Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: DS games confirmed for Wii U Virtual Console

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default DS games confirmed for Wii U Virtual Console

During today's investors' meeting, Nintendo head honcho Satoru Iwata confirmed that Nintendo DS games will be made available via the Wii U's Virtual Console service. This got me thinking about the possibility of the fourth and fifth generation Pokémon games (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2) possibly being released on the service, due to them being able to communicate with each other through local wireless and wi-fi play (in their respective generations of course).

It is worth mentioning that Junichi Masuda has previously said that he believes the series should remain portable and that Red/Blue have yet to be released on the 3DS Virtual Console, so this is pretty unlikely to happen, but what do you think of the idea?

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Re: DS games confirmed for Wii U Virtual Console

I think it could be cool to play those titles on Virtual Console, but the 3DS plays DS games, and a lot of people probably still own their copies of these games they can play whenever they want. I dunno, I somehow don't see these games really going to the Virtual Console, it's a nice idea though.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pokemon games traditionally haven't been released on VC because it was impossible to trade between two copies. But Bank solves that issue. IDK, I don't think they'd come to 4th and 5th gen games first, they'd probably start with something older.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the spinoffs though, like Mystery Dungeon or Ranger.

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Since I don't have the Wii U it wouldn't affect me, but if I did I think it'd be pretty cool to play older games released on the Virtual Console. As long as future side and main games are still released on both 3DS and Wii U VC

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

I'd rather see gamecube games like Pokemon XD and Colosseum instead of ds games on the Wii U VC, but hey if this means I might have a slight chance of seeing Super Mario 64's DS remake on a console, I am perfectly fine with this
    Snugglefox likes this.

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Bank doesn't necessarily solve the issue of VC games. It solves it for XY VC, but it would require an update of some sort to also function with any previous VC version of the games.
    Plus I prefer my games to be portable. It's kinda the point of pokemon.
    Jenneta likes this.

Don't you worry, child Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Follow Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Considering that the current-gen 3DS can play DS games just fine, I can't really see a significant advantage to having DS games on the Wii U Gamepad, at least for the moment. And I can't think of any advantages of being able to do communications via the Gamepad rather than a (3)DS console. And like others have said, I'd like my Pokémon games portable, and not just living room-to-bedroom portable.

Then again, fourth-gen Pokémon games are now pushing past the USD$50+ price mark on Amazon, so depending on the VC price this would be a great way for someone to access the previous generations without shelling out too much money.

I guess I'll need experience with the whole thing first before I make a firm opinion, but for now I'm not completely sold yet.

Blog Entries

With the PSS, let's just hope Masuda realizes we communicate more using online functionality than walking around. I can see why he'd want the current generations portable, but I don't see why he has to limit the potential for VC releases.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    During today's investors' meeting, Nintendo head honcho Satoru Iwata confirmed that Nintendo DS games will be made available via the Wii U's Virtual Console service. This got me thinking about the possibility of the fourth and fifth generation Pokémon games (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black 2/White 2) possibly being released on the service, due to them being able to communicate with each other through local wireless and wi-fi play (in their respective generations of course).

It is worth mentioning that Junichi Masuda has previously said that he believes the series should remain portable and that Red/Blue have yet to be released on the 3DS Virtual Console, so this is pretty unlikely to happen, but what do you think of the idea?
    It won't happen EVER as that IMHO would ruin the games and most likely KILL OFF the Handheld systems because Pokemon drives system sales on handhelds so by doing this they would screw up the market

Follow Aulos on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Solrock View Post

It won't happen EVER as that IMHO would ruin the games and most likely KILL OFF the Handheld systems because Pokemon drives system sales on handhelds so by doing this they would screw up the market
    How would adding old Pokemon games to the VC do any such thing? It's not like they'd be releasing the new Pokemon titles there.
    ~~

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

...first I hear about GBA titles on Wii U VC, now this...were they drinking when they came up with the idea of HANDHELD VC's on the CONSOLE?

Blog Entries

The DS games are the last ones that should receive the Virtual Console treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by PikachuColoredPichu View Post
    ...first I hear about GBA titles on Wii U VC, now this...were they drinking when they came up with the idea of HANDHELD VC's on the CONSOLE?
    It's a forced way to make the Wii U look more appealing.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

You do know that there are other games on the 3DS other than Pokémon right? Besides, Nintendo aren't even releasing older Pokémon titles on the handhelds, so I highly doubt the 3DS will magically die if Nintendo chose to release older games on the Wii U's Virtual Console.

Blog Entries

You do know that there are other games on the 3DS other than Pokémon right? Besides, Nintendo aren't even releasing older Pokémon titles on the handhelds, so I highly doubt the 3DS will magically die if Nintendo chose to release older games on the Wii U's Virtual Console.
    Yes but its pokemon that the primary driver of handheld sales ( i used to work and gamestop then a best buy and even Nintendo has acknowledged this fact) and it would ruin the point of the old fashioned remakes we expect every gen almost now especially if would link the bank with the old DS line of BC pokemon games should they do it

Quote Originally Posted by Aulos View Post

How would adding old Pokemon games to the VC do any such thing? It's not like they'd be releasing the new Pokemon titles there.
    It would ruin the point of remakes so it would be as if they would ruining "new" pokemon titles

Blog Entries

and it would ruin the point of the old fashioned remakes we expect every gen almost now especially if would link the bank with the old DS line of BC pokemon games should they do it
    Newsflash: Game Freak can release new games rather than resorting to remakes. We saw this in Generation V.
    Ange and Joshawott like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast