The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart - Page 206

View Poll Results: Is the Fairy-type OP?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 28.00%
  • No

36 72.00%
Page 206 of 260 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3894
Like Tree2131Likes

Thread: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Default Re: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Quote Originally Posted by WindBlast View Post

Well, a bit of both.

I do agree that my choice of words was a bit lack ( referring to the variety of fire bit), but ice and fire do share a theme: heat. So I'm saying, since they related fairies with heat (fire) I think that they should also link it to ice. Also, thematically, ice should be superior to fairies, if we consider that the pokemon version of fairies is that of love and peace...etc then it would make sense for ice ( cold habitat, absence of emotions...etc) to be superior to fairies, who thrive in sunlit forests..etc. Or I'm just over-analyzing everything just because my favorite type is ice lol

@ Tensho: So in this case dragon is the counterpart of faires and not evil? then why sis not they make Yveltal a dragon?
    On a side note, where do we find those entries of the types? would love to read the ice and flying entries.
    Fire could be resistant to them because they're natural beings and fire causes destruction to nature while ice, while cold, doesn't cause destruction in that same sense. Rather, you could say nature just becomes dormant.

If the entire theme is Good vs. Evil for Fairies and Dragons then Dark types could fit in for Dragons in the same way I'd assume. They are called the "Evil" type in Japan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarftail View Post
    I'm pretty sure Fire's resistance to Fairy does make sense and that we simply can't figure out the reason why. I don't think Fire is the type that needs more resistances (it already has five), so you can't really say Game Freak did it solely for balance purposes. I would appreciate it if someone knew enough mythology to tell me why this type matchup exists.
    Actually, fire's weaknesses are all really common in the metagame as attacking types (or so I've heard), so the fairy resistance might be needed after all. If nothing else it helps make up for Stealth Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I know tons of mythology, including a lot about European fairies, and can safely say that there's nothing in particular saying that fire is a weakness of Fairies. Or that fire will protect you from fairies. In fact, a lot of mythology links fire and fairies such as will-o-wisps and Jack O'Lantern.
    Actually, that association might explain it, if we assume it's like types resisting themselves. Though if that was the case you'd think fairy would resist fire, which it apparently doesn't.

The only mythology I could find referencing Fairies and Fire is Changelings. If you expose a changeling to Fire that destroys its glamour and reveals its true form, but it doesn't hurt them. I guess that could be the reasoning. Glamour is fairy magic, and changeling myth says Fire destroys it.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, a bit of both.

I do agree that my choice of words was a bit lack ( referring to the variety of fire bit), but ice and fire do share a theme: heat. So I'm saying, since they related fairies with heat (fire) I think that they should also link it to ice. Also, thematically, ice should be superior to fairies, if we consider that the pokemon version of fairies is that of love and peace...etc then it would make sense for ice ( cold habitat, absence of emotions...etc) to be superior to fairies, who thrive in sunlit forests..etc. Or I'm just over-analyzing everything just because my favorite type is ice lol

@ Tensho: So in this case dragon is the counterpart of faires and not evil? then why sis not they make Yveltal a dragon?
    On a side note, where do we find those entries of the types? would love to read the ice and flying entries.
    I think I get it. And from what I understand, if I am, then it would make sense for Ice to be SE against Fairy, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zweilous View Post

Well, a bit of both.

Fire could be resistant to them because they're natural beings and fire causes destruction to nature while ice, while cold, doesn't cause destruction in that same sense. Rather, you could say nature just becomes dormant.

If the entire theme is Good vs. Evil for Fairies and Dragons then Dark types could fit in for Dragons in the same way I'd assume. They are called the "Evil" type in Japan.
    But cold weather also destroys nature, granted not in the same way fire does, but it sure does. Besides, if we look at the ice type means metaphorically, absence of emotions and of passion ( the best example here being Kyurem) than it would make sense for ice to resist fairies, who are all about love and help..etc

That's what I'm saying! IMO, the counterpart of fairies is evil and not dragons. Dragons are brutal yeah, but they are not evil. Fairy is all about help and love while evil is all about trickery and mischief. Thats why I think and I hope that evil will be SE against fairy and vice versa to symbolize how it is a closed circle when it comes to good vs. evil as they always co-exist and nothing beats the other and vice versa.
    Proud claimer of the Snow Dragon Kyurem. 24/01/2014

But cold weather also destroys nature, granted not in the same way fire does, but it sure does. Besides, if we look at the ice type means metaphorically, absence of emotions and of passion ( the best example here being Kyurem) than it would make sense for ice to resist fairies, who are all about love and help..etc

That's what I'm saying! IMO, the counterpart of fairies is evil and not dragons. Dragons are brutal yeah, but they are not evil. Fairy is all about help and love while evil is all about trickery and mischief. Thats why I think and I hope that evil will be SE against fairy and vice versa to symbolize how it is a closed circle when it comes to good vs. evil as they always co-exist and nothing beats the other and vice versa.
    Fire is much more destructive to nature then ice can be, also it can mold the landscrape and transport nutrients to different areas if we include glaciers. Granted it can be two-faced but the second face is more positive whereas Fire is almost always destructive. As for the emotions things that doesn't seem to be a common characteristic of the type so I wouldn't put much stock in that reason. Also, it could be because Fire breaks Glamours like Zeta said.

Remember that "Good always triumphs over Evil," especially in Fairy tales. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dark is weak to Fairy if they're playing them off as these peaceful creatures who represent good because of that (personally, I'd prefer they'd be tricksters like in the original mythologies but c'est la vie...).

Blog Entries

I was wondering if the TCG's symbol should be taken into consideration. It's like a star and (fairy) wings or something like that.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

They just says that Dragon tend to represent demonic forces (Satan as the evil red dragon in the book of revelation) while Fairy = Angels blah, blah, blah. Ice SE against flying is kind of obvious, right? Imagine you are flying then someone yell "Freeze!", what's gonna happen, you are gonna drop like a smashed fly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarftail View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    At least Mawile won't be x4 weak to Fire....its just too bad MegaMawile is still slow and will take x2 damage from both fire and ground type moves that dragons love to carry due to its Steel type.
    I'm pretty sure Game Freak wouldn't give it higher defenses, Huge Power, or the Fairy-type if it was still meant to suck against most of these dragons. Since they're not STAB, aside from Flygon and Garchomp, I don't see it being one-hit KO'd very often. Let's just hope both of its base defenses go above 100 to make up for its HP most likely remaining the same. Its Special Defense is worrying me.
    They're going to need a massive increase given that it only has 50 base HP. I understand not touching the HP stat in a form change, but they're calling this an evolution. They should have doubled HP as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    The only mythology I could find referencing Fairies and Fire is Changelings. If you expose a changeling to Fire that destroys its glamour and reveals its true form, but it doesn't hurt them. I guess that could be the reasoning. Glamour is fairy magic, and changeling myth says Fire destroys it.
    That's very specific, tough...
    In many myths, Faeries are said to only (or that they prefer to) appear at night. That could be a reasoning, I guess, if we associate fire - sun. Faeries -in general- are definetely not afraid or weakened by campfires, bonfires or any kind of fires, however. Plus the night thing is not really universal so idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    I was wondering if the TCG's symbol should be taken into consideration. It's like a star and (fairy) wings or something like that.
    It's a me! D:
    Could we get any information about this symbol, tough? Well, it could support a relationship with the night, I guess.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic68523_1.gif
    3DS Friend Code: 4699-6436-4610

Blog Entries

Sure. Here it is.

Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Follow pastabender on Tumblr

Fire resisting Fairy makes sense in my head - I always thought it'd be the case. Fairy is entrenched in my mind with kind of sprite/nymph ideals, which, in my head, have connotations to trees etc. so their magical tree/spirit powers are resisted. uh
    Scarftail likes this.

Blog Entries

Now all we need is a dragon wearing fiery armor with steel claws and we'll have a fairy-killing dragon.
    Scarftail likes this.

The symbol for fairy is really cool. Depending on how you look at it, it can look like eyes with a star mark on the forehead, a star with wings, or a rose.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

The Fairy symbol looks more like a bikini to me
    Karamazov likes this.