The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart - Page 13

View Poll Results: Is the Fairy-type OP?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 28.00%
  • No

36 72.00%
Page 13 of 260 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree2131Likes

Thread: The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Default Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

Aether ties into the concepts of Wuji, Void, the Sky, and Space - Outer Space. In eastern philosophies, Wuji meant something that was empty and infinite at the same time. It was also anthropomorphized in many Asian cultures into an entity called "Heaven" - which was a god, a substance, and a force of nature all at the same time. In extremely ancient Greece, Aether was the material that made up outer-space and was also what animals inhaled when breathing. Plato believed it was the "life" energy of the universe. It was also, hilariously believed that alchemists could formulate it by re-distilling alcohol seven times.
    Owain and ArginX like this.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't like Aether as a type, mainly because I want to see a type that's distributed among normal Pokemon I'd like to use, while Aether sounds...like something reserved for Legendaries. It'd be cool for an individual Pokemon to utilize it, but as a Type? No way. It's also a bit too complex for my tastes, I'd rather they make the type something easy for the kids to understand, not a vague concept with multiple philosophical interpretations.

And I don't see how it'd be a good counterpart for Dark-type Pokemon, since it's supposed to be the absent of dark or light, really, not to mention the Dark-type is moreso associated with the behavior as opposed to literally controlling darkness, bar a few exceptions like Spiritomb.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Shadow Minun View Post
    Excluding Dragon-type, there never have two different types that are super-effective against each other since Gen II. In Gen I, Bug and Poison-types are super-effective against each other, but in Gen II, this was changed to neutral. If they want to bring back this effect, why not for Water and Electric-types? I think both shall be super effective against each other. This is just my speculation.

For new-types, I'm not interested with that. What about "Love-type", "Fairy-type", or "Light-type" couldn't make any sense. Dark-type is Evil-type in Japanese version, and this was showcased by Darkrai.
    Darkrai isnt actually 'evil'. It just causes nightmares as a way to defend itself. There are no naturally evil pokemon.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    I don't like Aether as a type, mainly because I want to see a type that's distributed among normal Pokemon I'd like to use, while Aether sounds...like something reserved for Legendaries. It'd be cool for an individual Pokemon to utilize it, but as a Type? No way. It's also a bit too complex for my tastes, I'd rather they make the type something easy for the kids to understand, not a vague concept with multiple philosophical interpretations.

And I don't see how it'd be a good counterpart for Dark-type Pokemon, since it's supposed to be the absent of dark or light, really, not to mention the Dark-type is moreso associated with the behavior as opposed to literally controlling darkness, bar a few exceptions like Spiritomb.
    I agree with you on that, if aether was Legendary-only (and Sylveon maybe), it would be a huuuge waste of a whole type IMO, I like the general idea, but only if it spread out to more ''common'' pokémon, how about an Aether-Type champion this time around? ;D
    The_Doctor likes this.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Okay I know dark isn't really evil, its dirty fighting and its true opposite is fighting which is proper fighting, but what I'm getting at is that for now it can be a counterpart to Aether when it comes to the legendaries, to create a theme. If not, then fairy is still a good candidate, I'm not saying it isn't. Fairy however would be less attack based and more support, and I would honestly like a new type that had a focus on attacks.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Poison should pollute water, grass and flying types. And maybe be resisted by fire?

yes Poison can pollute water, but water can also dilute Poison. I think the neutral matchup should stay. It fits. I could see the effectiveness against Fighting though.
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.

In real life, water-dwelling animals are extremely vulnerable to poison in their environment - far more than land-dwelling animals.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

rock should not be weak aganist ground or being rock/ground should neutralise the ground weakness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    rock should not be weak aganist ground or being rock/ground should neutralise the ground weakness.
    So... make ground resist itself, maybe?

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Solacen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Shadow Minun View Post
    Excluding Dragon-type, there never have two different types that are super-effective against each other since Gen II. In Gen I, Bug and Poison-types are super-effective against each other, but in Gen II, this was changed to neutral. If they want to bring back this effect, why not for Water and Electric-types? I think both shall be super effective against each other. This is just my speculation.

For new-types, I'm not interested with that. What about "Love-type", "Fairy-type", or "Light-type" couldn't make any sense. Dark-type is Evil-type in Japanese version, and this was showcased by Darkrai.
    Darkrai isnt actually 'evil'. It just causes nightmares as a way to defend itself. There are no naturally evil pokemon.
    Spiritomb. Pretty much sealed evil. Even the usually idealistic "all Pokemon are good!" Anime didn't even give it any positive points.
    Owain and ArginX like this.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

YES. exactly^

makes no sense a onix, golem ect would be weak to its own type

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    YES. exactly^

makes no sense a onix, golem ect would be weak to its own type
    There are plenty of Pokemon that're weak to their own type. Why those ones specifically?

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

If anything needs to be fixed, its ghost being super against ghosts. I can understand the phobia of ghosts being a weakness of psychic, but ghost strong against ghost never made sense to me. Is it the fact that they all belong in the same realm of existence that their attacks work against each other or something?
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    In real life, water-dwelling animals are extremely vulnerable to poison in their environment - far more than land-dwelling animals.
    They're also extremely vulnerable to temperature changes from global warming, undersea volcanoes, ETC; does that mean Water should be weak to Fire and Ice...?

The type chart has always had issues with logical application, IMO. (Flying>Fighting?) For instance, I've always thought that Bug should be weak to Poison, since you can still use bug spray on poisonous insects. If I remember right, Bug WAS weak to Poison in Gen 1, but it was retconned out in G/S.

I personally don't think that 'GF hasn't introduced a new Type since G/S' isn't a valid argument. In Gen3 all Pokemon suddenly had special abilities like Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and nobody wet themselves over that... Well, maybe they did, I don't really know. Anyway, lack of precedence is no indicator that something new won't be introduced.
    Last edited by Stratago; 20th February 2013 at 05:35 PM.
    The_Doctor likes this.

Smogon: 'Nuff said.