Have you ever ditched your Starter? - Page 3
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever ditched your Starter?

Nope Setra's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr

Default Re: Have you ever ditched your Starter?

Nope, never. I might try it in BW though, as those starters aren't very good.

Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

Ditching my starter? That would be a traitorous act!

I've ditched my starter but I put them back into my party later?

Gardevoir Enthusiast Okami Takahashi's Avatar
    Follow Okami Takahashi On Twitter
    Follow Okami Takahashi on Tumblr

Only once, and that was in Diamond. Sorry, Torterra, but you just weren't on par with my other Pokemon now...

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Posting what i posted at another place:

I never abandon my starter ingame even if it sucks(though I've felt like doing it). The worst scenario would be when it gets over-shadowed as my main mon. For example, in my crystal, my red gyarados overshadowed my typhlosion.
    Once on a white run, I was about to ditch snivy, but I never completed that run and started afresh. Instead of ditching the starter, I tried to make it useful. So, I kept soft resetting till I got an adamant snivy and used coil/leech seed/ ariel ace/ leaf blade. It was fairly reliable. Since then, I have just tried to make a starter useful rather than ditching it. Like using meganium as a dual screens mon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Visit VirtualAnomaly's Youtube Channel

I have actually never ditched my starter during the storyline of the games, up through the elite four and champion battles. Once I'm finished though, and begin training new Pokemon and new teams for competitive battling, I "ditch" the starter, but always use it in some team later on.

I rarely use my starter. If I cant get Treeko in that game or feel like not using it I will occasionally try to find another pokemon to start with. In fire red I ditched my Charmander as soon as I caught a Pidgey, in Platinum I got rid of Piplup as soon as Magikarp learned tackle, and in my third run through of White I decided to trade over a Riolu egg and start with that.

Hit me with ya best shot Neon Shades's Avatar

I generally use it, unless I'm doing a challenge where it's not allowed

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I've avoided using a starter occasionally during replays, but the 5th gen was the first time I ditched one right off the bat. It's not that I don't like any of the 5th gen starters, but there were just so many new 'mons I liked this time around that I was kind of spoilt for choice. Though ironically I picked Tepig just so I could get Pansage early, which I guess is just essentially switching a true starter for a lesser one :P

I'll probably do the same thing with BW2. There are still an awful lot of gen 5 pokemon I'd like to use.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Never! It's a starter Pokémon after all, my very first Pokémon. For example, my Serperior was really useful in BW when its combination of Coil and Leaf Blade took out a half of Cynthia's team. I would have never reached that level of Serperior's strength if I left him rot in the PC. The same goes for all other starters, they're my team aces.

Blog Entries

Whenever I first get to the daycare, I pop my (usually under-leveled) starter in there. The only exception is the Johto starters, I usually keep them around because their evolutions are so well designed.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

I ditched my Venusaur in my very first playthrough of Red at one point because I thought I was relying on it too much, but I quickly changed my mind and put it back in my team. Other than that, never. Even if I don't train them, I use them as HM slaves.

Who is this git?

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Never, really. I mightn't train them as thoroughly as other Pokemon for periods of time, or not use them for a while, but I always go back to them somehow. I don't know why, really, I just have this weird bond with my starter, no matter what starter they are, I usually grow fond of them in a whole playthrough of a game. I mightn't use my starter in B/W 2; I'd like to do something different for once to challenge this little bond of mine.
    "Calculated tactics, mental strength, accurate judgment, and being blessed with gorgeous looks! The person who has all of these is...!"

Only once, I restarted my Platinum and ditched my Monferno for a Houndoom.

I've boxed it occasionally (i.e when I was facing a gym challenge where there was a type disadvantage and I wanted to make room for another Pokemon that would fare better against the gym's type) but I've never released it.

Does trading away your starter to a different game and then resetting the file count? Cuz I did that a lot...true it was to get all the starters on my OTHER game but...

Aside from that I rarely ever ditch my starter, except in Black where I'm doing an electric-type only run. I traded Tepig for a Pichu-egg.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast