Favorite Ingame movesets?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ingame movesets?

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wink Favorite Ingame movesets?

This is the thread to discuss your favorite movesets ingame. Donot discuss movesets for competitive battling here.

My favorites:

Emerald:

Gardevoir @ TwistedSpoon
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Synchronise

Calm mind
    Reflect
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt

My emerald Gardevoir was arguably my most successful Pokemon ever when I was younger. I have always loved setup-sweepers and my love for them started from here. I would start off with reflect and then calm mind upto +2 or more and then sweep with the 2 moves here. It did get walled by stuff like Cacturne but it was definitely one of my most reliable Pokemon then I used a lv 53 gardevoir(with this set) to defeat Wallace's entire team. I even used this in the battle tower and got to 20 or so victories, a record in those days!

4th gen:

Gyarados@ Shell bell
    Nature: Adamant

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Ice Fang
    Earthquake

Yep, another setup-sweeper and also my flag ship set for 4th generation.I have used this set in each and every gen-4 game.Just setup Dragon Dance, get to +4 or so and use the appropriate move to destroy virtually everything. I used this set to defeat cynthia with my underleveled team. Just got +6 with DD by using a couple of X-spdef to soften spiritomb's attack. Has never disappointed me so far.

Staraptor @ AmuletCoin
    Nature:Adamant

Brave Bird
    Close Combat
    Quick Attack
    U-turn

Another of my mainstays in d/p/p. Never needed a boosting move. Brave bird kills a lot of stuff. Close Combat is just sexy. Quick attack always helped and U-turn was great to remove the CC defensive drops and also to abuse Intimidate again.

5th gen:

1) Volcarona @ Leftovers
    Nature:Timid

Quiver Dance
    Fiery Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Fly / Psychic

Wow, just wow. The power this thing wields after a couple of turns of setup is mind-boggling. I have used this thing and this thing only to defeat Alder and Cynthia atleast 50 times now. Nothing can match this buggers power. I used psychic for the last moveset in the past, but fly provides more utility since this guy is the only member in my team while hatching eggs thanks to its flame body ability.

2) Ferrothorn @ Rocky helmet
    Nature:Brave

Curse
    Gyro ball / Iron Head / Buldoze
    Power Whip
    Leech Seed / Payback

I have used this thing twice in my previous playthroughs and trust me, it just refuses to die. Curse boosts his attack and defense making it harder to kill this thing(as if it was easy in the first place). It also makes this thing slower which is great with Gyro ball. I used Iron head once since Gyro Ball has low PP and even Bulldoze to hit stuff like Klinklang harder. Power whip is power whip, really powerful while in the last slot, I used payback before(which also becomes more powerful since it goes second.) In my second playthrough, I bred one with Serperior for leech seed. I now start off a battle with leech seed to increase this thing's longevity even more! Rocky Helmet also helps do even more damage to my rival mon. Fire mons give some problems but I used a flash fire Chandelure to help.

3)Scrafty@Wide Lens
    Nature:Adamant
    Ability: Moxie

Bulk up
    High Jump Kick
    Crunch
    Rock Slide / Dragon Claw

My infamous moxie Scrafty. Bulk up, then spam High Jump Kick. Moxie makes this thing deadlier after each KO. Crunch and Rock Slide / Dragon Claw give more coverage. Seriously, this thing made Grimsley and Caitlin cry.

So, tell me, which are / were your favorite and most effective movesets in the games?

Happy posting!
    Last edited by Lord Clowncrete; 2nd February 2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Favorite Ingame movesets?

Well, to be honest, when I play in-game, I play with competitive potential in mind, so I try to keep their movepools competitively valid.

That said, I am currently playing a SoulSilver file where I'm deliberately attempting to avoid the competitive mindset, so I can tell you what my movesets are for those.

Typhlosion@Charcoal
    Nature: Naive

-Flamethrower
    -Eruption
    -Headbutt
    -Hidden Power [Psychic]

I was holding out for a Timid Nature, but got tired of soft resetting, so I kept the naive one. Eruption is more powerful but Flamethrower has more PP, so when I'm fighting many trainers, I'd rather use the latter. Headbutt is for coverage and since Typhlosion is ridiculously fast, there is a good chance I can flinch. I got stuck with Psychic for my hidden power (I was holding out for Grass ,) it's not the best, but it works pretty well.

Sunflora@Miracle Seed

-Sunny Day
    -Solarbeam
    -Leech Seed
    -Razor Leaf

Sunflora's a Pokemon I never use, but I decided this playthrough would be full of those, so since she's the only Gen II Grass type I've never trained, she got into my team. Flora's awful Speed stat pisses me off more than it maybe should, hence why Sunny Day exists. Use in tandem with Solarbeam for a strong STAB. Leech Seed is always fun and Razor Leaf is there for her to deal with Special Walls.

Azumarill@Mystic Water

-Waterfall
    -Double Edge
    -Rollout
    -Surt

I picked Azumarill as a shout out to the non chosen PC in HGSS having a Marill. Waterfall has the double purpose of abusing Huge Power and it's nature for tons of damage and carrying me up Waterfalls. Surf is so I don't have to switch Pokemon every time I need to get into the water. Rollout and Double Edge are for coverage.

Ampharos@Magnet

-Headbutt
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunderpunch
    -Thunder Wave

Honestly, I'm thinking of removing T-Wave. Whenever I use it, the opponent always ends up getting paralyzed via Static instead. Anyway, T-Bolt is it's main STAB. Headbutt is for coverage, and T-Punch is there for the same reason Sunflora has Razor Leaf.

Umbreon(Pt)Sprite.png">

Umbreon@Leftovers
    Nature: Sassy

-Bite
    -Faint Attack
    -Baton Pass
    -Quick Attack

Umbreon usurped Forretress as my wall. I'll be honest, Baton Pass is there in case I ever want to retrain it for competitive purposes. Bite flinches, F-Attack never misses and it's his better STAB move, while Quick Attack is there for finishing off weakened targets and revenge killing.

Ursaring@Silk Scarf

-Lick
    -Strength
    -Slash
    -Faint Attack

Ursaring was a late addition to my team, so I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with it yet. Lick's for the paralysis chance, but I'm not too fond of it. Strength gives it a strong STAB until it likes me enough to make use of Return. Slash is a secondary STAB and Faint Attack is there for coverage. I'm thinking about maybe teaching it EQ and Stone Edge though.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Furret@ Shell Bell
    Nature: Serious
    Ability: Keen Eye

-Solar Beam
    -Ice Beam
    -Shadow Ball
    -Iron Tail

My Furret, Bubbles, is currently on my HeartGold team and is almost at level 100. I've had it since my sister gave it to me as an egg when it was traded over from LeafGreen to my Ruby game. He has been on every game I own and I love his moveset. The wide variety in move types is really useful, and can take down many different pokemon types easily.
    Last edited by We'reBlastinOffAgain; 4th February 2012 at 09:11 PM.
    HeartGold FC- 3697 3834 7354
    Platinum FC- 3826 2943 9809
    Black FC- 2623 7586 3462

Don't mess with L!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by We'reBlastinOffAgain View Post

Furret@ Shell Bell

-Solar Beam
    -Ice Beam
    -Shadow Ball
    -Iron Tail

My Furret, Bubbles, is currently on my HeartGold team and is almost at level 100. I've had it since my sister gave it to me as an egg when it was traded over from LeafGreen to my Ruby game. He has been on every game I own and I love his moveset. The wide variety in move types is really useful, and can take down many different pokemon types easily.
    Ah. ferret is very under-rated. Most people classify it as "a typical early rodent" but I can say that it is extremely effective,.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

♦ fabulous ♦ -Yamirami-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

My Pokemon usually have good movesets in game. Here's one of them.

Serperior (Smuglord) (Naive) (Item: I generally switch it around, but often Amulet Coin)

-Leech Seed
    -Coil
    -Leaf Blade
    -Aerial Ace

Coil is for him to gain Attack and Defense boosts. Sadly, the accuracy boost is wasted due to the already great accuracy of his moves, but oh well. Leech Seed is to stall stuff. Leaf Blade is his main attack move, while Aerial Ace is mainly there to hit Grass and Bug types. Shame Serperior's movepool is so bad, I could have added a better move.

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by We'reBlastinOffAgain View Post

Furret@ Shell Bell

-Solar Beam
    -Ice Beam
    -Shadow Ball
    -Iron Tail

Ah. ferret is very under-rated. Most people classify it as "a typical early rodent" but I can say that it is extremely effective,.
    Ya, I really like Furrets. Mine is super strong and one of the most reliable pokemon on my team.
    HeartGold FC- 3697 3834 7354
    Platinum FC- 3826 2943 9809
    Black FC- 2623 7586 3462

Don't mess with L!

Crazy Automaton Lady Silverwynde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Golurk@Amulet Coin
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Iron Fist

-Shadow Punch
    -Fly
    -Hammer Arm
    -Earthquake

Say hello to Riser, my level 100 Golurk. This big fella is my heavy hitter, no pun intended. He's the cornerstone of my team and took out Ghetsis for me. If he can't nail the opponent with Hammer Arm, he can lay them out with Shadow Punch or Earthquake. Fly makes him extremely effective against most Fighting types; if it weren't for that move, it would have taken me a lot longer to EV train him. Big guy may be slow, but he's been really effective. He's coming with me to Gray, any remakes and any other future Gens. I owe it to him for all he's done for me. (Got nothing but crazy love for this guy...)

I ♥ my female Bisharp.
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.

Luxray@Leftovers
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Intimidate

-Thunder Wave
    -Ice Fang
    -Thunderbolt
    -Superpower

This is Volta, my Luxray from my first playthrough of Soulsilver. He's neither the fastest, hardest hitting, or bulkiest member of the team, but he is by far the most dependable. He's also my baby :P
    He destroyed the Kanto Gyms nearly single handed (underleveled natch), and the Johto frontier brains. He's also the only member of any of my teams to get to 170 wins in the battle hall for the Gold Print.
    The moveset is simplicity itself , Thunder Wave kills the enemy's speed advantage and nets you some free turns. Thunderbolt hits most things neutrally while Ice Fang and Superpower nail most Electric resistors or opponents with high special defence. He's got a pretty bulky EV spread, so Leftovers help out there too.
    Yeah, I love this damn cat too much...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neodark View Post
    My Pokemon usually have good movesets in game. Here's one of them.

Serperior (Smuglord) (Naive) (Item: I generally switch it around, but often Amulet Coin)

-Leech Seed
    -Coil
    -Leaf Blade
    -Aerial Ace

Coil is for him to gain Attack and Defense boosts. Sadly, the accuracy boost is wasted due to the already great accuracy of his moves, but oh well. Leech Seed is to stall stuff. Leaf Blade is his main attack move, while Aerial Ace is mainly there to hit Grass and Bug types. Shame Serperior's movepool is so bad, I could have added a better move.
    Thats the exact moveset I use too!! Yeah his coverage is a big problem.

Blog Entries

I also used a very similar Serperior as Neodark, except with Return over Aerial Ace :)

I personally loved using...

Simisage @ (No item)

~ Seed Bomb
    ~ Acrobatics
    ~ Rock Slide
    ~ Shadow Claw

Fantastic coverage all around, deals with most of Simisage's weakness'. You could replace Shadow Claw with Crunch if you have patience to train Pansage up to 40ties. I didn't :D Generally speaking, I noticed that Acrobatics makes things that get it, like, 100% better. Archeops, Emolga, the monkeys - you name it, you have it.

This one was also pretty good:

Emboar @ Charcoal

~ Flame Charge
    ~ Brick Break
    ~ Rock Slide
    ~ Heat Crash / Flamethrower

What a beast. Flame Charge is vital for the enitre Tepig line, never get rid of it. Heat Crash OHKOes most things, but Flamethrower is good for consistency and/or if you have a Sp. Atk boosting nature.
    Last edited by rubinek; 6th February 2012 at 03:57 PM.
    White FC: 1678-3054-7710
    Black 2 FC: 3053 3827 7149

Black 2

Blog Entries

Infernape @ Leftovers

- Close Combat
    - Grass Knot
    - Fire Blast
    - Mach Punch

Only a few in-game Pokemon are a threat to it. Only real enemy are PP's.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

from soulsilver:

Typhlosion:
    item: choice specs
    nature: modest

hyper beam
    focus blast
    flamethrower
    eruption
    - at full health eruption with choice specs can rip into anything with a not so great special defence. It is really fast and it is my lead. When it comes into battle with not so much health flamethrower makes a reliable alternative. For coverage I have hyper beam which I rarely use and a more used focus blast.

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kingdra @ Dragon Fang
    -Ice Beam
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    Ability: Sniper

Since rain is not needed in-game, Sniper generally worked better for me.

Of course with my competitive mind now, most sets I've used in the past look terrible to me.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Crobat
    duable team
    confuse ray
    toxic
    poision fang

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POKEMON MASTER JACOB View Post
    Crobat
    duable team
    confuse ray
    toxic
    poision fang
    I remember encountering something like this in the battle frontier. And was it ANNOYING!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast