SPOILERS: Gen VI Pokemon Discussion - Page 120

View Poll Results: Which are your favourite Pokemon revealed so far?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

52 36.11%
  • Quilladin

35 24.31%
  • Fennekin

51 35.42%
  • Braixen

53 36.81%
  • Froakie

46 31.94%
  • Frogadier

59 40.97%
  • Fletchling

29 20.14%
  • Talonflame

45 31.25%
  • Pancham

32 22.22%
  • Pangoro

45 31.25%
  • Skiddo

28 19.44%
  • Gogoat

37 25.69%
  • Inkay

28 19.44%
  • Malamar

34 23.61%
  • Litleo

28 19.44%
  • Pyroar

56 38.89%
  • Scatterbug

14 9.72%
  • Spewpa

13 9.03%
  • Vivillon

32 22.22%
  • Helioptile

30 20.83%
  • Flabébé

23 15.97%
  • Skrelp

27 18.75%
  • Clauncher

32 22.22%
  • Noivern

51 35.42%
  • Spritzee

30 20.83%
  • Swirlix

18 12.50%
  • Honedge

36 25.00%
  • Dedenne

27 18.75%
  • Bunnelby

18 12.50%
  • Furfrou

27 18.75%
  • Tyrunt

61 42.36%
  • Amaura

48 33.33%
  • Meowstic

53 36.81%
  • Orotto

30 20.83%
  • Sylveon

47 32.64%
  • Xerneas

59 40.97%
  • Yveltal

41 28.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 120 of 348 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 5214
Like Tree2711Likes

Thread: Gen VI Pokemon Discussion

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Default Re: Revealed Gen VI Pokemon Discussion/Speculation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarftail View Post
    There's just one problem, though. A lot of people aren't basing their speculation about Sylveon being female-only on appearance alone, but rather on naming. As we know, it's Japanese name derives from "nymph." It wouldn't make sense for it not to be female-only at that point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a Pokemon that was named after something exclusively female, yet can be both genders. If so, then fine.
    Mr. Mime is able to be both male and female, and yet has a male exclusive name.
    Mr. Mime's Japanese name is the gender-neutral "Barrierd", so that isn't an example. That being said, I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a male Pokemon whose species name has "nymph" in it, especially given that most players won't even know that a "nymph" is a female thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarftail View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a Pokemon that was named after something exclusively female, yet can be both genders. If so, then fine.
    Well, I don't know about female names, but Slowking has "king" in both its English and Japanese name (Yadoking), yet can be female.
    Mr. Mime wasn't the best example, however, team Gaara has provided a much more appropriate example. Slowking's Japanese name, Yadoking, ends in KING, which is a well known male exlusive term, and yet Yadoking are able to be female. Slaking's Japanese name, kekking, also ends in the word king.
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.

i do not think that sylveon's evolution will be gender based as well for one, it could have been done a long while ago
    also the fact that there are "gender exclusive" names but come in both male and female

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    i do not think that sylveon's evolution will be gender based as well for one, it could have been done a long while ago
    also the fact that there are "gender exclusive" names but come in both male and female
    Popular example would be Gardevoir. The name's Sir Knight

The Original Sylveon The Guardian Sylveon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just a thought here but if Sylveon is indeed a female only evolution then I guess it could somehow make sense in terms of how rare Female Eevee are. Maybe Game Freak wanted to take advantage of Eevee's gender ratio and do something special with it (for the record I don't want Sylveon or any other possible New Eeveelutions to be gender based). Another thing is what if in this New Region the Eevee's that live there have 50/50 gender ratios and if Sylveon is a female only evolution then prehaps there must be a male evolution too since Male and Female Eevee would both be equals in terms of gender. To continue on if the Fairy Typing Sylveon supposedly has turns out to be true then I would like to bet that there will be another Eeveelution that's Dragon Type either if it's gender based or not. Just think about it both are mythological creatures who always seem to be linked together in fairytales it would really sort of make sense (that's if the Fairy Type turns out to be real). Also because 2 Eeveelutions have always been released since Generation 2 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Team Eeveelution All The Way!!!

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snubbull Lover 777 View Post
    Another thing is what if in this New Region the Eevee's that live there have 50/50 gender ratios and if Sylveon is a female only evolution then prehaps there must be a male evolution too since Male and Female Eevee would both be equals in terms of gender.
    Well, the thing is, I don't think that the gender ratio has to do so much with how often you'll find one of either gender, but of how often they occur generally in the species. To make this simpler (since I don't even think that was clear), I don't think they could just change the ratio. To give a real world example: Calico cats are almost always female because of their genetics, not necessarily because they are easier to come about.

The few things I question about Sylveon being female only (not directed at anybody specifically):

1. Appearing feminine: If Game Freak was going to make Sylveon female only just because it is highly feminine, why weren't Espeon or Glaceon female only? They arguably look just as feminine as Sylveon.

Also, In examining Sylveon, we see that one of its bows is on its head (a feminine quality), but the other is on its neck like a bow-tie (a masculine quality). This could be a stretch, but I think maybe the bows are on its head and neck are to show they they could essentially be of either gender (or that the bow-tie was to prevent it from looking too feminine).

2. Unstable genetic makeup: Every one of Eevee's Pokedex entries refer to it having irregular genetics in one way or another and most of them also mention that Eevee evolves to survive in its environment. If this is true, regardless of what type Sylveon is, why is this one irregularity only found in female Eevee? If it's genetic makeup responds differently depending on the environment, why does this one change only effect females? That would imply that Eevee had other irregular genes, right?

I'm not really against Sylveon being only female because it would be harder to obtain (I actually think that sort of challenge would be cool), but it just seems inconsistent, especially given that Sylveon was revealed without another Eeveelution along side it.

The Original Sylveon The Guardian Sylveon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snubbull Lover 777 View Post
    Another thing is what if in this New Region the Eevee's that live there have 50/50 gender ratios and if Sylveon is a female only evolution then prehaps there must be a male evolution too since Male and Female Eevee would both be equals in terms of gender.
    Well, the thing is, I don't think that the gender ratio has to do so much with how often you'll find one of either gender, but of how often they occur generally in the species. To make this simpler (since I don't even think that was clear), I don't think they could just change the ratio. To give a real world example: Calico cats are almost always female because of their genetics, not necessarily because they are easier to come about.

The few things I question about Sylveon being female only (not directed at anybody specifically):

1. Appearing feminine: If Game Freak was going to make Sylveon female only just because it is highly feminine, why weren't Espeon or Glaceon female only? They arguably look just as feminine as Sylveon.

Also, In examining Sylveon, we see that one of its bows is on its head (a feminine quality), but the other is on its neck like a bow-tie (a masculine quality). This could be a stretch, but I think maybe the bows are on its head and neck are to show they they could essentially be of either gender (or that the bow-tie was to prevent it from looking too feminine).

2. Unstable genetic makeup: Every one of Eevee's Pokedex entries refer to it having irregular genetics in one way or another and most of them also mention that Eevee evolves to survive in its environment. If this is true, regardless of what type Sylveon is, why is this one irregularity only found in female Eevee? If it's genetic makeup responds differently depending on the environment, why does this one change only effect females? That would imply that Eevee had other irregular genes, right?

I'm not really against Sylveon being only female because it would be harder to obtain (I actually think that sort of challenge would be cool), but it just seems inconsistent, especially given that Sylveon was revealed without another Eeveelution along side it.
    Yeah I can definitely agree with you on that why give us a Female Eeveeution and not a male one to go along with it. Something else I want to point out is what if Sylveon is indeed a New Type and that's the reason why they are promoting it first to build some hype. So if possible the other Eeveelution is being kept a secret maybe until atleast the last month before the short airs along with the movie. As for it's type if Sylveon is indeed a Fairy Type then I would like to say that another Eeveelution would most probably be Dragon Type to me they just go hand in hand.

Team Eeveelution All The Way!!!

Zeb
    five times in the mirror Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

So I just had a thought: Could the move in Sylveon's XY game trailer (the one that no one could really pinpoint as an existing move) be the same weird move it uses in the anime movie trailer? Just a thought, they don't look exactly alike (I can see "sky" and stars in both--and both look other dimension-y sorta) but the anime likes to take liberties while the games tend to dumb things down in comparison.

And if the move is related to Sylveon's whole theme (or typing) why wouldn't they drop a hint in its game trailer? Because Mewtwo used Psystrike along with other moves, the starters all used their respective Grass/Fire/Water moves along with other moves; maybe this is the move related to Sylveon's type and the others were just to show off the battle animations just like the starters and Mewtwo's scenes had their related moves?

Also can anyone remember whether Corocoro hinted at Xerneas and Yveltal being space-related when it covered them back in January? (I seem to remember something, but I know it's a long time ago, sorry.) Because Sylveon's move shows stars and sky-like view (also seems dimension-y) and the gym shown in the trailer:

also has stars and what seems like a starry sky back drop. Plus the walkways that I presume you have to move along bend around in a way that looks like you would have to defy gravity to walk along without falling off. Sure, it could be psionics, like telekinesis (or something completely unrelated like sticky flooring :P) and the gym logo does look to be purple like the Psychic-typing, so maybe it's all a coincidence?

Could all be coincidental, but I figure I'd post it all and see what others think (just noting that I am not supporting a Space-type/Cosmic-type or saying that this is hinting to one, I'm just posting some observations that occurred to me).
    Last edited by Zeb; 3rd May 2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
    Reila likes this.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Also can anyone remember whether Corocoro hinted at Xerneas and Yveltal being space-related when it covered them back in January? (I seem to remember something, but I know it's a long time ago, sorry.) Because Sylveon's move shows stars and sky-like view (also seems dimension-y) and the gym shown in the trailer:
    CoroCoro didn't hint at a space theme; someone mistranslated the text.

also has stars and what seems like a starry sky back drop. Plus the walkways that I presume you have to move along bend around in a way that looks like you would have to defy gravity to walk along without falling off. Sure, it could be psyionics, like telekinesis (or something completely unrelated like sticky flooring :P) and the gym logo does look to be purple like the Psychic-typing, so maybe it's all a coincidence?
    Interesting. How many moves are animated with stars? Only Swift and Wish come to mind. The stars would be rather random for a Psychic gym. I don't think that the gym logo is a reliable indicator, since the Unova gym logo colors were pretty inconsistent. Besides, Espeon is being represented by a purple color even though Psychic's color has been pink until now. Perhaps Espeon and Sylveon don't represent their type colors faithfully, since pink and purple are close enough.

I have to say that Sylveon's move does not give me vibes of a Fairy type. It doesn't look like fairy dust.

Zeb
    five times in the mirror Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    CoroCoro didn't hint at a space theme; someone mistranslated the text.
    That settles that as I couldn't remember exactly. Thanks.

Interesting. How many moves are animated with stars? Only Swift and Wish come to mind.
    I think those are the only two. (Coincidently or not, Swift was also used in Sylveon's XY trailer.)

The stars would be rather random for a Psychic gym.
    We do have Pokemon like Gothitelle that have a relation to stars and space (also reality too-which could be similar to Sylveon's move which looks to be distorting reality with its bizarro sky dimension) aswell as Solrock, Lunatone, the Elgyem-line, Deoxys and Jirachi, and all are part Psychic, so stars aren't unrelated to the Psychic-type at this point in the franchise. But we know Sylveon isn't going to be a Psychic-type due to Espeon, so I'm not sure whether I'm looking into the night sky/star relation to Sylveon too much.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    I think those are the only two. (Coincidently or not, Swift was also used in Sylveon's XY trailer.)
    There's also Meteor Mash, whose Japanese name is Comet Punch. The English Comet Punch (Consecutive Punch in Japanese) is unrelated to stars.

We do have Pokemon like Gothitelle that have a relation to stars and space (also reality too-which could be similar to Sylveon's move which looks to be distorting reality with its bizarro sky dimension) aswell as Solrock, Lunatone, the Elgyem-line, Deoxys and Jirachi, and all are part Psychic, so stars aren't unrelated to the Psychic-type at this point in the franchise. But we know Sylveon isn't going to be a Psychic-type due to Espeon, so I'm not sure whether I'm looking into the night sky/star relation to Sylveon too much.
    Stars are still not what you would associate with Psychic in general. Also, I wouldn't compare Sylveon to extraterrestrial Pokémon; I suspect that Sylveon is connected to the upper sky (heaven if you will) rather to space itself. Nymphs aren't aliens, after all, and the setting of the movie short looks like Mount Olympus.

I'm a bit stumped as to what it means for the gym to be transformed into what would appear to be a living room, though. The logo color is inverted to white, too. Is this a form of astral projection? Is the gym supposed to mimic the experience of leaving one's body and observing the stars?
    Last edited by Silktree; 4th May 2013 at 12:56 AM.

God-type?
    Bellossom likes this.

I remember someone coining the name 'Lore' type or something on that line; I think Astral, Lore, or Myth type would be better suited opposed to 'Fairy' but if it does turn out to be fair then, meh.

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

Sylveon could be the ??? type for all we know.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Blog Entries

I'm going with either Flying or a new type, but for all we know, Game Freak make Sylveon a second Psychic type, or make it a Bug-type (two highly unlikely events).
    Still, Flying is becoming less and less likely. I'm going with a new type, for now. Something space-related. Cosmic? Astral?
    I'll probably never even use Sylveon in my main gameplay, if I even get the game.

The Great and Powerful TheBugChampion's Avatar

also interesting to note:

the two fairies that talk to Mothra are known as the Cosmos. so Lore Cosmic Fae Astral. maybe there's a word we're forgetting that can tie all those together easier, or maybe the Type itself will be slightly different in each language. Fae in one, Cosmic in another, for example.

Sylveon really is a high capital pokemon with a very broad question right now: what is it?

xerneas and yveltal too.

besides a new type, i'd really like more info on either what the starters evolve into, orrrrr what the new regional lowbie first encounter pokes are. i'm hoping for less mammal and more bug. :P