In Game Pokemon: do you choose because you like them or they're 'strong'? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: In Game Pokemon: do you choose because you like them or they're 'strong'?

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Re: In Game Pokemon: do you choose because you like them or they're 'strong'?

Strength doesn't matter in games in the slightest, so I just pick and use Pokemon I like. Seriously, strength in-game doesn't mean crap. I beat Drake's Salemence with a Petal Dancing Bellossom that somehow survived some Flamethrowers in a row. I even used a Corsola during one play through. Overall, when it comes to competitive battling my choices vary. But I see no reason to be stingy in-game.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: In Game Pokemon: do you choose because you like them or they're 'strong'?

I once went through an entire playthrough of SoulSilver with a Sunflora.

Yeah....
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

I only ever use Pokémon I like. Often this leaves me with glaring weaknesses to one particular type, but I get by it by giving my Pokémon versatile movesets and as clever a strategy as I can think of.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Add Chiss on Facebook

You don't have to have clever strategies to defeat people ingame. :D

Both :)

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

I choose cards, and would chose if I could afford the games, based on Pokemon that I like over strength. I get frowned on by trading card game experts everywhere. I find victory more fun when I like my team.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I couldn't care less about strength, as I'm not a competitive battler. I try to use new Pokemon each time I start a new file. If I used the same ones over and over, I would have never loved Ferrothorn, Lanturn, Lapras, etc. as much as I do today.
    Lavender and metalamor like this.
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

Several rules I always stick to when building in game team:

1 Have gender
    2 Can evolve without having to be traded
    3 Above 450 base stat when maximally evolved

So I think it's a mix of both, they are usually relatively strong at least in terms of stats. Then I like them because they feel more like raising a normal creature that has gender and can grow up.
    Last edited by aquaflute; 4th December 2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Travel the world, taste great food, till we are old.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

I like all Pokémon, so I use all and any Pokémon, picking the ones I'm in the mood for atm.

Blog Entries

Most of the Pokemon I like are good competitively. One exception is Serperior, I love that snake to death. A combination of Swords Dance, Leaf Blade, Aqua Tail and Outrage is pretty scary in-game.
    Shiny Sninx Breeding!
    Hatch Count: 67
    Trying to obtain a Shiny Shinx!

I use the Pokemon I like regardless of strength, though often the stronger ones are used more often. To me it's more important that I have a variety of types in my team than for them all to be extremely strong, but if I don't particularly like a Pokemon, I tend to lose interest in training it quite quickly.

I use pokemon I like. When I got white 2 I took Tepig(which I'm not a fan of), went out and caught a Sunkern, put Tepig in the pc and never looked back.

i only use those who visually appeal to me

but as a kid i liked big bulky mons since well i was a stupid kid who liked monster being depicted as strong big and powerful
    Frenzy Plant likes this.

Nyx

I only use pokemon that I like. If they're strong too then great, if they're not, still great.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

When I make an in-game team, I prefer to try and use Pokémon I have never used before (Aside from the starter) and wouldn't want to use competitively, so more often than not, I end up using Pokémon that I know have no competitive potential. For example, in my JP White 2 I used a Scolipede and in my EN Black 2 I used an Altaria - two Pokémon I would never think of using competitively.

However, there are some Pokémon I wouldn't use because of how bad they are - which is why I didn't use my shiny Sunkern in my Black 2 team and I decided against using Azurill because of how weak it is before it evolves. Yet I'm using a Stunfisk in Black - so go figure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast