The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart - Page 149

View Poll Results: Is the Fairy-type OP?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 23.08%
  • No

30 76.92%
Page 149 of 259 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 3876
Like Tree2108Likes

Thread: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Default Re: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    I have no idea how any of those abilities are related to Psychic powers.
    Future sight and seeing the future are usually things related to psychic powers. Also Jirachi being able to defend itself means that it has strong mental powers, another attribute of being psychic.

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieStar View Post
    Celebi: Time is said to work different in the Faerie Realm in some myths. Like when you enter the Faerie Realm, spend 10 minutes there and return centuries later to the Earth. Time hop.
    True, but by the way everything is written it makes it sound like Celebi can actually time travel instead of just leaving this plain of existance, going to the fairy realm, and then coming back (See Spiky-eared Pichu and it's time as, for lack of a better comparison, Celebi's companion.). So even if it is based on a wood nymph or a fairy...it still gives off the psychic feel because it can still open up wormholes whenever it wants and move forward and backwards in time.

Jirachi: Being able to defend itself during hibernation could also be easily explained as a magical ability.
    A lot of psychic pokemon have the ability to engage in mental battles. Not to mention also have magical abilities. Even dark and ghost have magical abilities to some extent. So basing a retcon based on magical ability is kind of pushing it.

Victini: Actually, faeries, nymphs and elves have been depicted as servants of the gods and even as deities themselves. Also, some pagan deities were "transformed" into faeries when Christianity arrived in Europe. I can see a goddess fitting as a magical creature better than as a psychic being, anyway.
    If I recall correctly, Greek and Roman gods weren't though or at least not as often? Granted it's been a while since I looked up the comparisons between deities...so I might not be the best person to comment on this part. Either way...by that line of thinking the Kami trio should also be reclassified as faries since they're based off Shinto gods. But nothing about them is actually fae-like other then the assumption they're based off genies. Other than Landorus, they seem to favor their kami counterparts more so then genies.

Not to mention Victini really doesn't favor fae at all besides being overly cute and created to appeal to girls like the stereotypical fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Charm View Post

True, but by the way everything is written it makes it sound like Celebi can actually time travel instead of just leaving this plain of existance, going to the fairy realm, and then coming back (See Spiky-eared Pichu and it's time as, for lack of a better comparison, Celebi's companion.). So even if it is based on a wood nymph or a fairy...it still gives off the psychic feel because it can still open up wormholes whenever it wants and move forward and backwards in time.
    Well, I do not relate time travel to psychic powers as much as I relate it to magic or time machines. Just a different point of view.

A lot of psychic pokemon have the ability to engage in mental battles. Not to mention also have magical abilities. Even dark and ghost have magical abilities to some extent. So basing a retcon based on magical ability is kind of pushing it.
    Psychic and mental battles are related, of course. Wish granting sound more faerie-like to me though. I would actually leave Jirachi as psy/steel, though.
    Not a lot of psychic pokémon are said to have magical abilities in their pokédex entries, other than ilusions or mind control. Ghost pokémon have abilities related to the underworld, not real magic. Dark pokémon are not magic, just evil.

If I recall correctly, Greek and Roman gods weren't though or at least not as often? Granted it's been a while since I looked up the comparisons between deities...so I might not be the best person to comment on this part. Either way...by that line of thinking the Kami trio should also be reclassified as faries since they're based off Shinto gods. But nothing about them is actually fae-like other then the assumption they're based off genies. Other than Landorus, they seem to favor their kami counterparts more so then genies.

Not to mention Victini really doesn't favor fae at all besides being overly cute and created to appeal to girls like the stereotypical fairy.
    I don't see Victini as a faerie either, and I wouldn't change it. I just say that the closest type we have to represent divinity is the Faerie type, because faeries are deities in some myths. Even in Greek mythology, nymphs, while not gods, are regarded as divine creatures, and some of them are children of some gods.
    I wouldn't change the Kami trio either. Their theme is "flying gods", so they must be flying, and they specialize in thunder, wind and earth, so they can't lose that type either.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic68523_1.gif
    3DS Friend Code: 4699-6436-4610

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

I don't think they try to associate the concept of time with any specific type...

I mean, Celebi time travels, and so you could say that comes from its psychic powers, but then how would you explain Dialga? Dialga IS time, an is it psychic? It is not. So I think Celebi COULF be retyped as fairy, an still embody time travel. But idk if I can see it happening or not. I wouldn't really care either way.
    FaerieStar and Reddigans like this.

Blog Entries

Normally, I could see illusions as screwing around with the mind. Perceiving things that are not there is a known mental affliction. Zorua and Zoroark, however, forever turned this idea on it's head, although for them, it is an ability, which are independent of the traits of the pokemon's type. This would still mean that illusions are not the sole property of Psychics in pokemon. It is something more, although it would perhaps cause problems if it were given a specific alignment.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Visit Frost's Youtube Channel

Just a point to people saying that they would change Clefable's type because the Japanese name is Pixie: going by that logic, they'd also pretty much be forced to change Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie, because their Japanese names contain "gnome" (Azelf), "sprite" and "pixie" as well. I'd love that but I still see far less support for that trio becoming Fairy than a bunch of other Pokemon, including other Legendaries even. >_>
    Guy_Spy likes this.
    Co-admin at PsyPoke.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

You know, I was thinking about the fairy type and the Pokemon that would gain a secondary type, and with the ones given to us so far, anyone else think we're gonna get a lot of out of nowhere ones besides Azumarill? For example, even though we have Gardevoir covering Psychic/Fairy, something tells me we're also gonna get Wobafett psychic/fairy. Call me crazy, but with Wynaut's Mirage Island origins, the typing fits. Not to mention that a lot of the fairy type Pokemon could turn up to be reliable wall Pokemon, as dragons can also learn moves that damage the main types as well, and the balance needed in that department would be in the HP/defense department.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries

I don't know if anyone else went back to the spacey thing Sylveon did in one the trailers, but I've certainly been pondering it. I wonder if it means anything for the Fairy type.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

I will rage if GF doesn't retype the Clefairy line. Their species is fairy, and they come from the moon, which seems to be a sorta thing for fairy types atm (Sylveon vs Hyrdreigon, Moonblast)
    Cabecote and Guy_Spy like this.

Visit LimitCrown's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadButterfree View Post
    I don't think they try to associate the concept of time with any specific type...

I mean, Celebi time travels, and so you could say that comes from its psychic powers, but then how would you explain Dialga? Dialga IS time, an is it psychic? It is not. So I think Celebi COULF be retyped as fairy, an still embody time travel. But idk if I can see it happening or not. I wouldn't really care either way.
    That's the point. Dialga is the personification of time, and therefore doesn't need Psychic powers to travel through time. You could make an argument about why Palkia is a Water-type. It's just used to represent space.

Blog Entries

Since the moon seems to be a big part of the Fairy type, does that mean moves like Lunar Dance, Moonlight, Cosmic Power and possibly Meteor Mash will become Fairy type?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Since the moon seems to be a big part of the Fairy type, does that mean moves like Lunar Dance, Moonlight, Cosmic Power and possibly Meteor Mash will become Fairy type?
    Possibly, except for Meteor Mash.

Quote Originally Posted by LimitCrown View Post
    A.k.a. "Comet Punch" in Japanese, except that our Comet Punch is something else entirely. Still, after seeing the description, the move should have been called something like Meteor Punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LimitCrown View Post
    A.k.a. "Comet Punch" in Japanese, except that our Comet Punch is something else entirely. Still, after seeing the description, the move should have been called something like Meteor Punch.
    It's a Steel-type for the same reason why Jirachi is a Steel-type.

Blog Entries

Really hoping for Ice, grass and flying to get better types interactions. the defenses of ice is ridiculous. Grass having 5 weaknesses is ridiculous. and the fact the both of flying's resistances against ground and fighting is nullified by those types learning rock is ridiculous.
    FaerieStar, Cabecote and Reddigans like this.
    Proud claimer of the Snow Dragon Kyurem. 24/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    While thinking about it, it seem s also possible that the Moon doesn't have anything to do with the Fairy type but with only Sylveon itself. It is the only Pokemon shown to know Moonblast until now so maybe it is its signature move and that makes sense because it is clearly inspired by Sailor Moon. The ribbons, the bows, the moon connection via the move and the artwork with Hydreigon.

Therefore I think this moon-theme is Sylveon-related and not Fairy-Type-related.
    Silktree, Synthesis and LimitCrown like this.