Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: DS games confirmed for Wii U Virtual Console

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DS games confirmed for Wii U Virtual Console

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntology View Post
    Ambassador program shows that it can.
    It's not actually playing GBA games, though, it's emulating them. You can't buy a GBA cartridge and run it on your 3DS, or any handheld for that matter since the DS Lite.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Ambassador program shows that it can.
    It's not actually playing GBA games, though, it's emulating them. You can't buy a GBA cartridge and run it on your 3DS, or any handheld for that matter since the DS Lite.
    True (I was counting emulation as 'playing'). As far as I know, though, the wii u doesn't have that capability yet.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

Blog Entries

Why can't the 3DS have DS and GBA games for Virtual Console?
    My Running Gags:
    -Showing that I hate Eevee and co.

-My wacky thoughts expressed in big/small font

-The mentioning of Canadian 'adult model' Bryci

-Puns and Jokes that no-one will guess

-My bets (that I actually never bet on, ironicaly)

-And everything else I do that is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by SquadalaGuy View Post
    Why can't the 3DS have DS and GBA games for Virtual Console?
    In theory, it can.

In practice, some people say the GBA emulator for Ambassador games wasn't all that good.

At least with DS on Wii U, that means people don't necessarily own a 3DS. But if you own a 3DS, you can play DS games anyway. Most of them are still readily available even if traditional major stores no longer stock most of them.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=randomspot555;5109266]
    Quote Originally Posted by SquadalaGuy View Post
    In practice, some people say the GBA emulator for Ambassador games wasn't all that good.
    Seemed to work all right for me. I think there was like, slightly lower resolution graphics or something, but that's a relatively minor complaint.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Game Freak has made it very clear that this is not a sacrifice they'll be willing to make, they consider the communication to be an essential part of the game. So if Bank isn't a feasible solution, then we're no closer to VC main series games than we were before.
    It would be no different to Pal Park in Gen IV or the PokéTransfer in Gen V in regards to being a one-way system. If they skip Ruby and Sapphire and go straight to FireRed/LeafGreen, Emerald and onwards, they could most likely trick the games into believing that the local wireless is the wireless adapter, then we could at least have trading between games on different consoles. With Diamond/Pearl and onwards, this wouldn't be as much of a problem due to online play, so you could simply trade them to a friend over Wi-Fi, then trade to a different game. If an update could be made to Pokémon Bank to give Gen III and Gen IV their own boxes, that would be pretty cool though (with the rule that only games from that respective generation can access it).

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    In addition, wii u is less popular, so they probably won't sell as much as they would on 3ds. It's all very confusing.
    That probably is the reason - to create more incentive for people to buy them.

Also, while the 3DS can currently play DS games, many of them are hard to come by now.
    Fair point, but I really can't imagine that influencing anybody's decision to buy a wii u (certainly not mine!)

And about 3ds being able to play ds games, I just meant that it'd probably be easier to put them on the 3ds eshop rather than working out how to port them to wii u.
    I honestly wish they would just do that (imagine how awful GBA games will look blown up to full home TV size), but I guess Nintendo is trying to throw everything they can onto the Wii U in the hopes that it picks sales up.

Blog Entries

It would be no different to Pal Park in Gen IV or the PokéTransfer in Gen V in regards to being a one-way system. If they skip Ruby and Sapphire and go straight to FireRed/LeafGreen, Emerald and onwards, they could most likely trick the games into believing that the local wireless is the wireless adapter, then we could at least have trading between games on different consoles. With Diamond/Pearl and onwards, this wouldn't be as much of a problem due to online play, so you could simply trade them to a friend over Wi-Fi, then trade to a different game. If an update could be made to Pokémon Bank to give Gen III and Gen IV their own boxes, that would be pretty cool though (with the rule that only games from that respective generation can access it).
    They're probably not going to force you to buy another 3DS to transfer between your own VC games. And given how past consoles tend to prevent you from moving around Pokemon game files between different storage spaces (and I doubt that either the 3DS or Wii U is any different about this), if you end up downloading two games on the same 3DS, you may end up screwing yourself here and that wouldn't even be an option in the first place.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

They're probably not going to force you to buy another 3DS to transfer between your own VC games. And given how past consoles tend to prevent you from moving around Pokemon game files between different storage spaces (and I doubt that either the 3DS or Wii U is any different about this), if you end up downloading two games on the same 3DS, you may end up screwing yourself here and that wouldn't even be an option in the first place.
    Except they forced us to buy another console up until Generation VI and Bank, so it would be nothing new to GameFreak and Nintendo. Honestly, it would only be a minor inconvenience that would only affect a few - Nintendo didn't bother putting multiplayer into the GBA VC port of Mario Kart: Super Circuit and the like either.

I doubt it would happen, but it'd sure be cool.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234