How do we feel about dual type attacks? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Would you like dual-typed attacks in XY?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like them. It would offer something new and interesting and more strategy in battles.

22 17.19%
  • No, it just seems like a bad idea to me. Let's stick with single-typed attacks.

85 66.41%
  • Not sure at the moment.

21 16.41%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How do we feel about dual type attacks?

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do we feel about dual type attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi. View Post
    ^^ was talking about focus blast.
    They'd probably both be Fighting/Psychic anyway.

Blog Entries

If they made multi hit moves where each hit was a different typ it could work. Otherwise hell no
    The_Doctor likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

You mean like a Golem being hit with a dual type water/grass attack. That wouldn't be nice. Let's just stick to single type attacks.
    The_Doctor likes this.

That Zoroark is a Spy! Silver06's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Silver06's Youtube Channel

Oh jesus, Dual type attacks would BREAK the damage calculator, it would have to add, like, 3 or 4 more modifiers to the already over-complicated system.
    The_Doctor likes this.

I feel like if this ever happened only a very select few moves will ever actually become dual typed. Like how for a little while it seemed like fire/water/grass pledge would be game altering but it just wasn't. It will at most be a novelty. Perhaps the final evolutions will each get a water/dark move, grass/fighting move and fire psychic move. and that will be it. nothing game changing, just a novelty
    VINCIT QUI SE VINCIT

Trophies

Some types could be two-typed, but that'll make matters even more complex and make some moves OP. I think it should remain as is, though not a bad idea, but a flawed one.
    No.

Depending on what moves get dual typed this can be one hell of a ground leveler...or another mass monster genocide situation that yet again, compromises Pokemon who can't take it and won't receive any compensation for it.

I'm interested if true to say the least but this more leans on ending very, very badly when looking back and seeing how the series initially implements their game-changer stuff. That, and in my head, while all for the idea, one side of me keeps saying: hasn't Grass, Ice & Poison types suffered enough?
    Pokemon Black FC: 2837 9558 6665. Player Name: Valens

3DS FC: 2466 - 3213 - 3790
    Friend Safari: Fairy: Kirlia, Spritzee, Floette

Follow Meophist On Twitter

Thinking about it, there's two primary ways dual-typed attacks can work:
    First(A) is to apply the type effectiveness of each type of the attack onto the target Pokémon and multiply the results with the power of the move together.
    Second(B) is to split the move into two, that is to say, treat the move as two half-power moves, each with its own type, and resolve the type effectiveness separately.

Under A, a Electric/Fighting Thunderpunch would deal no damage against the Rock/Ground Golem, 2x damage against the Water/Flying Gyarados, 4x damage against the Water/Rock Carracosta, normal damage against the Grass/Rock Cradily, and half damage against the Grass Tangrowth.

Under B, the same move will deal normal damage against the Rock/Ground Golem, 2 1/4x damage against the Water/Flying Gyarados, 2x damage against the Water/Rock Carracosta, 1 1/4x damage against the Grass/Rock Cradily, and 3/4 damage against the Grass Tangrowth.

A will generally allow for more extremes, while B will simply be more reliable. When thinking of how the attacks could logically work, B makes a bit more sense to me(a Ground-type, for example, could negate the Electric-type effects of a Thunderpunch easily, but still gets hit by the force of the punch itself). Calculating the effects will be more difficult either way. A would allow for situations such as a theoretical Fire/Flying attack hitting Leavanny for 16x damage, which feels a bit absurd.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Maybe a few more moves similar to the Pledges but not dual-typed.

@Meophist; Exactly. Your Type B is the most plausible approach in-terms of not only balancing out damage spread but also changing the tide of battles (as your example of a Thunderpunch vs. Ground-Type went). If Dual-type damage worked in this matter I'd be all for it.

But I have the sinking feeling they'll take the easy way out and go for the Type A approach. Which means another mass monster genocide for not supremely stat heavy dudes that simply need a little "oomph" here and there.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2837 9558 6665. Player Name: Valens

3DS FC: 2466 - 3213 - 3790
    Friend Safari: Fairy: Kirlia, Spritzee, Floette

I really hate the idea of dual type attacks. It would just make things way to damn complicated than they need to be.
    Proud Sonic and Pokemon fan!

Deviantart: JohnSLPaul

2ds FC: 1478-4291-7605
    Friend Safari Type: Fairy

Duel-type moves is implausible for a game targeted towards children the age of 10. Honestly, I'm amazed GF was willing to split types by Atk and Sp.Atk.
    Which came first: the Mew or the Arceus?

Splitting physical and special attacks was a necessarily gameplay improvement. It changed the utility of a lot of Pokemon and (mostly) for the better -- e.g. it literally tripled the damage output of Hitmonchan's elemental punches, which were laughably weak in G2 and G3 as they were Special typed.

I'd say that whether a dual-type attack is plausible depends on whether its constituent elements overlap. For example, if Heat Wave is Fire+Flying then what happens if you use it on a Parasect? Fire+Flying vs. Grass+Bug = 16x damage? That would be obviously broken.

If you have a dual-typed attack whose elemental interactions don't overlap (like the aforementioned ThunderPunch, Electric+Fighting), then it's not so much an issue because against any single type the most you will see is a 2x modifier. It effectively acts like a new element.

Or perhaps dual-typed attacks would have different modifiers compared to the usual (single-typed) attacks.

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

Someone pointed this out...

How will a dual type fit?
    The_Doctor likes this.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast