How to Make Gym Battles Tougher

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bland Mango
  • 3 Post By Master Mew
  • 1 Post By PinkiePieFox

Thread: How to Make Gym Battles Tougher

Default How to Make Gym Battles Tougher

OK so I just thought of this idea and i'm really proud of myself. (Yes I have no self-worth, sue me.)

How to Make Gym Battles Tougher in later Generations:

1. Challengers are only allowed to use the same number of Pokemon as the Leader.
    2. Challengers' Pokemon cannot exceed the highest level of the Leader's Pokemon.

Now the biggest kickstart to this idea was the complaint that Gen VI Gym Battles were too easy. Well, of course, Exp Share was turned on! When I turned off Exp Share, my Pokemon were only slightly overlevelled than the leaders', and only because I also battled a ton of wild POkemon along the way instead of running. I was also inspired by the Pokemon World tournament, where I faced so much difficulty in taking the leaders down.

This makes monotype runs more interesting and fun - of which I am a big fan of - and it gives an added in-game idea of fairness for both challenger and leader. Now, of course, the challenger is the challenger, so he can use as many items as he wants. I remember the times of Re-Reviving my strongest fainted Poke in dire times, and that's something that is a hallmark of Pokemon.

Thoughts?
    "I'm going to become a top-level Trainer who can't be outclassed with my beautiful and tough Bug Pokemon!"

Default Re: How to Make Gym Battles Tougher

I impose some of these restrictions myself.

When I go to face the leader I make sure I only have as many Pokemon on me as he has, I have done this for a considerable amount of time now, since DP at least and now it just comes naturally.

I would love to know how to turn the god awful Exp Share off. my Pokemon are far too overleveled despite never being used.
    My Delphox hasn't been used since it was a Fennekin (never got to use it as a Braixen) and its now Level 40 without me having even fought the 3rd gym yet.
    Hinokou likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emayex View Post
    I would love to know how to turn the god awful Exp Share off. my Pokemon are far too overleveled despite never being used.
    My Delphox hasn't been used since it was a Fennekin (never got to use it as a Braixen) and its now Level 40 without me having even fought the 3rd gym yet.
    Step 1: Open Inventory
    Step 2: Shift over to Key Items
    Step 3: Highlight "Exp. Share"
    Step 4: Press "A"
    Step 5: Highlight "Off"
    Step 6: Press "A"
    Bland Mango, Hinokou and KarlG like this.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

Using the same aumont of pokemon as the Gym Leaders wouldn't solve a thing because atm they all have one major flaw: they are weak to a certain type, meaning that you only need one pokemon, two at best, to sweep a Gym Leader. The only solution imo is to remove the single type Gyms and do instead based around themes, each gym leader would have a team about a theme, so you can't sweep an entire Gym Leader's team because his team would have pokemon with different typings.

Claimer of Garchomp

Well I have this more so fun method of when I'm bored of a Pokemon game (usually collecting legendaries and such) I will have the same amount of Pokemon as the gym leader and... battle with my eyes closed xD I go by sounds alone and I used to know the majority of Pokemon cries before gen VI. It may sound stupid but darn, is it fun!
    HeroOfDarkness likes this.

Master of Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by PinkiePieFox View Post
    Well I have this more so fun method of when I'm bored of a Pokemon game (usually collecting legendaries and such) I will have the same amount of Pokemon as the gym leader and... battle with my eyes closed xD I go by sounds alone and I used to know the majority of Pokemon cries before gen VI. It may sound stupid but darn, is it fun!
    That actually sounds really fun! I'll have to try that.
    I'm also playing through Y in French... and I'm doing a Nuzlocke. It makes things a little more difficult.

Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Tumblr Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Flickr

Try limiting the amount of Pokemon you have to match the gym leader and battle at a type disadvantage, that can help raise the challenge :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ellron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkiePieFox View Post
    That actually sounds really fun! I'll have to try that.
    I'm also playing through Y in French... and I'm doing a Nuzlocke. It makes things a little more difficult.
    I'm playing X in French, it does add to the challenge doesn't it, although I've only done beginners french, I am getting quite good at getting the general understanding of what theyre saying.

I then play Y after in English and do the bit I did in X to see if I was right or occasionally see what im supposed to be doing.

Since gyms are usually one type you could make your team's type weak to that type and teach them moves that are super effective against the gym type. Adds a real challenge, toss in my eyes closed method and it will be difficult but somewhat fun!