Fairy Types: OP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairy Types: OP

Post Fairy Types: OP

This is my opinion. Feel free to disagree with me, but please do so respectfully. Thanks.

I think fairy types are OP (overpowered). I know that some people may love fairy types and some people may hate fairy types. I don't love nor hate fairy types, I simply think that they're OP. I don't use fairy types on my team, but I have used a fairy type move for a while when my Ralts was young and it was a good move. But when it comes to battling fairy types, that's when things start to go downhill.

I understand that dragon types were OP in the first five generations. I love dragon type Pokemon, and would always use one in my team. They are kind of OP. I went against the dragon type Elite Four member in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (forgot what the guy's name was) and I literally one shot his entire team with a mega evolved Latias' Dragon Pulse. Plus, dragon types have high defense against the elemental types (fire, water, grass) and only have two weaknesses (ice and dragon). So I can see why fairy types were needed. FAIRy enough (haha... ha... ok sorry)

My reason why fairy types are OP is most likely biased, so it's not the best reason. But honestly, fairy types ruined my Pokemon experience. First of all, it was a new type, and I didn't play Pokemon X or Y, so when I got Pokemon Alpha Sapphire I was inexperienced with all these pretty pink Pokemon. It also threw me off that some older Pokemon had fairy type as a primary or secondary type. My personal reason why fairy types are OP is mainly because they make dragon types useless and they only have two weaknesses: poison and steel. There aren't that many powerful poison or steel type moves. I don't use poison type Pokemon at all, and I only use steel Pokemon for the defense, not for the offense.

But like all things, there are cons for fairy types. Bulbapedia says in its article about Fairy types:

"Despite having numerous advantages, the Fairy type is a balanced one due to the lack of particularly powerful Fairy-type moves, being somewhat weak statistically and having a disadvantageous match-up against the Poison and Steel-type, two of the best defensive types in the series. Also, since Fairy types typically have high Special Attack and Special Defense, but relatively low Defense and Speed stats, they have advantageous match-ups against most special attackers, but poor ones against physical attackers, overall."
    So I'm not angry that fairy types were created because at least they're still a somewhat balanced type.

Overall, though, I'm not very happy with fairy types. Every time my Gallade gets Dazzling Gleamed I scream.

On the bright side, they're pretty.

Sorry if this entire post made no sense at all. I'm usually not very good with words. Both in real life and on the Internet.

Default Re: Fairy Types: OP

Only issue have with Fairy is that it resists Bug. Did Bug really needed another type resisting it? The answer is no. Remove the Bug resistance and give it another weakness and all will be golden.

The lack of good fairy type moves will most likely be rectified in gen 7. And no, Dragon type is still one of the best types in the game and it's far, far from useless, still only has 3 weaknesses and only one type resists and another is immune to it, so that's 15 types being hit for neutral damage and one being hit for super effective damage which is itself. Also the dragon type pokemon have moves with high power (Outrage and Draco Meteor) and they have high base stats (with some very few exceptions).
    Last edited by Norzan; 25th July 2015 at 09:55 PM.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

3DS 4682-9334-0694

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
    Only issue have with Fairy is that it resists Bug. Did Bug really needed another type resisting it? The answer is no. Remove the Bug resistance and give it another weakness and all will be golden.
    You lost me right here.

The whole point of making Fairy weak to Poison and Steel is to give those types an offensive niche, adding another would reduce the incentive to use them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    You lost me right here.

The whole point of making Fairy weak to Poison and Steel is to give those types an offensive niche, adding another would reduce the incentive to use them in the first place.
    Give it a weakness to another crappy offensive typing like Bug, Psychic or Grass. I feel two weaknesses is a little low (except for Normal because it hits nothing for SE damage and three weaknesses would be too much).

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

3DS 4682-9334-0694

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I feel two weaknesses is a little low (except for Normal because it hits nothing for SE damage and three weaknesses would be too much).
    Fairy is far from the only type with two weaknesses (Water, Electric, Poison, and Ghost would also need more weaknesses by that logic), and they can get by with two weaknesses as long as those two types are useful enough. I think it'd be better to balance Fairy with stronger Poison and Steel type moves and Pokemon as opposed to adding another weakness.

And no, Dragon type is still one of the best types in the game and it's far, far from useless, still only has 3 weaknesses and only one type resists and another is immune to it, so that's 15 types being hit for neutral damage and one being hit for super effective damage which is itself. Also the dragon type pokemon have moves with high power (Outrage and Draco Meteor) and they have high base stats (with some very few exceptions).
    That is a valid point. I guess not all hope is lost yet for Dragon types.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I think it'd be better to balance Fairy with stronger Poison and Steel type moves and Pokemon as opposed to adding another weakness.
    I agree. Balance between the offense and the defense is the key, in my opinion.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Well, it doesn't fit the Fairy theme. Fairies are all about nature, and the closest types to that are Grass and Bug, so it makes sense that nature (AKA Bug and Grass) would never harm a fairy. In fact, I'm kind of shocked that fairies aren't super-effective against grass or that grass isn't resisted by fairy. Either one would fit.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    There aren't that many powerful poison or steel type moves.
    Gunk Shot, Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Belch, Metal Burst, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Meteor Mash, and Flash Cannon would disagree with you. They're all roughly equivalent in power to many of the most commonly used moves of other types.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude
    3DS: 3050 7720 3499 -- 3DS #2: 2036 8216 4990

Fairy types aren't over powered but I have an issue with it being super effective on Dragons. It doesn't make sense to me and the only decent fairy pokemon is Xerneas and Arceus with pixie plate. In my opinion, Fairy should never have been stronger than Dragons and I'll make sure my dragons have moves to counter them.
    ORAS is the current games that was brought.

Feel free to look at my funny signature:

Currently avoiding the giant chicken so I won't destroy half the city when fighting the chicken!

Oh no, oh no, oh no! Oh Yeah! Okay, can everyone please stop saying oh no in the court room cause the Kool Aid man keeps coming in!

Oh that dog of mine!

Oh haven't you heard? Bird is the word!

Blog Entries

My problem with Fairy is that it combines the best of both worlds in that it's super good offensively and super good defensively. There's no real weakness to it in that sense. You have types like Steel (good defensively, not that good offensively), Ice (good offensively, not good defensively), Fire (good offensively, not that bad defensively - has a lot of resists but really common weaknesses) while Fairy just has it made easy with both.

I don't think it's overpowered necessarily, but I think it could use another weakness to balance it out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    the only decent fairy pokemon is Xerneas and Arceus with pixie plate.
    Mega Mawile is a beast. You take that back >:(

I think that they are ok, look at the stats for types in bulbapedia: Fairy (type) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Fairies have weaker stat(Statistical averages) than most dragons and other types of pokemon, and steel and poison got a great buff.

Other types also get something when united with fairy in dualtyping, in good and bad way.
    Last edited by Matleo; 26th July 2015 at 07:18 AM.

Pokemon Professor Lunacy Fringe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Lunacy Fringe On Twitter

The only reason people claim Fairy types to be OP is because they FINALLY balanced out Dragon types. Remember Dragons in Gen 1? They wrecked EVERYTHING. How about the hate for Dark and Steel types when they first came out in Gen 2? No matter what Gamefreak does to try and add something new to the franchise, people bitch and moan because they don't like change.

Fairies are weak to steel and poison because they fit so well within the lore of magical creatures. You know who has access to Steel types? Bisharp. Ferrothorn. Mawile. Metagross. Aegislash. Klefki. Scizor. Lucario. Heatran. Excadrill.

And Poison? Nidoking. Nidoqueen. Crobat. Venusaur. Gengar. Roserade. Scolipede. Amoongus.

These pokemon all see their fair share of competitive play, and at least one can be found on most teams, or have been used on a prominent VGC team. Not to mention the attention these types get from Smogon.

The point is, there is nothing at all overpowered about fairy types. They took an otherwise stale metagame and added something new to shake it up, and in doing so made a heap of previously non-competitive pokemon viable for use in tournament play.
    Passively defying Smogon Tiers
    Certified Pokemon Professor

I don't see how they're 'OP' at all. Complaining that Fairy types are OP but not saying the same about dragons is foolish.

Fairy types alone are hardly OP. It's only the immunity to Dragon type moves that makes them stand out so much. I think the fact that a a single immunity is being called 'OP' says a lot about the way the metagame was before the Fairy type was introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

Garchomp takeover! LordGarcholf's Avatar

First it looked like adding Fairy-type made things more messy but practically they're not as bad as they seem by-the-book, how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    In my opinion, Fairy should never have been stronger than Dragons and I'll make sure my dragons have moves to counter them.
    Imho every type needs strong Pokemon to keep things interesting and it's also about how you use your Pokemon, but you have a point there - many Dragons (if not all?) can learn something to counter fairies! Fairies are slow and they're specially offensive and defensive, Dragons are fast, physically offensive and some even physically defensive - an Iron Head or Poison Jab can finish off a fairy usually. They're far from invincible but sure they can be frustrating.

Also, I think fairy type is a good addition (even as I like dragons more than fairies generally!) as you can't have perfect coverage for every possible team anymore and you'll have to do team-planning more than just having a dragon or two in your team! However fairies can learn moves to counter their common threats, which can be a problem but also an improvement to the past.
    The sad fact is, every game which is constantly developed and people play against one another on the internet, there will always be inbalances and (people preferring certain things affects it too) - it's not only a mmorpg thing anymore - and even when one problem is fixed, another appears, maybe two, then they'll need to be fixed and eventually there's always another. Would we rather be stuck with the system that doesn't develop or develop our techniques with the changes? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Norzan
    Only issue have with Fairy is that it resists Bug. Did Bug really needed another type resisting it? The answer is no. Remove the Bug resistance
    I agree. Bug type itself is a fragile one, offensively poor as you said and many Bug Pokemon are like mosquitos; slap and fainted unless they have a secondary type which wouldn't be Flying. So yeah, Fairies wouldn't have needed that Bug-resistance; only Gardevoir and Mr Mime would have an additional threat if they didn't resist bugs.
    Last edited by LordGarcholf; 26th July 2015 at 08:46 AM.
    "There are currently 666 users online."

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

I don't think fairy affected itself to be overpowered, it just affected everything else making them worse. As mentioned above, bug should have been shafted in its matchup against fairy. If anything, bug should have resisted fairy and done normal damage to fairy. I also think ice should have resisted fairy, but I guess they have no love for ice and bug types at all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast