HG/SS = Lackluster?

Thread: HG/SS = Lackluster?

追放されたバカ

Default HG/SS = Lackluster?

I skimmed through the last couple pages but couldn't find an appropriate thread to post this in. If there is one, the mods can lock this one and I will post it in the appropriate thread.

*Disclaimer*

This following rant are my own opinions so you are welcome to disagree with it. I am not looking for a flame war.

I have just defeated the Viridian Gym leader and am now training my team to face the Elite 4 and champion. While looking back, I noticed this game was incredibly short! Or maybe I was just so used to D/P/Pt's extensive storyline and gameplay. Thank goodness they chose to stick to the original and include the option to visit Kanto after finishing Johto.

One of my disappointment was Team Rocket's encounters. You basically encounter them about 3 times?? in Johto and they were finished. I was shocked to learn the final battle would be the Goldenrod Underground/Radio tower arc. They could of easily extended their storyline into Kanto too but nope.

That brings me to my next rant. The biggest thing that ticked me off is they still chose not to do anything signifcant with Kanto. Besides fighting some trainers along each route and battling the gym leaders, there was absolutely nothing to do there!
    Did they do that because of the lack of memory in the DS carts? They were lazy to write some new storyline? They wanted to stick to the original? Who knows. We have this large land to explore and all you do is get the Powerplant up and running again. What a waste...

The Pokeathlons(sp) were pretty boring. I found a majority of the mini games really unengaging and some, downright ridiculous. I don't recall the name of every event but the one where you had to sprint around a course to collect flags was really hard. Your opponents were so fast and I often times had trouble keeping track where my Pokemon was. The only game slightly fun was the snowball one...

I think it was genius of them to include the Pokewalker as a gimmick to buy the game as I would NOT have purchased the game otherwise.

I don't completely dislike HG/SS as there are some features I appreciate such as the upgraded graphics. It was nice to see the towns and buildings in present time 2.5D graphics. Having your Pokemon follow you was a nice feature as well as the Pokewalker. It was also nice to hear all the updated background music as well.

Basically, I only have to beat the Elite 4 and champion and revisit all the areas where rock climb was required and that's probably it...

I am just happy as heck B/W have been announced and will be coming out to us non-Japanese folks early next year.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HG/SS = Lackluster?

This following rant
    Rants really don't need threads. That's what the blogs are for.

Anyways, yeah they could have had more stuff. They didn't. Get over it. They had the space and again chose not to use it. Same old story.

By the way, are you forgetting about Red?

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    Rants really don't need threads. That's what the blogs are for.

Anyways, yeah they could have had more stuff. They didn't. Get over it. They had the space and again chose not to use it. Same old story.

By the way, are you forgetting about Red?
    Maybe I should have not used the word rant then. Lol. I was actually really interested in seeing if anyone else out there felt that way. You see so many threads and people praising the game like it's the 2nd coming of Arceus but I believe nostalgia had a lot to play in with that.

I know the games are not perfect. Not everyone will like it just like with the previous installments. I guess I had high hopes for this game after playing Platinum. That game was great.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I agree, there was a lot of potential with TR and Kanto that they could have taken advantage of. But they didn't. So instead of getting irritated about what the games didn't have, I focus on what they do have. All in all, they aren't bad games. Incredibly nostalgic and very simple. I enjoy them.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

I wish they had extended the story beyond GSC (excluding events), yes. But I still enjoyed every moment of it.
    "You know that dragons are mythical Pokémon! They’re hard to catch and raise, but their powers are superior!" - Lance

Princess of Hoenn id peperit.

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the Poketaealon (don't tell me how it's spelled, I spell it incorrect in protest to ridiculous stupid name), and I use much time in the Battle Frontier, which still is my favorite place in gen4.

But yes, even though they reconstructed Kanto it's not enough for me to really like the storyline, Kantos plot should have been expanded much more, and the wild Pokemon should be much higher leveled.

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.

Are you telling me you've first beaten Blue, and then went on training for the Elite 4? How is that possible?
    Soul Silver FC: 5113 5924 0915

Quote Originally Posted by Battaman View Post
    Poop is racist, it's brown! RACEISM! And pee is yellow!
    -My Toilet, the Racist.

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The second E4?

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.