The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Everyone has their first, and perhaps to get through the story, many have avoided guidelines and spoilers, turning to NPCs in-game to figure out what to do next.

The Gym Leaders are one of the biggest challenges you face, and the question is:

Who surprised you the most when you battled them?

There are moments when you just yell out a swear word because you had been completely unprepared for a certain pokemon, or a certain move.

There were quite a few for me, but I should say Fantina because I didn't know about Aftermath and was shocked when my pokemon died when I KO'd her Drifblim, and Roark because I didn't know Cranidos had such a high attack - one Headbutt cut over half my HP ;_;

And no mentions of cut scenes because I know if I allowed that, everyone's going to talk about Elesa's B2W2 cutscene. Nope, not that. I mean battles.

Blog Entries
    Add Jammy2A on Facebook

Default Re: The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

well, Whitney in Johto was a surprise.... at the time I didnt what rollout did.... other than that I can't really think of a gym leader that really surprised me

Default Re: The Gym Leader battles that surprised you the most upon your first challenge

Cilan ¬¬ Come on, it's the first Gym Leader. I was definitely not planning having to fight him four times.

Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

Brawly on Emerald and Cheren on B2. The 1st one of those is because I was a noob, the 2nd because I was being stupid. As far as I remember, the only 2 gym leaders I didn't beat on my first try.

Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Maylene is about to send out Lucario.

-Wait, isn't that a legendary?"

It happens when you're one of those to go on a media blackout for the new generation.
    Oh?

Add Chiss on Facebook

When I was a about eleven I played crystal for the first time. I kind of underestimated Whitney because of her pink gym and trainers with Sentret. Then she OHKO'ed my Quilava with one hit. -.- I was shocked.

The twins in emerald surprised me. I had a level 40 Swampert so I thought that I would be safe. Enter Solrock's sunny day/solar beam.

Whitney's Miltank and Lenora's Watchog. 'Nuff said
    Markos likes this.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It doesn't count, but Blue being a Gym leader was a pleasant surprise.

More on the topic...

Bugsy's Scyther actually putting up a pretty good fight in both generations, sweeping with Fury Cutter the first time I saw it, and it using U-Turn efficiently.
    Wattson's Manectric being too strong too, OHKOing Shock Wave.
    Winona having an Altaria. I didn't even know what an Altaria was other than "oh god was that just a Dragonbreath?"
    Juan rematching you in a Double Battle.

... And that's about it.

[/overexposition]

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mil......motherf**k*r...tank!
    Silverwynde and Markos like this.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Lenora, Cheren, and Skyla (in BW2). Lenora's Watchog proved to be a worthy adversary, and I was left with a Purlion to defeat it. Cheren's Work Up spam and my underleveled Pokemon caused me to SR. Skyla messed up my strategy when her Swoobat OHKO'd my Vibrana on the first match, and it took down my Scolipede.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Most of the Hoenn gym leaders I thought would be easier. I found Flannery particularly difficult, I thought it would be easier that that but that Torkoal messed me up. >.<

It's tragedy on a bun. Poke Prophet's Avatar

That's a tough one. I've played through so many times on each gen I've lost count. But from what I can remember from my first playthrough of ruby I remember being surprised by the double battle with the twin gym leaders, not only by the double battle but by the fact that Lunatone and Solrock seemed so bulky at the time.

But one that definitely threw me was when I replayed my red version, Sabrina uses a Venomoth. I didn't think anything of it at first but now I realize that Venomoth is poison/bug, no psychic typing.

Stumped Turtwig A's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Roxanne's Nosepass was by far my greatest surprise. I was using a Mudkip that was on the verge of evolving, and I still couldn't even 2HKO that Nosepass with its defenses.

(20:56:57) Luxis: All y'all are a bunch of Silly heads.
    RIP Giruja. Why must you have been fake?

(17:58:01) daytwon: why am i watchin ot turtwig
    (17:58:03) ±Dratini: daytwon was muted by Heather Star for 30 minutes! [Reason: inappropriate] [Channel: Trivia]

[15:26] Synthesis: he ain't godkilled
    [15:27] Ebail: Zam was Syn
    [15:27] Synthesis: it was an agreed sacrifice to the gods

Blog Entries

Lenora always tend to ko a pokemon of mine due to friggen retaliate after I beat her first pokemon. If I do a nuzlocke rock type is a good thing to have to absorb that.

The one that really surprised me was Juan in Emerald. That Kingdra he has with ice beam, smokescreen, dragon dance, and surf was ridiculously unfair. If you couldn't beat it in the first few turns, you were done for.
    Gengarzilla likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast