Eevee and Eeveelutions - Overrated? Overpowered? Overestimated? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Eevee and Eeveelutions - Overrated? Overpowered? Overestimated?

Default Re: Eevee and Eeveelutions - Overrated? Overpowered? Overestimated?

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Composer View Post
    Choice specs Jolteon with HP Grass OHKO-es most of the ground types I've battled. Jolteon is,in my opinion,the best Eeveelution battle-wise probably tied only with Vapoeron.
    I think Espeon trumps them both because of its Dream World ability.
    While magic bounce is great,it forces Espeon to run a defensively oriented dual-screen set,which doesn't utilize it's great sp.atk and has to make use of it's low def. and hp. Vaporeon,on the other hand,can easily wall most stuff even though it has same def.,but it's hp is huge,it can hit hard on rain teams,be a Wish passer,switch in with Water absoreb etc. Jolteon can also switch-in for free Volt-absorb healing,outspeeds Starmie and ties with Aerodactyl and it has STAB advantage over both of them. Also,if played carefully,it can Volt Switch around and fits perfectly on any team with a rain support,flying-type/s or a levitate users. The only thing it lacks is a more diverse movepool which Vaporeon has.

Blog Entries

The Eeveelutions were a mixed bag at times. Glaceon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, and Espeon were the stars of the family tree, while Umbreon, Jolteon, and especially Flareon could be outright the pits. It just depends on how you look at them (no, I don't mean appearance). They all had some form of strength, but Glaceon and Leafeon were the stars of the show.

Leafeon had high Attack and Defense, as well as great Speed, making it a good physical sweeper (and giving Grass-types a bit more backbone). All you really need with Leafeon was Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Aerial Ace, and Dig and it could be a beast. I raised on in my spare Platinum, just to try it. I was not disappointed, and I'm not fond of Grass-types. Likewise, Glaceon (although a pain to evolve at that far point in the region) was best in Defense, Speed, and monstrous Special Attack. All it needed was Ice Beam, Water Pulse, Shadow Ball and Barrier and it could either sweep away its opponents, or stand strong against them.

I've used all of them over the course of the generations. At first, Vaporeon was my top Eevee form, giving me access to a quick and easy-to-raise Water-type. It still is high on my charts. The ones that were not so good were Jolteon, Umbreon, and Flareon. There were better Electric-types out there, so Jolty lost some luster, Umbreon is a good wall, but that's about its only strong point, while Flareon has the worse moves for its stats; more Special moves over Physical. The most "powerful" move Flareon could use with its proper Attack AND STAB is Fire Fang, the rest are all Special based. Espeon is, you can say, the middle-of-the-road; it has wicked moves and great Special Attack and Speed, but like most Psychic-types, it could fall pretty quickly to a Crunch or two.

Really, overall, the Eeveelutions can be categorized very easily: Awesome, Lacking, and Mid-ranged. Awesome would include: Glaceon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, in that order. Lacking would have: Umbreon, Jolteon, Flareon, in that order. And lastly, Mid-ranged is easy to figure out: Espeon. It's a mixed bag, depending on your choice and needs. The best thing about them is the fact you can decide what Eeveelution you want, whenever you want. You've got (currently) seven options. Whichever one fits your play style is the one you can decide you want to use. Sometimes, it's not about type advantage/disadvantage, but maximizing the strengths of the Eeveelution you picked. To put it simply, they are specialized players, fitting a particular niche, and doing that very well. It may mean they are lacking in various fields, but if you want a certain one for a particular situation, then there's a pretty good chance one of the Eeveelution can fit that bill. Just remember it that way: they are designed for a certain purpose in mind (i.e. Espeon: special sweeper, Umbreon: wall, Glaceon: special hitter/defender, etc).

In one sense, they can be overhyped, but most of that hype comes from Eevee's ability to pick the form most needed for a situation, and just stick with that. So, no the Eeveelutions are not totally overrated or overestimated, but some do pull out ahead over others. Basically, you just have to pick the one that best suits what you need it for. For me, for example, Glaceon and Leafeon can totally snuggle up in my party, since they've got what I look for in them. That's just how they roll, so you have to roll with them.
    Muggins likes this.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Maybe it's partly because I hate Ice-types in general that I didn't want to raise Glaceon in the first place. How I had been disappointed when my Rampardos barely had to lift a finger to sweep Candice and her rematch team... To be specific, they're weak to my fav types - Rock and Steel, so I don't find them particularly attractive when an Aggron would kill them easily.

And as I said, Jolteon was far less useful than a Raichu cuz the big mouse has a relatively large movepool and is also fast enough.

Umbreon got me disappointed when BW got rid of Dark Pulse - one of the better Dark Type moves. So no Umbreon in Gen5 for me. Flareon still sucks. I prefer Gardevoir over Espeon because of Trace. Leafeon...I guess we could still see it okay, but the more common grass type pokemons seem better to me. Whimsicott with Hurricane would pwn it, no?

The only useful Eeveelution to me is Vaporeon. I almost never chose Squirtle as my starter in FRLG because I knew I'd be getting a Vaporeon - not to mention it put up a good fight against Lorelei.

And as for cuteness... yes they are cute, but not overly cute for all the hype there. Also, there are plenty of other pokemons of the same monotype that are far better - so the eevees seem overrated to me.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaLover View Post
    Leafeon had high Attack and Defense, as well as great Speed, making it a good physical sweeper (and giving Grass-types a bit more backbone). All you really need with Leafeon was Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Aerial Ace, and Dig and it could be a beast. I raised on in my spare Platinum, just to try it. I was not disappointed, and I'm not fond of Grass-types. Likewise, Glaceon (although a pain to evolve at that far point in the region) was best in Defense, Speed, and monstrous Special Attack. All it needed was Ice Beam, Water Pulse, Shadow Ball and Barrier and it could either sweep away its opponents, or stand strong against them.
    It's too bad Dig can't be used in a serious battle, for one could easily switch out to a Pokemon who resists Ground such as a Flying type. And Glaceon? Its speed is awful, so it can't outspeed a Dragon type not named Druddigon, and its defenses are wasted as Ice is a terrible defensive type (being only weak to Ice itself). Water Pulse is not a very good move either due to its BP. Glaceon would've been better if it had a decent Water move and traded one of its defenses for more speed.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the Eeveelutions are very versatile for many needs if they can fit on a team. They also have really great designs.

I'm using a Vaporeon on my B2 team. It's the first time I've ever used an Eeveelution on a main team, and I really like it. That HP is MONSTER and she can be a great wall while hitting with Surf.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I think that Eevee is cute and having to variety of choices for what to evolve it really appeals to people. Admittedly, I haven't used a lot of the Eeveelutions myself. I raised an Espeon in SoulSilver and I thought it was quite good. A couple of Dark type moves usually do defeat it, but with good Special Attack and Speed stats, it was quite useful in battles for me. I raised an Umbreon in HeartGold and while it wasn't as useful as Espeon, it could be a good wall and be annoying to deal with. I raised a Flareon in one of my FireRed teams, but it wasn't that strong. I tried out a Jolteon in another FireRed team and I thought it was pretty decent. Not one of the better Electric types I've come across, but still pretty decent. I haven't raised Vaporeon, Leafeon or Glaceon yet. I was planning on training a Leafeon in White 2, but since I couldn't evolve it until the post storyline, I decided to go with a different Pokemon.

Add Chiss on Facebook

Eevee have a Pikachu status with me. They're cute and fun to train and collect, but useless.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

I found Jolteon very useful back in the game's early days, since Pin Missile made him one of the few pokemon, at the time, who could stand up to the then vastly overpowered Psychics (more so than poor Beedrill, whose being a dual poison type negated whatever use he could've been in that regard). I haven't felt compelled to raise one since Dark types came along, however.

The Eeveelutions' designs are undeniably quite cool (IF you like that sort of thing), so I guess I can understand their popularity. Personally, I prefer pokes who are quirky, have curious movepools or are cute by entirely unconventional means, so they don't figure too highly on my own favourites list.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Choice specs Jolteon with HP Grass OHKO-es most of the ground types I've battled. Jolteon is,in my opinion,the best Eeveelution battle-wise probably tied only with Vapoeron.
    I think Espeon trumps them both because of its Dream World ability.
    While magic bounce is great,it forces Espeon to run a defensively oriented dual-screen set,which doesn't utilize it's great sp.atk and has to make use of it's low def. and hp. Vaporeon,on the other hand,can easily wall most stuff even though it has same def.,but it's hp is huge,it can hit hard on rain teams,be a Wish passer,switch in with Water absoreb etc. Jolteon can also switch-in for free Volt-absorb healing,outspeeds Starmie and ties with Aerodactyl and it has STAB advantage over both of them. Also,if played carefully,it can Volt Switch around and fits perfectly on any team with a rain support,flying-type/s or a levitate users. The only thing it lacks is a more diverse movepool which Vaporeon has.
    Espeon need not always run a defensive set. Most Espeon are used in baton pass team and it can be almost broken in baton pass teams. After a boost stored power hurts a lot and it can baton pass out when something tyranitar comes in. It cannot be phazed which makes it harder to deal with. It is definitely a core part of most bp chain teams.

Vaporeon no longer works as well as in the past tbh, with ferrothorn, breloom running everywhere. Jolteon is okay and tbh, underpowered.

I donot think that the eveelutions are overpowered. All of them are handleable. None of them are over-hyped either except maybe Umbreon. Over-rated? maybe, but then are like collector's items. Everybody likes hoarding them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

In terms of OU play I'll take a look through them.

Leafeon: Outclassed.
    Glaceon:lol.
    Umbreon: average stats and average typing make it average and outclassed.
    Jolteon: other options in Raikou and Thunderus-T.
    Espeon: Good because of Stored Power and its ability. Baton Pass staple.
    Vaporeon: Can abuse hydration in rain but provides no extra type support to rain based teams.
    Flareon: joke.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I always like Eevee evolutions. I've actually made a team for them in the game. But since non of them could fly, dive, use strength or anything, they aren't much to look at.
    I don't know about the others, but Jolteon can learn Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavanny Duo View Post
    I'd say Glaceon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, and Flareon are the best for battle. Mainly so I can kick the "eon" out of Jolteon, Espeon, and Umbreon.
    D: Flareon?....... Flareon is pretty much useless in battle. Its huge Attack stat is a waste since it can't take advantage of it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________

I think that except for Flareon and Leafeon, all the Eevelutions deserve the rating they have. Vaporeon and Umbreon can be very annoying walls, and Jolteon, Espeon and Glaceon can deal huge amounts of damage.

Brazilian Jolteon Spark Eletran's Avatar
    Follow Spark Eletran On Twitter Add Spark Eletran on Facebook
    Visit Spark Eletran's Youtube Channel

You probably would NEEEEVER guess it, but I really do like Jolteon. c: They are always pretty useful for me, and mostly a beast against the trainers in game.

Can't say anything competitive-wise because I'm not really competitive, like, at all.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Overrated, very. Overpowered, not really. Overestimated, depends on the 'mon.

Some Eeveelutions are actually very useful, and all of them are adorable, but all in all it comes down to personal preference.

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Overrated? Really? (Not sarcastic really; surprised really)

Overrated in the sense of hype OR power is something I would not really say. I know not one single person, nor have I ever known since the first Pokemon game came out, who thinks Eevee and its evolutions are any good at all. Nobody I know uses any member of the Eevee family; they all believe that there are plenty of other Pokemon that get the job done much better and I normally pretty much agree with them. The only time I ever use Eeveelutions in in my re-plays where I have to use completely different Pokemon from what I used before; they're right there in between out of good Pokemon to use and top picks. But I never hear anybody praise the value of an Eevee on the team.

I like personally like Eevee for the novelty factor. It can be anything; it is useful only if there is a specific type you can't get until late in the game. Like in Gen II, Eevee was good for obtaining an Umbreon because you couldn't find any dark types until you beat the Pokemon League. And just for the hell of it I had an all-eeveelution team once. Just for the novelty factor. It wasn't the best; the single typing made them terribly inefficient with the limited number of slots on the team. But, strictly within the context of the game, they got the job done reasonably well. Wouldn't dream of using any of them out of the game, though.

Follow scarlettpeony on Tumblr

When I was younger I had an obsession with Eevee and to this day, if it is avaliable in-game, I will always pick one up for my team. As a Normal pokemon I have always found it a decent little thing because it is reasonably fast, bulky and if it has Adaptability, man, the STAB points are brilliant. My little Eevee in my current Pokemon Black 2 playthrough is brilliant. She literally is my one-foot-talk fluffy tank. Once she's leveled up a little more, I'll let her evolve into an Espeon.

To my mind the only Eeveelutions I have never used much are Flareon and Umbreon, but I still like them well enough. It's just there are better Fire-types in most games. Umbreon is a bulky thing, but it doesn't have much of a moveset. What it really needs is one mega-brilliant Dark move and it would be a brilliant Pokemon. But at the moment the best TMs it can learn are Ghost and Psychic type moves (The later it can learn when its still an Eevee), which means it misses out on any decent STAB points.

The other Eeveelutions, however, I love. Jolteon has always proven to be a great lead Pokemon for me because of its high special attack and speed. Moreover if you teach it Volt Switch (Which I did with the Eevee I had in Pokemon Black, which I traded over from another game as an egg), it can get out of battle nice and quick while making decent damage on the way out. It's probably one of my most frequently used Eeveelutions. Vaporeon is amazingly bulky, has decent move-pools being able to learn ice attacks as well as water, plus if you use Acid Armour a few times while using Toxic on the enemy Pokemon, it's a great tank/annoyer. My only qualms with it is that it's very slow and I have always preferred fast hitters. But every Pokemon team needs a tank and I have nother bad to say about Vaporeon on that mark. Leafeon isn't the best grass type but I used it in my Pokemon Platinum along with a Glaceon, and they were both awesome Pokemon. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Glaceon simply because it's not to slow and has nice all-round stats, which Leafeon lacks a little of. For a grass type, Leafeon's low special attack and special defense aren't all that great considering all the stuff it is weak to.

However, for me, the BAMF of all the Eeveelutions and the one I've used the most is Espeon. I really love that Pokemon because it is pretty fast, has good special attack and unlike Jolteon it isn't quite a fragile. I used it for the first time when I was ten and playing through Pokemon Silver, and I have loved it ever since.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast