How Accurate Are the English Pokémon Games' Translations?

Thread: How Accurate Are the English Pokémon Games' Translations?

Default How Accurate Are the English Pokémon Games' Translations?

I have been slowly studying Japanese for a little while, but I'm far from being fluent by any means. I am getting back into the Pokémon games and I'm currently playing through all of them (almost done with Pearl at the moment). Playing through the games got me wondering: How accurate are the English translations of the game when compared to the original Japanese games? This of course is a question for our Japanese-speaking fans on the board or perhaps someone who has some knowledge regarding the fact.

Of course it's widely known that most of the names for things are changed. What I'm referring to is the translation as a whole throughout the games. Are there a lot of liberties taken when translating to many lines of text? Or is the text for the most part pretty accurate to the original meaning with changes made just to make it flow better in English? How about when it comes to matters of cultural differences (are there some major text changes to make the meaning for clear for Western audiences)? Just something that's been racking my mind for a little while. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Follow Charazemma On Twitter Add Charazemma on Facebook

Default Re: How Accurate Are the English Pokémon Games' Translations?

I think the Japanese games are supposed to be a bit more mature.

Remember the guy in RBY in Viridian city who blocks your way? Well, in the original Japanese games, he was apparently drunk. But we westerners are too sensitive for alcohol. And the game corner. Pah.

I have no idea about anything else though. A Japanese speaker could probably reveal a lot...
    I'm a girl.

I call a Squirrel legendary in X and Y, just sayin'.

Loopy SummerXBen shipper! ObliviaRangerLuvva's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow ObliviaRangerLuvva On Twitter Add ObliviaRangerLuvva on Google+
    Follow ObliviaRangerLuvva on Tumblr Visit ObliviaRangerLuvva's Youtube Channel

I think it is a slight bit bad. I mean, in the american Diamond and Pearl, the Team Galactic grunt outside the great marsh swears at the player character. In the English version he doesn't swear. That proves that the translations are not too accurate.

Team Magma, Pokemon Pincher and Team Plasma member all at once and proud!
    I love Oblivia, and more importantly, UKULELE PICHU!
    http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PDuD2FR~cFuT

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

IMO, swearing isn't exactly proof of maturity, but it may be quite the opposite most of the time. I think they may fall on accuracy, but overall they translate the meaning of things quite well.

Except when they make the retardation of leaving out backstory or changing it.