How do we feel about dual type attacks? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would you like dual-typed attacks in XY?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like them. It would offer something new and interesting and more strategy in battles.

22 17.19%
  • No, it just seems like a bad idea to me. Let's stick with single-typed attacks.

85 66.41%
  • Not sure at the moment.

21 16.41%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How do we feel about dual type attacks?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do we feel about dual type attacks?

Would it screw over people a little for instance Ice punch a fighting type gets the move to get more coverage but then the move would be fighting again sort of messing with the point of learning ice punch
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Definitely not. Dual type moves would be a terrible change, not to mention extremely complicating and unneeded. It would be extremely complicated, and is just... blegh. No. It would totally screw up everything about battling in the worst way ever. The move system is perfect as is.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

Over complicating a simple game.

Blog Entries

I would just be really con fused so NO! What if I had a Golem and then it would get Poaned very easily.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

I agree with most others here that dual type moves would be too confusing. I would definitely not like to see dual move types existing in Pokemon.

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

I've added a poll to this thread, just so it can easily portray everyone's thoughts on the topic easier than having to read through a thread. :)
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Dex

Complicated. Unnecessary. Creates huge balance problems. Not opposed to multi-hit moves as suggested earlier, but a big no to calculating two types at once for an attack.

Go home Kalos rivers, you're drunk.
    My URPG Stats

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We do not feel good about them. Pokémon has already found a healthy balance between simple gameplay for the demographic, which the games are advertised to, and competitive mechanics for the older players. Adding dual-types attacks would just ruin that, and repel the young players who don't even care about types in attacks.

There's a difference between having challenges in the game, and between breaking it to make the players deal with the mess.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really find it to be unnecessarily complicated like everyone says, but there is another reason not to go through with this: it absolutely wrecks certain type combinations' viability. For example, let's say you were facing a Golem (and I know Golem will likely know Sturdy, but for argument's sake let's say this one doesn't have it), and you had a Water/Grass move at your disposal. Following on how type matchups currently work, it would likely be implemented so both move types' damage multipliers would be multiplied together. So with that in mind, we know Water is super effective against Rock (x2) and Ground (x2) making Water x4 super effective against Rock/Ground. Likewise Grass would also be super effective against both and therefore x4 as well. Multiply those two together and you get 4 x 4 = 16, so a Water/Grass move would likely do x16 base damage to Golem (again, under the assumption that multi type move bonuses would work the same way as multi type target bonuses). In the opposite extreme in which both of your attacking types are resisted by both of the target's attack types, it would be 1/16 by the same logic. So you could have anywhere from x1/16 to x16 base damage under this system, which is way too extreme a range since it would make certain combinations of moves and Pokemon types way overpowered or way underpowered. And x1/4-x4 is bad enough, so it's better to just let it go and stick with single type moves.

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I don't really find it to be unnecessarily complicated like everyone says, but there is another reason not to go through with this: it absolutely wrecks certain type combinations' viability. For example, let's say you were facing a Golem (and I know Golem will likely know Sturdy, but for argument's sake let's say this one doesn't have it), and you had a Water/Grass move at your disposal. Following on how type matchups currently work, it would likely be implemented so both move types' damage multipliers would be multiplied together. So with that in mind, we know Water is super effective against Rock (x2) and Ground (x2) making Water x4 super effective against Rock/Ground. Likewise Grass would also be super effective against both and therefore x4 as well. Multiply those two together and you get 4 x 4 = 16, so a Water/Grass move would likely do x16 base damage to Golem (again, under the assumption that multi type move bonuses would work the same way as multi type target bonuses). In the opposite extreme in which both of your attacking types are resisted by both of the target's attack types, it would be 1/16 by the same logic. So you could have anywhere from x1/16 to x16 base damage under this system, which is way too extreme a range since it would make certain combinations of moves and Pokemon types way overpowered or way underpowered. And x1/4-x4 is bad enough, so it's better to just let it go and stick with single type moves.
    And imagine that water/grass attack being used by a Ludicolo... x16 x1.5 for water stab, that's x24, and then another x1.5 for the grass stab, that's x36! and not to mention if it were raining, or something else to multiply the hell out of it. That poor Golem!

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=BigBadButterfree;4669614]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    And imagine that water/grass attack being used by a Ludicolo... x16 x1.5 for water stab, that's x24, and then another x1.5 for the grass stab, that's x36! and not to mention if it were raining, or something else to multiply the hell out of it. That poor Golem!
    I forgot about STAB and everything else. Yeah, that would suck even more, but it's just an example to illustrate the concept (because I can't think of a more realistic one). Fortunately for Golem, most people that use one would give it Sturdy, so it'd be able to take that massive hit. Other Pokemon may not be so lucky, though.

And I just thought of one. What about Fire/Flying against Grass/Bug? Pokemon like Leavanny and Parasect would be screwed.

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

no no, it would things more complicated than they really are. plus it would mess up the game. for example, let's use fighting spirit bullet. that is a fighting type move, but it's a special attack. but because it's special attack, they could easily also make a a psychic type move. so FSB is now a fighting/psychic type move. great! except it won't do anything against dark types now because of the extra element and i will only deal normal damage on rock, poison and steel types. it won't do anything against ghosts either.

see what i mean?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi. View Post
    no no, it would things more complicated than they really are. plus it would mess up the game. for example, let's use fighting spirit bullet. that is a fighting type move, but it's a special attack. but because it's special attack, they could easily also make a a psychic type move. so FSB is now a fighting/psychic type move. great! except it won't do anything against dark types now because of the extra element and i will only deal normal damage on rock, poison and steel types. it won't do anything against ghosts either.
    Spirit Bullet? WTF?

Are you talking about Aura Sphere?

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

^^ was talking about focus blast.

Another part of it is how can we defeat a Gastly with a ice punch, can not if it is a part fighting type, that is fighting moves are ineffective against ghost Pokemon.
    Do not ask me that you have a chance to be a mod, I will not take the job if it is to leave the forum.

my friend Pichu90 made my avatar.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast