Which DS version should i buy ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Which DS version should i buy ???

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    97

    Default Which DS version should i buy ???

    Sorry for being off-topic here but i couldnt find a subforum section for this question..

    I gave my Pokemon Platinum to my brother while i have heartgold and diamond. He doesnt have a ds and uses mine, and of course the problem arris's where we cant trade with eachother or battle ect.. Im going to buy him a DS but im not sure which one to get...

    See my problem is i have the original DS the grey big fat one and iv had it for 6 years now almost. It hasnt had a single issue and i like it, i was going to buy him a used DS lite in gamestop for $90 however i read ds lites have hinge problems.. where the hinges can break off.. However exactly do they break ? Gamestop said its because people "click" there ds screen twice all the way back causing alot of stress on it .. instead of clicking it once like your "suppose too" so he said.. However to me it seems like its because they are a diff kind of hinge and plastic then the original DS.. If that 2 click hinge problem was the issue wouldnt you hear about it on the original ds ?

    So this is keeping me away from the ds lite, what about new ones tho ? They are only $129 and the hinge thing seems mainly a 2006-2007 issue.. Altho iv seen some posts online in 2009 about it also.. So i was thinking then what about the DSi.. however since its only $20 cheaper then the dsi xl i should get the dsi xl... However the dsi xl seems to have the same hinges and cheap fealing plastic all the other ds's have.. This leads me back to the original ds.. which i can get used for $70..

    I told my mom yea im buying this DS for him... however if i get the XL i kinda want it for myself lol and ill just give him my DS.. but she might get mad even tho its my money lol. I dont think he cares about screen size and neighter do i really.. GAHH

    You see ? Im confused which one do you guys think i should buy ? Original used for $70 ? Used Lite $90 or a new one $130? Or a DSI for $169, or hell a XL for $190 lol..

    Im also strapped for cash sorta, i have $350 saved up and my moms needs some for bills, but i should get another $110 by the 1st so she said its ok..

    Sorry for off-topic no one needs to remind me as i notice some of you like to point out the obvious on this forums.. but i dont see a section to talk about DS'S

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,555
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Well, the 3DS could be out as early as October or November... possibly in the US, as well. That's something to take into account.

    The DS Lite, in my experience, is a solid device in terms of build. Not sure what your experience with the hinges have been, but I've owned a DS Lite since the day it came out, and it still functions perfectly. The Lite is also good if you want to be able to play Game Boy Advance games.

    The DSi has the main advantages of a slightly larger screen, and access to all the DSi Ware that you can buy from Nintendo's online store. By all accounts, there are some fun DSi Ware titles. It also has the cameras, but that's a pretty minor feature overall. I think there've been 2 or 3 DSi-exclusive cartridges released in the year and a half it's been out, but I don't think they're particularly great games. Because most people still have Originals or Lites, Nintendo doesn't want to miss out on the sales to them.

    The XL is basically a DSi, only bigger, with a significantly larger screen.

  3. #3
    Registered User Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Burlington, KY
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    I've had my DS Lite for about a year and a half, I haven't had any issues. I was going to get a DSi but it doesn't have a GBA Slot so that was a deal breaker. If you think your brother will want to the play the Gen 3 games, get a DS or a Lite, but if he doesn't care then I'd go for the DSiXL
    Diamond friend code; 0389 3902 8809

  4. #4
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,172
    Blog Entries
    227

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    If you want to play your GBA games, go for DS Lite. Otherwise, get DSi. DSi XL is a pointless waste of money.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Yea the thought about this 3DS comming out also made me think if i waste my money now i might regret it.. Cause personally my original DS is perfectly fine for me.. When the dslite and dsi came out i told myself eh who cares.. I dont need a camera, the thing feals to small compared my old one and my old one works fine.. The only good thing might be the brighter screen.

    Im sure my brother doesnt care which DS i get.. Be it original or new.. However I kinda want to just stay away from the lights i dunno.. Like if i buy a used one it only has a 30 day warranty and if the hinge breaks well im outa $100. The new one is $130, and the diff between that the DSi $130-$170 isnt much... So i was thinking i might as well splurge.. However ebgames does have 2 used DS original's.. Since my brother probly doesnt care i should probably get that for $70 that way i have like $250 left over.

    But then im getting into my itchy spending mode and i want the dsi xl lol.. but ya if the 3ds is comming out in Sept.. whats the point ? Are you sure its comming in sept ? I thought the Pokemon black and white were going to be on the DS and its comming out in Sept ? I only play Pokemon on my DS and thats it really TBH..

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,555
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Quote Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
    But then im getting into my itchy spending mode and i want the dsi xl lol.. but ya if the 3ds is comming out in Sept.. whats the point ? Are you sure its comming in sept ? I thought the Pokemon black and white were going to be on the DS and its comming out in Sept ? I only play Pokemon on my DS and thats it really TBH..
    More likely October or early November, as I said in my other post. Depends whether Japan or North America gets it first.

  7. #7
    ビルがある! NyaChan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    カノコタウン
    Posts
    2,320
    Blog Entries
    85

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Take into account with the 3DS is game for it specifically won't be many in amount for quite some time, not to mention the october/november date is the earliest and also likely only for Japan. And unless you're up to spending much more than it will cost once it comes state side since current yen to USD is somewhere around 80 yen per 1USD (last I checked anyways), something that will be close to 200$ here can end up nearing 300$ when imported from Japan not even counting shipping and handling. Case in point: DSi LL vs DSi XL, 269$ imported vs 190$. While the 3DS will be backwards compatible, I would say waiting for it is probably not the best of choices.

    And personally, I highly suggest the DS lite over any iteration of the DSi. Not only because I personally dislike the DSi, but also DS lites are fairly easy to come by now as well as being much cheaper. Plus, you get the added bonus of having two consoles worth of game selections rather than just the DS. Also, for what it's worth, I'd say the DS phats have more of a hinge problem (in that they are horrendously easy to break, mine fell a foot or two and that small section of the hinge snapped in half, still works but point is still there), as the DS lite's hinges appear to be much sturdier. Though, in general, these things are made to endure lots of crap save for the extreme stuff. So unless you're planning to drop it off the Empire State Building or chuck it across a room and have it hit a wall, it won't break (and even then, I don't think the latter at least won't hurt it too bad to stop it from working xD).

    Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
    More likely October or early November, as I said in my other post. Depends whether Japan or North America gets it first.
    The DS was the first, and currently ONLY console to have been released in the NA before Japan. Not even the later redesigns of the DS were released outside of Japan first. And if anything, I'd say they may opt for a double region/world wide release for this if not a Japan-first, then NA, then where ever.
    Last edited by NyaChan; 22nd April 2010 at 02:07 PM.
    this should be really obvious but, I really don't post here anymore. I pop in from time to time, but I really don't care.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko Heiwa View Post
    Pokemon - The Only Series Who's Fandom Regards Differing Opinions As Trolling

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,555
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Quote Originally Posted by NyaChan View Post
    The DS was the first, and currently ONLY console to have been released in the NA before Japan. Not even the later redesigns of the DS were released outside of Japan first. And if anything, I'd say they may opt for a double region/world wide release for this if not a Japan-first, then NA, then where ever.
    Umm, the Wii? It released in the Americas before Japan, as well. Again, only by a couple weeks, but it does show a shift in Nintendo's way of releasing hardware in recent years.

    Redesigns don't count, as they're redesigns. Launches of entirely new-gen hardware is a different matter. Nintendo no longer seems to favour staggering the releases between regions by very much time, at all. And both the current systems came out in North America before Japan. Personally, if it's only a matter of a few weeks either way, I couldn't care less who gets it first. However, you're wrong about the DS being the only one.

  9. #9
    ビルがある! NyaChan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    カノコタウン
    Posts
    2,320
    Blog Entries
    85

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
    Umm, the Wii? It released in the Americas before Japan, as well. Again, only by a couple weeks, but it does show a shift in Nintendo's way of releasing hardware in recent years.

    Redesigns don't count, as they're redesigns. Launches of entirely new-gen hardware is a different matter. Nintendo no longer seems to favour staggering the releases between regions by very much time, at all. And both the current systems came out in North America before Japan. Personally, if it's only a matter of a few weeks either way, I couldn't care less who gets it first. However, you're wrong about the DS being the only one.
    Only handheld, close enough.

    Either way, two consoles does not a pattern make, despite what this fandom may think.

    It also doesn't void the fact games for the new system will be few and not all of them are going to be worth buying, I can bet on that. A console's not really worth it unless there are multiple games on it you can't play with another console you already own, IMO. And in case you've forgotten, the October/November release is only at the earliest, and is in no way set in stone yet.
    this should be really obvious but, I really don't post here anymore. I pop in from time to time, but I really don't care.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko Heiwa View Post
    Pokemon - The Only Series Who's Fandom Regards Differing Opinions As Trolling

  10. #10
    Legendary Girl A make_it_worse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    If you want some graphics, buy the ds lite
    If you want some musics on it, and like some of apps (dsi ware) buy the dsi
    If you want some musics and The worst graphics the dsi wares and if you want to waste your money(because the screen resolution is maximized) buy the dsi xl
    I add too, you can put some music too on a ds lite but you might buy an add on named Music player for Dslite.
    Though you want only to play Pokémon (like us!!!!) I reccomend the Ds lite, because you'll need it when you transfer some Pokémon from III generation like Ruby, sapphire and emerald , Firered and Leafgreen, if you have these games.
    I was screwed up because i have the dsi, and i can't transfer my pokemon, although also when i have the ds lite too, i couldn't transfer it though i have an International Lock on mine.. T.T
    But the Choise is always yours, we can't stop you for all your decisions. and happy Gaming too!!

    If you're patient too, and if you can wait until next year, buy the 3ds.. i don't know if we could play the black and white versions in an old dslite???
    Last edited by make_it_worse; 22nd April 2010 at 02:53 PM.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,555
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Quote Originally Posted by NyaChan View Post
    Only handheld, close enough.

    Either way, two consoles does not a pattern make, despite what this fandom may think.

    It also doesn't void the fact games for the new system will be few and not all of them are going to be worth buying, I can bet on that. A console's not really worth it unless there are multiple games on it you can't play with another console you already own, IMO. And in case you've forgotten, the October/November release is only at the earliest, and is in no way set in stone yet.
    You said console initially, not handheld. So it's not really that close, no. I don't get why you're so confrontational, though. Calm down a bit, the guy is only asking for opinions; and this is (IMO) something he should at least consider. Nintendo has shifted the way it releases hardware over the years, whatever you might want say on the matter. They no longer wait anywhere near as long as they used to between releases in different regions. That's especially true when launching an entirely new generation.

    The 3DS could very well come out in 6 months... and if that's the case, then we're likely to get more reliable confirmation of it within just a few months (maybe by E3, when it's actually shown). If he wants a DS for his brother and has a few hundred dollars saved now... and it isn't absolutely necessary that he spend it right away, it might be a better option to wait it out (at least until E3) and buy a 3DS if the release date really is that close. Then he'd be able to give his current DS to his brother (as it apparently works perfectly), solving that problem. And since the 3DS can play existing DS titles (barring 1 or 2 that need the GBA slot), it won't matter if every single one of the launch titles are top-quality, record breakers.

    Was every DS launch title a winner? That didn't stop people from buying it, despite the fact they could still play all their GBA games on one of the existing GBA units (which I daresay, most people had). And the launch titles were in no way indicative of the quality titles to come... which the guy would have access to, if he waited for a 3DS (instead of saving up for another 2 or 3 years, or however long it takes). Besides, all the 3DS will need are 2 or 3 top-notch launch titles to keep people satisfied for a few months, until more stuff starts coming out.
    Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 22nd April 2010 at 03:04 PM.

  12. #12
    Major Geek Ravenfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    188
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    I've had my DS lite for a year now and I haven't had any problems with it. Though, when I went to close it the other day it squeaked. o.O It's fine though, maybe you can get him a DSiXL, or you could just wait for the 3DS, but then it would be pretty expensive. How old is your bro? You could just ask him specifically which model he wants.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,555
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenfreak View Post
    maybe you can get him a DSiXL, or you could just wait for the 3DS, but then it would be pretty expensive. How old is your bro? You could just ask him specifically which model he wants.
    Though he did say if he went for the XL, he'd probably just give his bro the older DS.

    And while we have no idea of launch price on the 3DS, I doubt it would be any more than $250... which isn't that much more than the XL, really. Especially considering the fact the 3DS will likely be a massive improvement, and give him access to an entirely new generation of games as they're released.

  14. #14
    Legendary Girl A make_it_worse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
    Though he did say if he went for the XL, he'd probably just give his bro the older DS.

    And while we have no idea of launch price on the 3DS, I doubt it would be any more than $250... which isn't that much more than the XL, really. Especially considering the fact the 3DS will likely be a massive improvement, and give him access to an entirely new generation of games as they're released.
    Yeah, they might change the battle style of Pokémon (one of my dreams)..

    So, i filling my Piggy bank from now..

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,555
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Which DS version should i buy ???

    Quote Originally Posted by make_it_worse View Post
    Yeah, they might change the battle style of Pokémon (one of my dreams)..
    The next two Pokemon games are DS, though, not 3DS. So whichever he goes for has no bearing on whether he'll get to play those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •