Hints in HGSS? - Page 7

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Hints in HGSS?

Default Re: Hints in HGSS?

Quote Originally Posted by Aladar View Post
    Unown are actually the Keeper of the Wills.

Don't you dare. Don't you even dream of daring. I have had my heart broken ENOUGH by Lucas, thank you very much.
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

Blog Entries

How about a giant Eldritch Abomination formed entirely out of Unown?

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    "Harumpf! I do say, THIS counterfeit was more impressive than THAT counterfeit!"

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

I still can't get how everybody is in love with Unown.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Quote Originally Posted by Veggietable View Post

They spell words, man. Words! Even dirty words!

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

They got a movie and are never properly explained.

Oh, and Unown Lord is kind of a walking advertisement for them.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keegman View Post
    They spell words, man. Words! Even dirty words!
    I don't want to carry 4 Unown in my party just so I can spell FUCK. Specially when I can have it handwritten in my Trainer Card.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    They got a movie and are never properly explained.

Oh, and Unown Lord is kind of a walking advertisement for them.
    Movie 3 annoys me to hell, and we already know movies don't always portray Legendary Pokémon as they really are in the games canon, so I don't eat it; Unown Lord, well, he's just a fan. If I go batcrazy about Ampharos and start writing purple prose fanfictions about it and force them to you via the "Game Freak MUST do this and probably will" label, will you eat it and fell in love with good ol' Amphy?

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Eh, I like Amphy anyways.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Woooooooooo!

For most people, I'm guessing it's "intrigued" more than "in love with".
    ...Well, it's like that for me, at least.

The Unown are, after all, the most mysterious Pokémon as of yet, and they always seem to appear whenever something important's going on...

Thanks to Demotei of the SPPf for the perfect sprite~

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Unown will obviously at the end of the series all come together to kill us all, in a nice fiery ball of fire.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries

Regarding Prof. Silktree, his name has been known for quite some time - there is unused data in Crystal for a photo of the Research Center's founder, whose name is stated (in a similar fashion to the HGSS report). I was surprised to find out that the new HGSS researcher (who was really only added for the Sinjoh Ruins event) was not Prof. Silktree. On the one hand it is a mystery where the Professor has gone to, but on the other hand the new character has been set up to unravel the mysteries ("Unown, the Ruins of Alph, and Arceus... The mystery deepens... It has made me even more inquisitive! I will one day solve all the mysteries!"). I wonder if the two characters will be reunited at some point; Cynthia has already finished her research in the region of the Sinjoh Ruins, having returned to Sinnoh after the event with Arceus.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggietable
    What is this attitude all about? Very few fans are interested in the Unown and their mysteries, as they are neither cute nor useful. Sadly, the majority of Pokémon fans like having things spelled out for them, and having to think through things isn't one of their strongest suits. But since I know that you are not like that, I suspect that you are just biased.

This shouldn't be about whether or not the Unown are fan favorites. Name one other Pokémon that is actually a research topic in the games, and yet has been shrouded with mystery and ambiguity for years. While the Unown started out being similar to the fossil Pokémon, that was changed altogether in Crystal. Your point about Movie 3 seems petty when the Unown's importance was reinforced in a game released that very same year.

Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    Name one other Pokémon that is actually being researched in the games, and yet has been shrouded with mystery for years.
    ............ Eevee. No, Castform!

Regarding movie 3, wasn't the Entei in that a fake? That pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegman View Post

Regarding movie 3, wasn't the Entei in that a fake? That pissed me off.
    I'm glad Entei was fake I loath having loads of talking pokemon.

Blog Entries

Regarding Prof. Silktree, his name has been known for quite some time - there is unused data in Crystal for a photo of the Research Center's founder, whose name is stated (in a similar fashion to the HGSS report). I was surprised to find out that the new HGSS researcher (who was really only added for the Sinjoh Ruins event) was not Prof. Silktree. On the one hand it is a mystery where the Professor has gone to, but on the other hand the new character has been set up to unravel the mysteries ("Unown, the Ruins of Alph, and Arceus... The mystery deepens... It has made me even more inquisitive! I will one day solve all the mysteries!"). I wonder if the two characters will be reunited at some point; Cynthia has already finished her research in the region of the Sinjoh Ruins, having returned to Sinnoh after the event with Arceus.
    I was also dissapointed that the researcher in HGSS wasn't Silktree. But I have already stated my theory about why he's absent from the Arceus event (dead/not active anymore).

What is this attitude all about? Very few fans are interested in the Unown and their mysteries, as they are neither cute nor useful. Sadly, the majority of Pokémon fans like having things spelled out for them, and having to think through things isn't one of their strongest suits. But since I know that you are not like that, I suspect that you are just biased.
    I'm not biased, I'm aware of how mysterious the Unown are, it's just that I think they were given too much relevance even before the Arceus event, which has always seemed a bit farfetched to me, leaving other mysteries behind.

This shouldn't be about whether or not the Unown are fan favorites. Name one other Pokémon that is actually a research topic in the games, and yet has been shrouded with mystery and ambiguity for years. While the Unown started out being similar to the fossil Pokémon, that was changed altogether in Crystal. Your point about Movie 3 seems petty when the Unown's importance was reinforced in a game released that very same year.
    Maybe Unown are not fan favorites as much as I implied in my previous posts, but indeed they are given more attention than much Pokémon. And Porygon, being manmade and each generation adding evolutions to it proves it's also been the objetc of research in the games. Maybe not in the terms of Unown, but there it is. While the Unown (and I somehow agree with you) might have some role in the Pokéworld's past history, Porygon is shown as a sign of progress and development into the future.

I didn't take into account Crystal because, as you said, (sadly?) the Unown mysteries have never been solved, and even Crystal was no exception. While they were given a bigger role in Crystal than in Gold/Silver, its role wasn't fully solved and they remained novelty Pokémon. You were saying a while ago that Emerald retconned the series timeline making the Hoenn and Kanto storylines contemporary via the change in the dialogues PC storage system development(I don't agree completely on that, but you indeed had a point, and since it was stated by you, I think you should stand to your own opinions), so I think, in a similar way, HGSS retconned GSC and thus eliminated (sadly, I do admit this time) Crystal's additions to the storyline that weren't carried over to HGSS, which of course include Unown's mysterious connection to Suicune (and by extension, Ho-oh). That's why I ignoring Crystal's inforcement of what was shown in Movie 3.

Furthermore, if I remember well, creating illusions, which was Unown's big thing in Movie 3, was not part of Crystal's additions, was it? Sure, Crystal added some (not many) things to the Unown mystery, but illuisions wasn't one; not even in HGSS Unown are said to do that. So my point about Movie 3 stands: their portrayal in that movie is still unrealistic.

Blog Entries

But I have already stated my theory about why he's absent from the Arceus event (dead/not active anymore).
    And you think that Game Freak mentioned his name just for the sake of it? That seems unnecessary if someone else is filling his place. Professor Silktree is one of the select few cases where a scrapped character was restored in some way; there is probably a reason for that. But I digress, as he is obviously not the real mystery, although it is interesting to consider that the Unown might have made him disappear to prevent him from making a shocking discovery.

Porygon is shown as a sign of progress and development into the future.
    Really now? It would be great if more Pokémon could get interesting backstories (see Rotom), but not every concept can be given an intriguing context. The Unown were actually designed with the mythology in mind and little else, so I don't understand the complaint.

its role wasn't fully solved and they remained novelty Pokémon.
    God forbid should there be an element of ongoing mystery in the series. Again, not everything has to be clearly labeled to the point where the fans are spoon-fed by Game Freak what to think. I realize that the mysteries may never be solved because of this, but I'm hoping that ten years are at least long enough for more progress to be made.

so I think, in a similar way, HGSS retconned GSC and thus eliminated (sadly, I do admit this time) Crystal's additions to the storyline that weren't carried over to HGSS, which of course include Unown's mysterious connection to Suicune (and by extension, Ho-oh). That's why I ignoring Crystal's inforcement of what was shown in Movie 3.
    How wonderfully convenient. Actually, HGSS removed some of the more pertinent references to Suicune and everything surrounding it (the Brass Tower story and the connection to Ho-Oh and Unown) due to the story climax dealing with Ho-Oh/Lugia instead. Since the Unown were not part of Crystal's story climax, the Ruins of Alph references have been left in tact (barring one line that explained that the panels on the walls had appeared as a result of the radio waves emitted by Goldenrod's PCC). In fact, more players are aware of the Crystal references now that they are recorded in the Unown Report.

In HGSS' defense, the part with the beasts in the opening is clearly a reminder of Suicune's connection to the Unown, although it is certainly not as interesting as the Crystal opening. But what is more important is that the Unown are now connected to Arceus, as well, and their story is no longer limited to Johto (even the people who built the Ruins of Alph moved to another region). I really don't see where you are going with this.

Furthermore, if I remember well, creating illusions, which was Unown's big thing in Movie 3, was not part of Crystal's additions, was it?
    And why is this such a big deal to you? HGSS are the first games we've seen the Unown's collective powers emerge; I was personally more impressed by their ability to warp the player to the Sinjoh Ruins and their participation in the creation of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina's egg, than by what was seen in Movie 3. It is quite obvious that their portrayal in their movie was not misleading, even if it may not have been an accurate depiction.
    Last edited by Silktree; 14th April 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast