Was Generation V too short?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Was Generation V too short?

Default Was Generation V too short?

Since they where no remakes this generation, Gen. 5 lasted less than others in the past. However, it also seems Game Freak and Nintendo were in a rush to release games for the 3DS. I am aware they may have been working on X and Y since they got the 3DS Development Kits but, Generation 5 just seemed too short. What is your opinion on this subject?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Was Generation V too short?

I don't understand how it was "too short." Maybe in comparison to past generations it wasn't the longest, but it was by no means short. By the time Pokemon X & Pokemon Y are released in October Pokemon Black & Pokemon White will have been in circulation for three years. I also don't think GameFreak rushed through this past generation to get to the sixth generation in any way. Nintendo wanted GameFreak to begin producing main series games for the 3DS so they made the necessary transition before it was too late. If GameFreak had truly rushed to get a main series game on the 3DS then Black & White would have been introduced on the 3DS.

What could GameFreak have done to realistically prolong the fifth generation of games? Produce remakes of RSE on the DS? Nobody would purchase rehashed games on an obsolete console, and GameFreak wouldn't introduce all of these new features on a rehashed game either. GameFreak took the next step onto much bigger and better things and it's going to pay off more than an extension of old games on a finished console for a small demographic of disgruntled players.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't really get the impression that this generation has been too short. It was shorter than the last generation, but they made it last as long as they could and they couldn't put any more games on the DS at this point. They certainly couldn't make R/S remakes on the DS when the 3DS has been out for so long. I think that the BW anime feels shorter than the whole generation, but that might from the faster pace. The generation has had a faster pace than I initially expected, but it wasn't too short.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I dont see why because it isnt 4 years long like in Gen 4 it's "too short" In my opinion they did everything they could with Gen 5, yes, they couldve released remakes but why are they nesessary to all Generations? They had to get a 3DS game out sometime and better sooner rather than later.
    El_ and The Guardian Sylveon like this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

I think this gen's been a reasonable length (they tend to be 3 or 4 years long, so this just confirms the trend), so I wouldn't say "short" exactly, more underdeveloped. For example, they've never missed the chance to make a console game a la Stadium/Colo before, and Ranger hasn't been released for this gen. They clearly don't want to spend too much time on this gen up, so that they can wrap it up move onto a new platform (the 3DS, and possibly the Wii U).

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    What could GameFreak have done to realistically prolong the fifth generation of games? Produce remakes of RSE on the DS? Nobody would purchase rehashed games on an obsolete console, and GameFreak wouldn't introduce all of these new features on a rehashed game either. GameFreak took the next step onto much bigger and better things and it's going to pay off more than an extension of old games on a finished console for a small demographic of disgruntled players.
    RSEmakes would sell whether they were on the DS or 3DS. True, the 3DS will probably allow them to look better and so be a bigger success, but they would still be fairly popular regardless. It's been a long time since we got to explore Hoenn, after all.
    szmty likes this.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

I think the main Pokemon series had a good run on the DS. Gen V got Black and White, and later on Black 2 and White 2. Gen I got Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow. Gen II got Gold, Silver, and Crystal, Gen III got Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald and the introduction or Remakes with Fire Red and Leaf Green. Gen IV got Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and the remakes Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

The only thing that would have drawn the generation out any longer would have been that Ruby/Sapphire remake. Personally if they are planning to remake those games, I'm more than happy they'd wait until the jump to 3D to make it! I would love to see Hoenn in 3D. (Technically I'd love to see ALL the Regions in 3D but that aint happening anytime soon! xD)
    An IceFox who prefers fire types? That's... interesting.
    I'm more partial to blues and greens as well~

Y am I this strong? Mega Uncle Edit Y's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am actually in favor of the length of generation five. It gave us a chance to savor what the games of the generation had to offer without dragging on for too long that we grow tired of Pokemon. Generations three and four felt a little too long in my opinion, so having a length that's similar to the early days is a nice change of pace. So, I think that 3 years per generation is about right.
    On a side note, I think a reason that Game Freak is getting ready to move on to generation six (besides give the 3DS a killer-app) is that they want to keep their fans interested by not making generation five feel too long for some.

Registered User Mamasoftshellturtle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Mamasoftshellturtle on Facebook
    Visit Mamasoftshellturtle's Youtube Channel

I thought gen 5 went fast. Maybe it's because I'm older now, and 3 years now is different than 3 years when you were 8 years old. As much as I want a RSE remake, I don't think it's possible because they announced gen 6. I remember after they released pokemon HGSS remakes they announced gen 5. I think the reason why it felt so fast was because of the circumstances of the 3DS being introduced. Another reason is probably because they didn't make a major console game like Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum. I REALLY do want a RSE remake though.
    Yato and szmty like this.
    Amyda Nakornsrithammarajensis

The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

I can agree that it's sort of been short-lived in the US and Europe, but for Japan Gen V's been going on for quite a while... For me personally, Gen V flew past, but that's only because I'm getting older and time passes faster! Haha, I was 2 months into my first year at College in 2010 when I bought B/W, I'm now in my third and final year and Gen VI won't be here until October this year!
    So I can see why some believe it was shorter than the rest, but I'm certainly more appreciative now that it's coming to an end and we're getting the FULL transition into 3D! Bring on X and Y! I'm excited!
    N is finished yet.

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As others have said, it only feels short because time seems to be flying by faster as we get older. The older youth (myself included) have more responsibilities and things to keep them busy, so that makes it seem like things are going by quicker. It will definitely have been three years since Gen V came out in Japan when X and Y come out, which is the same length as Gens I and II. I think three years is a good length of time for a generation. If some of the fans don't like the Pokemon introduced in one generation, they won't have to wait for eons until the next generation comes out that might have Pokemon that they actually like. I think it's good that GF does that. They also want to keep up with the new handhelds that Nintendo releases every few years, too.

Blog Entries

I don't feel Gen V was short. It may have seemed short, but in reality, it lasted about the usual time frame as the other Gens have, give or take. Like I said, it probably felt short, but this was because of the lack of remakes. Gens III felt longer thanks to FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald and Gen IV felt the same way due to Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver. But, in reality, it was about the same time. Again, because we got hit with more games in earlier Gens is the reason why Gen V felt a little short (five in both Gens III and IV while only four in Gen V). Also, technology evolves quickly, so the usual time distance between such things lessens as the technological power expands and grows. Remember, it took at least two to three years before a Japanese version of the game would arrive in other countries (Red and Green/Blue, for example, took about three years to hit the states after Japan, give or take), but nowadays, the releases are much quicker. Again, thanks to rapidly evolving technology. But no, I don't feel Gen V was at all "too short". It still had a lot of accomplishments and success, it just feels shorter because of how fast it was released and spread.

But no, I don't see how Gen V was at all shorter compared to the other Gens. I foresee that, by the time Gen VII starts to roll around (if it does), we'll be having this same discussion about Gen VI as we are now.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

I think it felt short, but that's probably because time just went by so fast. Like others have stated, it did last the usual time period. Plus, I've grown a bit attached to this generation, so I think I'm going to be unfairly biased towards X and Y.
    Koukoubean likes this.

Blog Entries

Yes, it should have lasted until at least 2014.

I felt like it was short, but only because I skipped B/W and went straight to B/W2, so I only played Gen 5 for 1 year. :P

Nyx

I think Gen V's length was just fine. It was short compared to Gens III & IV, but not shorter than Gens I & II. Plus, I got a feeling Gen VI is gonna last a lot longer.
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast