The In-Game Team Advice Thread - Page 54

Page 54 of 115 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Uh huh... Well... Huh... Pokebreeder10's Avatar

Default Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

HeartGold, Fighting Team Rocket, beaten Pryce.

Feraligatr(F) 35, Timid, Torrent @Mystic Water
    -Crunch
    -Surf
    -Ice Fang
    -Scratch(To be replaced with Slash.)

Ampharos(F) 34, Calm, Static @Magnet
    -Discharge
    -Thundershock
    -Tackle
    -Thunder Wave

Miltank(F) 34, Mild, Scrappy @Kings Rock
    -Body Slam
    -Strength
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Milk Drink

Flareon(M) 34, Docile, Flash Fire, @Silk Scarf
    -Bite
    -Quick Attack
    -Tackle
    -Tail Whip(To be replaced with a fire type move.)

Scyther(M) 34, Jolly, Technician, @???
    -Wing Attack
    -Slash
    -Razor Wind
    -U-Turn

Crobat(M) 34, Timid, Inner Focus, @???
    -Confuse Ray
    -Bite
    -Mean Look
    -Fly
    (Mean Look is only to help with entei and raikou. When I get to Blackthorn, this will be replaced with Cross Poison.)

Any Ideas for Items, changes in team/natures/pokemon, etc.? It's greatly appreciated.
    Credit for avatar to lawnmowergirl.
    Pokemon black friend code:
    2323-0113-9260

Blog Entries

okay, about to take on the johto e4

Bellossom
    sludge bomb
    magical leaf
    sleep powder
    hyper beam

vulpix(evolving it as soon as I get a fire stone)
    flamethrower
    dark pulse
    iron tail(replacing but dunno with what)
    confuse ray(replace?)

feraligatr
    surf
    earthquake
    ice fang
    focus blast(going to replace with another fighting move later)

misdreavus(evolving when I get a dusk stone)
    shadow ball (ftw)
    thunder(replacing with shock wave or thunderbolt when I get either)
    pain split(replacing with perish song later)
    psybeam (replacing with psychic when I get one)

Right, I’ve tried over and over and over, and can only get to about 45 wins in the battle tower (aiming for 50+). I thought I’d assembled a good team - all 3 of them cover each other well... maybe I just need to get better at predicting the opponent’s attacks and acting accordingly. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Lead: Bronzong (levitate)
    252 Defence/252 Spec Defence/8 HP
    Nature: Sassy
    Item: Choice Scarf
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Trick
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Protect

Strategy here is probably obvious. I lead with Bronzong, then proceed with trick to get the opponent stuck in a loop. If possible, Bronzong uses stealth rock, and then one of the other two members of the team will be switched in (depending on the type of move being used). If neither of these is appropriate, then I get Bronzong to use toxic and then protect itself as much as possible while the foe’s HP decreases. This leaves a predictable point at which I can use trick again, before the foe faints from the effects of toxic. I then have the choice scarf back to use on the next pokemon.

Latios
    252 special attack/252 speed/8 HP
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Focus sash
    ~ Dragon pulse
    ~ Calm mind
    ~ Ice beam
    ~ Thunderbolt

With any luck, the opponent will be tricked into using a non-attacking move, which leaves the perfect opportunity to switch in Latios and use calm mind to maximise both special attack and special defence. I used this moveset with the advice of another FM earlier on in the thread (though I’m sticking with dragon pulse over draco meter, because I’m keen to use only attacks that have 100% accuracy). Once this has been achieved, the rest of the match is usually a breeze. Even if the opponent gets an attack in first, Latios has the focus sash for insurance.

Heatran
    252 special attack/252 defence/8 HP
    Nature: Rash
    Item: Lum berry
    ~ Earth power
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Sunny day
    ~ Solar beam

Heatran totally covers Latios’s weaknesses and so it is often more suitable to switch it in instead, depending on the move being used. A fire type, of course, is brilliant, as it boosts Heatran’s fire moves and has no effect thereafter (this is a common enough occurrence given that it is Bronzong’s only weakness). Heatran can, therefore, set up with sunny day before eliminating the opponent. If the next pokemon is a water or ground type, Heatran is in the position to eliminate them with solar beam. At risk of a ground move getting in first, Latios can be switched in instead to no effect.

Heatran is probably the most problematic one listed here. I really should’ve EV trained it in speed instead of defence – it’s not painfully slow, but at critical moments it often fails to get the first (crucial) attack in. Its 4x weakness to ground is also really annoying – if the other two are already down then it doesn’t stand much of a chance. It’s also got no way to boost its special attack like Latios has.

I did recently try switching Heatran for the following:

Rampardos
    252 attack/252 speed/8 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Focus sash (Latios was given the lum berry)
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock polish
    ~ Fire punch

I haven’t written Rampardos off completely, but it didn’t seem to work as well as Heatran, as it doesn’t have as many resistances and has virtually the same weaknesses (save the 4x weakness to ground). Primarily, it doesn’t compliment the other 2 in the same way. Rock polish is obviously a good way to set up, but it rarely has the opportunity to do so as its defences are so weak all round.

So, really, I’m after a bit of general advice. Should I, perhaps, try and get a load of EV reducing berries (or perhaps a new Heatran…) and EV train the latter in speed rather than defence? Is there another pokemon that I haven’t thought of that would do the job just as well? Should my TrickScarf lead be switched for someone else? Any recommendations for the movesets, items, general strategy, etc?

Like I say, perhaps I just need the practice – i.e. getting used to the opponents that may have moves that will OHKO my pokemon and switching when I need to. I should probably give up, but it’s actually quite fun once you get the initial battles out of the way!

Thanks

Blog Entries

i use this team for online battle on PBR and it does pretty well, but i was wondering whether i could improve the team. this team is a doubles battle, sand storm and trick room team, which explains the low speed for most of the pokemon

tyranitar: @???
    -crunch
    -ice fang
    -earthquake
    -rock slide
    tyranitar usually sets up sandstorm for the rest of the team, is doesnt give that many benefits to anyone other than cacturne, but it does help slowly deterioate the opponents health and stopping leftovers

cradily: @leftovers
    -stealth rock
    -toxic
    -energy ball
    -earth power
    cardily usually comes out with tyranitar, he usually sets up a stealth rock and then either toxic or attacks the opponent if he has a type advantage

armaldo: @focus sash
    -x-scissor
    -earthquake
    -stone edge
    -aerial ace
    armaldo if pretty much here to destroy everything in its path, focus sash is so surf doesnt take it out in one shot, x-scissor is very handy for taking out the likes of mewtwo and darkrai.

swampert: @expert belt
    -waterfall
    -earthquake
    -ice punch
    -hammer arm
    swampert gives the team a much needed water type, he is powerful and allows for an easy take out, also hammer arm is handy for when bronzong sets up trick room

bronzong: @quick claw
    -trick room
    -hypnosis
    -dream eater
    -gyro ball
    bronzong is one of the main pokemon on my team, setting up trick room then forcing the pokemon to fall asleep, this thing has managed to take mewtwo out by itself

cacturne: @???
    -thunder punch
    -seed bomb
    -dark pulse
    -leech seed
    cacturne is one ive just added onto my team, he is a great offensive pokemon and can take out some very strong pokemon. the only problem i have is its terrible defences, im thinking about putting a focus sash oh him like armaldo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by isac View Post
    i use this team for online battle on PBR and it does pretty well, but i was wondering whether i could improve the team. this team is a doubles battle, sand storm and trick room team, which explains the low speed for most of the pokemon

tyranitar: @???
    -crunch
    -ice fang
    -earthquake
    -rock slide
    tyranitar usually sets up sandstorm for the rest of the team, is doesnt give that many benefits to anyone other than cacturne, but it does help slowly deterioate the opponents health and stopping leftovers

cradily: @leftovers
    -stealth rock
    -toxic
    -energy ball
    -earth power
    cardily usually comes out with tyranitar, he usually sets up a stealth rock and then either toxic or attacks the opponent if he has a type advantage

armaldo: @focus sash
    -x-scissor
    -earthquake
    -stone edge
    -aerial ace
    armaldo if pretty much here to destroy everything in its path, focus sash is so surf doesnt take it out in one shot, x-scissor is very handy for taking out the likes of mewtwo and darkrai.

swampert: @expert belt
    -waterfall
    -earthquake
    -ice punch
    -hammer arm
    swampert gives the team a much needed water type, he is powerful and allows for an easy take out, also hammer arm is handy for when bronzong sets up trick room

bronzong: @quick claw
    -trick room
    -hypnosis
    -dream eater
    -gyro ball
    bronzong is one of the main pokemon on my team, setting up trick room then forcing the pokemon to fall asleep, this thing has managed to take mewtwo out by itself

cacturne: @???
    -thunder punch
    -seed bomb
    -dark pulse
    -leech seed
    cacturne is one ive just added onto my team, he is a great offensive pokemon and can take out some very strong pokemon. the only problem i have is its terrible defences, im thinking about putting a focus sash oh him like armaldo
    This isn't built right for Doubles at all. It's Blocky, which is bad for Doubles, try to make it so you get through battles rapidly, you can't stall in Doubles.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

ok thanks ill try and fix it up

Default TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

I am going to do my first play through of SoulSilver (on my way to get MewTwo!). I have completed Pokemon platinum and I want to make the most out of my SoulSilver. Can anyone suggested some very interesting pokemon to catch in SoulSilver to help make my party better, or some to bring over from Platinum that might have been ignored on a regular play through?

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I brought a Omanyte over from my Diamond game and it made for a very intresting playthrough. Also Pincer is good, it gets X-scissor at only Lv30.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exoity View Post
    I am going to do my first play through of SoulSilver (on my way to get MewTwo!). I have completed Pokemon platinum and I want to make the most out of my SoulSilver. Can anyone suggested some very interesting pokemon to catch in SoulSilver to help make my party better, or some to bring over from Platinum that might have been ignored on a regular play through?
    There are plenty of interesting pokemon, though some suggestions might include:
    Jolteon, everyone catches Ampharos.
    Magneton, good steel type
    Gliscor. Good overall.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Insert Custom User Title exordia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leaby View Post
    Right, I’ve tried over and over and over, and can only get to about 45 wins in the battle tower (aiming for 50+). I thought I’d assembled a good team - all 3 of them cover each other well... maybe I just need to get better at predicting the opponent’s attacks and acting accordingly. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Lead: Bronzong (levitate)
    252 Defence/252 Spec Defence/8 HP
    Nature: Sassy
    Item: Choice Scarf
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Trick
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Protect

Strategy here is probably obvious. I lead with Bronzong, then proceed with trick to get the opponent stuck in a loop. If possible, Bronzong uses stealth rock, and then one of the other two members of the team will be switched in (depending on the type of move being used). If neither of these is appropriate, then I get Bronzong to use toxic and then protect itself as much as possible while the foe’s HP decreases. This leaves a predictable point at which I can use trick again, before the foe faints from the effects of toxic. I then have the choice scarf back to use on the next pokemon.

Latios
    252 special attack/252 speed/8 HP
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Focus sash
    ~ Dragon pulse
    ~ Calm mind
    ~ Ice beam
    ~ Thunderbolt

With any luck, the opponent will be tricked into using a non-attacking move, which leaves the perfect opportunity to switch in Latios and use calm mind to maximise both special attack and special defence. I used this moveset with the advice of another FM earlier on in the thread (though I’m sticking with dragon pulse over draco meter, because I’m keen to use only attacks that have 100% accuracy). Once this has been achieved, the rest of the match is usually a breeze. Even if the opponent gets an attack in first, Latios has the focus sash for insurance.

Heatran
    252 special attack/252 defence/8 HP
    Nature: Rash
    Item: Lum berry
    ~ Earth power
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Sunny day
    ~ Solar beam

Heatran totally covers Latios’s weaknesses and so it is often more suitable to switch it in instead, depending on the move being used. A fire type, of course, is brilliant, as it boosts Heatran’s fire moves and has no effect thereafter (this is a common enough occurrence given that it is Bronzong’s only weakness). Heatran can, therefore, set up with sunny day before eliminating the opponent. If the next pokemon is a water or ground type, Heatran is in the position to eliminate them with solar beam. At risk of a ground move getting in first, Latios can be switched in instead to no effect.

Heatran is probably the most problematic one listed here. I really should’ve EV trained it in speed instead of defence – it’s not painfully slow, but at critical moments it often fails to get the first (crucial) attack in. Its 4x weakness to ground is also really annoying – if the other two are already down then it doesn’t stand much of a chance. It’s also got no way to boost its special attack like Latios has.

I did recently try switching Heatran for the following:

Rampardos
    252 attack/252 speed/8 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Focus sash (Latios was given the lum berry)
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock polish
    ~ Fire punch

I haven’t written Rampardos off completely, but it didn’t seem to work as well as Heatran, as it doesn’t have as many resistances and has virtually the same weaknesses (save the 4x weakness to ground). Primarily, it doesn’t compliment the other 2 in the same way. Rock polish is obviously a good way to set up, but it rarely has the opportunity to do so as its defences are so weak all round.

So, really, I’m after a bit of general advice. Should I, perhaps, try and get a load of EV reducing berries (or perhaps a new Heatran…) and EV train the latter in speed rather than defence? Is there another pokemon that I haven’t thought of that would do the job just as well? Should my TrickScarf lead be switched for someone else? Any recommendations for the movesets, items, general strategy, etc?

Like I say, perhaps I just need the practice – i.e. getting used to the opponents that may have moves that will OHKO my pokemon and switching when I need to. I should probably give up, but it’s actually quite fun once you get the initial battles out of the way!

Thanks

The only advice I can give you is that Stealth Rock isn't very good in the Battle Tower because the AI opponent almost never switches. You should consider switching Stealth Rock for something else that fits in your moveset.

Sorry if it's not much.

Blog Entries

Switch Bronzong out for SPiritomb, is my advice. You can use a mix of Trick, Grudge, and Pressure to deplete their PP, then set up with Lati@s.

Made by Blue Dragon!

What a Catch, Donnie Cross Poison's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alex800 View Post
    Oh God, I just had to review this team, Misdreavus is my favourite Pokemon of all time! please don't evolve it!

Bellossom
    sludge bomb
    magical leaf
    sleep powder
    hyper beam

Okay, Energy Ball > Magical Leaf, so replace when you can, and get rid of Hyper Beam, it's a terrible move, Replace with Amromatherepy or something, 'cos you need some support.

vulpix(evolving it as soon as I get a fire stone)
    flamethrower
    dark pulse
    iron tail(replacing but dunno with what)
    confuse ray(replace?)

Evolve ASAP, replace Iron Tail and Confuse Ray with Sunny Day and Solarbeam.

feraligatr
    surf
    earthquake
    ice fang
    focus blast(going to replace with another fighting move later)

Replace Surf with Waterfall/Aqua Tail, and Focus Blast with whatever, a high power Physical move

misdreavus(evolving when I get a dusk stone)
    shadow ball (ftw)
    thunder(replacing with shock wave or thunderbolt when I get either)
    pain split(replacing with perish song later)
    psybeam (replacing with psychic when I get one)

Favourite Pokemon ever, so cute =^-^=
    Uh yeah, Thunder and Thunderbolt are both very nice moves for this thing, go with whichever one you want. Perish Song comes in real handy in game, on a trainers last Pokemon, so don't spam it on the first one they send out, because they WILL switch, and Psychic is all good, you can pick up the TM in Kanto somewhere, Saffron I think. That or Celadon.
    I have claimed Rock Slide in the official claim a move thread. And I did it before you.

Quote Originally Posted by exoity View Post
    http://wyncorporation.com/pokemon/index.php Use this. Random Pokemon Genarator.

Riding The Storm Out Infinity Storm's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Infinity Storm's Youtube Channel

Default TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

hey heres my secondary team lineup for on Pokemon Emerald I actually made this team, with a trade from my FireRed and my Gale of Darkness for some fill-ins but here it is. Ill give u the strategy behind it after the lineup.

Misdrevius-Item:Quick Claw
    Moves: Perish Song
    Mean Look
    Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Ability:Levitate

Exploud-Item:Charcoal
    Moves:Earthquake
    Brick Break
    Overheat
    Hyper Beam
    Ability:Soundproof

Wobbefaut-Item:Focus Band
    Moves:Counter
    Mirror Coat
    Safeguard
    Destiny Bond
    Ability:Shadow Tag

Absol-Item:Scope Lens
    Moves:Perish Song
    Megahorn
    Slash
    Future Sight
    Ability:Pressure

Mr. Mime-Item:Brightpowder
    Moves:Psychic
    Reflect
    Thunderbolt
    Icy Wind
    Ability:Soundproof

Cacturne-Item:King's Rock
    Moves:Spikes
    Sunny Day
    Faint Attack
    Solarbeam

Altaria-Item:Sharp Beak
    Moves:Perish Song
    Dragon Claw
    Sky Attack
    Fly
    Ability:Natural Cure

And here's the strategy: First have Misdrevius use Perish Song, not affecting Exploud due to its Soundproof ability. Have Exploud use Earthquake or Brick Break, depending on the opponents' types. Earthquake won't affect Misdrevius due to its Levitate ability. Have Misdrevius use Mean Look on the opponents until its Perish Count hits one, and then swap it out for Cacturne. Have Exploud continue to act as a powerhouse, and have Cacturne use Spikes, then Sunny Day. Depending on the opponents, either swap it out for Absol or Misdrevius (depending on Misdrevius' health and the opposing pokemon types) or have it use Solarbeam to wear the other team down. The Perish Song+Soundproof Combo works with any combination of Altaria/Misdrevius/Absol with Exploud/Mr Mime. Exploud's Overheat can quickly become an extremely powerful attack when boosted by its Charcoal and Cacturne's Sunny Day. Cacturne can use Spikes to damage the opponent when they swap out, trying to avoid Perish Song or use a pokemon with a better type advantage. Misdrevius and Wobbuffet can prevent the opponent from swapping out, with the Mean Look move and Shadow Tag ability respectively. Overall, I think this is a good team. however, what do you think?

Awesome Banner by Blue Dragon

Blog Entries

This is possibly for a tournament team if they decide to use Battle Frontier rules, if not it's for the Battle Tower:

Lead option #1:
    Kaa-Kel (Lucario) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Ice Punch

Luke is lead option #1, boasting better speed, typing, and stronger priority than option #2, Gallade. However, Lucario suffers from being fragile.

Lead option #2:
    Edward III (Gallade) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Steadfast
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Ice Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Psycho Cut

See exhibit #2, Gallade. It boasts greater attack, slightly better coverage, some form of durability (especially against special attacks) and a high chance of scoring needed KOs. However it is slower and has less reliable priority.

Both leads are kind of anti-hax; Luke is immune to flinching while Gallade gets a welcome boost to speed. Any help deciding on a lead would be appreciated.

P-40 (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Veil
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang

Fast, strong, etc

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs / Life Orb / Yache Berry / Colbur Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Recover / Thunderbolt
    - Dragon Pulse

Very undecided on Latios' set. I need the best coverage possible with the maximum amount of damage output, as well as insurance against potential hax. Also, Weavile scares the shit out of me.

The rest is very straightforward, basically an application of heavy offense under Tower rules. Do as much damage as possible, with the lead and Garchomp removing Latios' counters and finishing with a near-unstoppable Draco Meteor. Any sort of feedback is appreciated, I mainly need help with deciding on what to lead with as well as an item/set for Latios.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.