Is Gabaraisu a homage to SNL? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Gabaraisu a homage to SNL?

Real California Cheese. Birdyspot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bell02スパークリング View Post
    no... I think that Wikipedia article is wrong. I'm pretty sure the idea for land shark really broke off of some kind of sand shark legend.
    I highly doubt the SNL writers were thinking that far into it. Jaws was the first modern-day blockbuster; the phenomenon of summer '75 just before the first SNL season started that fall. The idea that "the water isn't safe anymore" translated into the idea that you're not safe ANYWHERE from a Great White with a vendetta. And you can bet there were probably some illicit psychoactive substances involved, too.

Also, the sand shark family are so named because they spend most of their time at the sea floor as opposed to open water, not because they come up on land (which no shark does).

At any rate, Gabaraisu is a land-dwelling but definitely shark-like creature. The idea of "land shark" has embedded itself in popular culture since SNL, as Archaic hits upon. If not directly influenced by SNL, I do believe Creatures Inc. surely had the phrase "land shark" in their minds when they came up with Gabaraisu. This guy harks back to the creativity and fun of the first generation of monsters--and mesa like.

Too me, Creatures Inc. had "Juptoru", "Samehada", and "SEXU!" when they made it. 8D

I'm pretty sure the Keaton was based off a japanese ledgend, not Pikachu (although, it could of been both).
    Seems like both. Keaton was actually a kitsune as seen in Majora's Mask, but the way people talked about Keaton like it was some fad involving children along with the coloration and ears seems like a deliberate Pika parody.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Yeah, that makes sense. The face was too close to Pikachu to be a coincidence.

I see dead Shuppets...... Merov's Avatar

What about the Weedle and those angry caterpillars with big-red noses and a flower on the head from the Mario's SNES game? Always I thought they were relatives at some point withing Nintendo offices :P

They gave Gaburias Sharpedo's coloration and "star on head" design on purpose right?

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Birdyspot View Post
    I highly doubt the SNL writers were thinking that far into it. Jaws was the first modern-day blockbuster; the phenomenon of summer '75 just before the first SNL season started that fall. The idea that "the water isn't safe anymore" translated into the idea that you're not safe ANYWHERE from a Great White with a vendetta. And you can bet there were probably some illicit psychoactive substances involved, too.
    My mistake if I wasn't clear, I meant Gamefreak probably got the idea from the legend, as the tend to look to legends and animals to get ideas for a majority of the monsters.

I figured SNL was doing a cash-in parody on Jaws I just wanted to say that the legend of a land-shark predated SNL the tv sketch comedy program. Its not really an uncommon monster either, I remember a bunch of RPGs have them (but the only one I can think of right now is lost magic)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12