Dp = Gs... - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dp = Gs...

I have never been able to understand how for every Johto Pokémon in a new game that is not a Gold/Silver remake, the likelyhood of the aforementioned games seeing the light of the day supposedly drop. If Game Freak wanted to re-visit and expand the world of the first generation in the third generation games, did it mean that the Pokémon introduced in the second generation had to be wiped off the face of the earth until those three years had passed again?
    FireRed/LeafGreen's main draw was to collect Pokemon which had not been incarnated into the third generation as of the release of Ruby and Sapphire.
    Considering all old Pokemon are available in Diamond and Pearl, I can't see the appeal of making a GSC remake at this point - Lugia and Ho-oh more readily available? Not to mention the other flaw with such remakes. After recently visiting Kanto, do we really wish to revisit the land again so soon? They'd either have to wait for a while or scrap the Kanto region entirely and construct a new Sevii Island-esque island chain to explore.

Better to save it for next generation, methinks. In Generation III, GF constructed an artificial need for Gen I remakes. There's no need for them this generation.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

that's true, but wouldn't you agree that replaying the GSC plot with updated graphics, gameplay, and all that great stuff

I would
    LJ - Twin Suns, my band - Solo Project-
    Please take a listen to my music. I'd REALLY appreciate your input and support

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

The plots of the main RPGs of Pokémon are simply not interesting enough to warrant constant revisiting. It's bad enough each new game is simply a variation on the previous one. That's why I find PMD so much more interesting - it's new, it's different, it's not the same thing all over again. (Though I doubt PMD 2, should such a thing come to be, will give that same sense of novelty.)

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I concur. The plot is one of the things I loved about Mystery Dungeon but if it can't be matched then there shouldn't be a sequal to it.

As for the GSC remake, I agree with Zeta that Generation V is the best time for it. After all, making a habit of remaking each game only two generations after their initial release would just be pushing it. I would prefer it if we could go a generation without revisiting Kanto.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I hope they don't :[ but Game Freak loves money so it's probably unavoidable.
    What do you care? You'd only play the rom anyway.

I doubt there will be a remake considering all the exclusive GSC pokemon are obtainable via FRLG and Emerald. However, I hope there is one!
    Pragmatism not idealism.

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

It's not about what I'd buy, it's the thought of Game Freak putting a great amount of time and resources into something extraneous when they should go into the fifth generation ;[

It's not about what I'd buy, it's the thought of Game Freak putting a great amount of time and resources into something extraneous when they should go into the fifth generation ;[
    But how much work would a GSC remake really require? The battle system and graphics work is already done. All that really has to be done is build new maps and new trainers and reprogram the badges, etc, most of which are things that can be done with even simple ROM hacking tools in the Third Gen games, and likely wouldn't take long to do with Fourth Gen.

The hardest part is probably quality assurance testing to prevent surfing through doors, which takes no time from actual game development anyway, except to fix any bugs that are found.

- Trip
    AIM: Just One Trip
    YIM: murky_krow
    Google Talk murkykrow (at) gmail (dot) com

RabbitEars

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trophies

As far as I can tell, FRLG took close to a year of development time - having been released over a year after Ruby and Sapphire. A year on GSC remakes either means that the fifth gen gets rushed or that we'll have to once more wait an extra year for it :/

How do we know they haven't been working on a GS remake while developing DP?

Blog Entries

A year on GSC remakes either means that the fifth gen gets rushed or that we'll have to once more wait an extra year for it :/
    What exactly is it that you want? I can see why you would have been happy with 10 months less waiting time for Diamond and Pearl, but what about the previous generation? Did it exhaust itself once we had become accustomed to Ruby and Sapphire?

A new generation can only provide you with a "breath of fresh air" for so long. It sounds as if you are already counting the days until the announcement of the new main series titles - is it really the climax of our fandom? Is there nothing more to it than seeing if the formula which originally captured us, still works? Are we not meant to enjoy it for what it is?

I dunno, but personally I am awaiting what spin-offs we get this gen (Snap Wii! Hey You Pikachu Wii!)

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McGraw View Post
    What do you care? You'd only play the rom anyway.

I doubt there will be a remake considering all the exclusive GSC pokemon are obtainable via FRLG and Emerald. However, I hope there is one!
    Last I heard, ROM had a little issue known as "not working" where DP is concerned...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Last I heard, ROM had a little issue known as "not working" where DP is concerned...
    It is merely a matter of time. People like Misty are just waiting it out.
    Pragmatism not idealism.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Yay, I'm a person like Misty!

(Not entirely true. I am planning to get DP once they're out in English, regardless of ROM status)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Trophies

In the off-chance a working emulator is available by US release, I'll use it, but at this point I figure I'll probably just get the game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast