution to promote an upcoming game.

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exactly. Release it for now to B2W2, then down the line eventually use it for another game. Be it gen 6 or such, who knows. Perhaps even the 3DS games will introduce a memory link style poketransfer which allows the a download distributioned Gen 6 game saved on an SD card to read B2W2 in the game slot and have it transferred exclusively through it or something. But for now, Genesect makes no sense at this early a point, so far away from the movie, considering how it would need to fill in 2 events without Genesect if this is case, unless they're gonna pull something akin to FRLG-Emerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exactly. Release it for now to B2W2, then down the line eventually use it for another game.
    I know what you meant, and there is no reason for that when dealing with a Wi-Fi event as opposed to a movie promotion. They can simply wait until the relevant game is released, unless they just want to randomly distribute Genesect.

Perhaps even the 3DS games will introduce a memory link style poketransfer which allows the a download distributioned Gen 6 game saved on an SD card to read B2W2 in the game slot and have it transferred exclusively through it or something.
    What would be the point of that?

But for now, Genesect makes no sense at this early a point, so far away from the movie, considering how it would need to fill in 2 events without Genesect if this is case,
    They will most likely re-distribute Genesect to promote the movie, and that is why I don't think that Genesect will be unlocked with a fateful encounter flag this year. As for the secondary movie promotion, I wouldn't expect anything special for the Generation V games, but perhaps they'll do something else and have a 3DS application temporarily store the data of the titular Generation VI Pokémon.

unless they're gonna pull something akin to FRLG-Emerald.
    The gap would be even shorter than that in this case; this possibility is unlikely for all sorts of reasons. I think that most people will agree that a Wii game would make far more sense than another DS release, and I certainly don't see a 3DS main series release as a possibility for this generation - especially this year.

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Perhaps even the 3DS games will introduce a memory link style poketransfer which allows the a download distributioned Gen 6 game saved on an SD card to read B2W2 in the game slot and have it transferred exclusively through it or something.
    What would be the point of that?
    unless they're gonna pull something akin to FRLG-Emerald.
    The gap would be even shorter than that in this case; this possibility is unlikely for all sorts of reasons. I think that most people will agree that a Wii game would make far more sense than another DS release, and I certainly don't see a 3DS main series release as a possibility for this generation - especially this year.
    The point would be to advertise the new easy transfer system. Or something equally trivial like how you had to trade Zoroark. Oh and I would think Wii U is a much more logical platform then the Wii at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The point would be to advertise the new easy transfer system. Or something equally trivial like how you had to trade Zoroark. Oh and I would think Wii U is a much more logical platform then the Wii at this point.
    Just as the 3DS was a more logical platform for B2W2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Could Genesect act as a sort of bridge from Gen 5 to Gen 6? I'm still thinking that it might receive its ancient looking forme, which could appear in its movie. Basically, we get the Genesect that we already know about that is altered via WiFi, and then during the movie promotion and and Gen 6 promotion next year we get the ancient version.

It's Pokedex number as a fossil Pokemon in Gen 6 could be #000 just like Victini's was. This is assuming that Gen 6 even comes around that time of course.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Could Genesect act as a sort of bridge from Gen 5 to Gen 6? I'm still thinking that it might receive its ancient looking forme, which could appear in its movie. Basically, we get the Genesect that we already know about that is altered via WiFi, and then during the movie promotion and and Gen 6 promotion next year we get the ancient version.
    That's definitely possible, but this thread isn't about that. The question is why Genesect isn't catchable via a B2W2 event if it is going to be distributed via Wi-Fi soon.

No, Not Yet Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Three new mythical Pokémon in one year? Madness...or proof that GameFreak are really bad in regards to planning?. I guess this opens up next February to reveal a Generation VI Pokémon though =3.

I like the idea of it being used to tie in with a spin-off game ala Manaphy (Also I want another Ranger game - I love them so much). Also, I imagine once the main anime has gone through its Meloetta arc, we'll get the Kami trio formes, taking away time from Genesect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gym Leader Janine View Post
    Also, I imagine once the main anime has gone through its Meloetta arc, we'll get the Kami trio formes, taking away time from Genesect.
    I wouldn't be sure about that, as the Therian Formes could easily be included in the Meloetta arc to give the plot some substance. I think that the Best Wishes 2 poster promotes elements from the upcoming batch of episodes only.

I could see Mewtwo and Genesect sharing an arc in the show, but not a movie.
    Last edited by Silktree; 1st July 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The question is why Genesect isn't catchable via a B2W2 event if it is going to be distributed via Wi-Fi soon.
    I guess that it will simply go unused just like Arcues, the Azure Flute, and battling it at Spear Pillar went unused.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast