The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow Gaebriel On Twitter
    Follow Gaebriel on Tumblr

Default Re: The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Whitney was so unexpected. She KO'd the majority of my Pokemon, and I had to slowly chip away at her Miltank's HP with an underleveled Hoot-Hoot.
    Not fun.

Also, Norman wasn't necessarily a surprise, but I underestimated him completely. I took out his Vigoroth, only for it to be replaced with another one. No win for me.

Bapalapashamalamadingdong Papertowner's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Admittedly, Drayden in W2. I've never had a problem with Dragon-types before, and made it through the rest of the gym fine, but it took me a good 4 tries to beat him.

W2 FC: 5072 - 3911 - 7167
    attain japanese shiny mew [x]
    50+ ribbons on one pokemon [x] - train mojo jojo to lv. 100 [ ]

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Considering how easily I defeated the Gym Leaders before him, Norman was a shock, especially considering that he trains Normal Pokémon; the weakest type in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cheren really surprised me. I thought he'd be a joke since he was the first Gym Leader, but he ended up being hard with that Work Up-spamming Lillipup. Boy ws hne annoying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Whitney in HeartGold. Remembering how difficult she was back in GenII I was prepared for a really tough battle but she was really easy in the remake. The reason might of course be that I was simply a lot better at battling and stuff than I was back in the day, but it still came as a surprise.

Brycen in Black. Ridiculously weak.

Koga in Yellow. The Gym Leader before him, Erika, used Pokémon ranging from level 30-32. Koga however uses Pokémon ranging from level 44-50, which was very surprising and I thought I had maybe accidentally skipped a Gym.

Post Thanks / Like

Whitney probably was the biggest surprise, no one excpected of her as a third gym leader to be that tough.
    then there are Tate and Liza.God, I can't find the words to describe how much i hate them, that Claydol and Lunatone -.-,I battled them 4 times till I manage to beat them

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lenora was a nasty shock. That damn Herdier gave me no end of headaches

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when I first fought Whitney in Crystal and after KO'ing Clefairy I thought it was such an easy battle. Then came those haunting words... Milktank used Rollout... I lost within the next few turns.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't even remember a struggle when I first battled Brock in LG (mainly because my Bulbasaur sweeped with Vine Whip)

But I do remember the pain when I used Charmander. Even with Metal Claw, having a team of Metapod, Kakuna, Pikachu and Rattata didn't help...

I've been playing Platinum for the first time and ahhhhhh Gardenia was such a pain. Not because she was tough, but because all my Pokemon were traded from my Diamond and NONE of them would obey me. My Aerodactyl even decided to take a nap in the middle of the match and just waited until it fainted. So many retries because of that. :c

Smile~

Post Thanks / Like

Koga, Lenora & Whitney were all surprises at just how hard they were to beat but the longest I ever spent on a gym was Chuck in Gold. His Poliwhirl used to destroy me every single time.

Clay's Excadrill surprised me as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Markos on Tumblr Visit Markos's Youtube Channel

Bugsy in HGSS. Scyther used U-Turn!

Whitney in HG. Being uneducated in Pokémon at the time, I used male Pokémon. I quickly realised the magnitude of my mistakes.

Claims: Ferrothorn, PokéGear, Nanab Berry, Megahorn, Dry Skin, Caesar, Morgan Black

Post Thanks / Like

Miltank and Scyther from second gym :P
    DIAMOND: Migrain - 1247 6498 6663

Do you like potatoes? Toadkerfy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sabrina's Alakazam in Fire Red. I expected it to be hard, since I lost pretty badly the first time I played the game when was younger. I defeated it in one attack with a Dugtrio. ._.

Or the first gym in Hoenn, or 2nd in Kalos. I didn't think I'd need Parlyz Heals in those types gyms. It was the most annoying thing ever. They paralyze everything, and I never get a chance to attack anything.

Shows magical aptitude DraxxorT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's already bean said by others, but the only big surprise I've had against gym leaders was Whitney, and her Rollout using Miltank. I thought my team was reasonably leveled, but I'm not sure if I included a fighting-type. Probably that Machop that you could trade for . . . it's been a long time since that first Gold Version playthrough. Anyway, new Pokémon, new move that I had never encountered before. Wiped me out.

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 2 was my first and besides the Miltank thing. Morty's ghost pokemon sure was a surprise. I didn't know that normal didn't affect ghosts and I cried because not only could I not hit his pokemon, they were faster and I usually got OHKO'd. Also Jasmine's Steelix and hyper potion. F.M.L

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast