Does playing Pokemon make you childish? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

Default Re: Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    Not at all, no. It's far from kiddy fun actually, there is lots of thinking and strategy involved whether you play it competitively or just for fun.

Most of the people who berate us for playing it now are usually 12 year olds glued to stuff like WoW or Black Ops anyway, why listen to them?

I totally agree
    Black Friend Code: 2280 2589 4167
    I have Legendaries For Trade http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f601/pokedex-fillers-shinies-foriegn-legendaries-so-much-more-144886/#post4546955
    Jalapeno!!!

Lost in the numbers :S Jacko19863's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dont even like BOPS.
    I've claimed
    Pokémon
    Zoroark (26/9/12)

Moves
    Earthquake (26/9/12)
    Items
    Tidal Bell (26/9/12)
    DeepSeaTooth (26/9/12)
    Abilities
    Magnet Pull (26/9/12)

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

Dude, pokemon is more than than a game in which you send colorful sprites to attack each other, it's a base for common ground that the entire world can come together on. It's a way for the nations who play the games to transcend their political boundaries and have fun with their fellow trainers. The games promote global unity and stands to show that friendships can bypass the language barrier to be long-lasting and true.

Anyone who thinks pokemon is just a children's game that serves no purpose except to fill the gaming industries pocket, I say nay! Actually, Little Kuriboh can summarize it better. Mr. Billany?

Thank you.

I don't think it's childish. I think it's more mature for a teenager to play Pokémon than for a little kid to play CoD (but on the other hand pretty much anything is more mature than little kids playing FPS games).
    The point is, the games are fun, long lasting, have great story lines and are really enjoyable, so I don't think it's childish just because that's the prejudice of society.

I can swear people who talk like that, seem to think the only pokemon that exists is Pikachu, or only cute pokemon.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir On Twitter Add Mikes Gardevoir on Google+
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir on Tumblr Visit Mikes Gardevoir's Youtube Channel

Pokemon isnt childish especially when you get into the hardcore battlers with the EV's and IV's no 10 year old knows about that. But the anime can be somewhat childish

Blog Entries
    Add Jammy2A on Facebook

Pokémon is a vastly complex game when you get to it, sure the main story can be easy as hell if you want it to be, and I think it's a good game overall because the story is often straightforward, it's a good rpg for those with little experience of those games and it is genuinely fun to play.

But you can also take it to the next level:
    1) It is remarkably difficult to obtain ALL pokémon without cheating, especially when it comes down to legendaries obtainable via event only.
    2) Competitive battling is incredibly complex when you get to it! 17 types, all with their merit, all with at least one powerful/useful pokémon, 559 moves to choose from given limitations: 4 moves per pokémon, 6 pokémon per party, and you got to choose moves that will be strategically relevant, 165 abilities to take into account, 649 pokémon to choose from, although it is true only a fraction find their way in competitive battling. But still, the degree of complexity is remarkably high, I can't think of many RPGs or even war games with that much diversity! Dont recall Halo 3 having 559 different weapons, or an (MMO)RPG with 649 races to choose from.

These games are great because of this dichotomy: they are great for rookies, because of their easy nature, and at the same time their great for more advanced players, because they have the capacity to provide us with a good challenge and entertain us at the same time. I'm 23, studying a postgrad degree in econ and I love these games no matter what. Doesnt matter what age you are or what you do, those games are awesome!

Not to say that games like Halo, God of War or Pro Evolution Soccer arent great, they are, but Pokémon deserve more respect than it gets from most people :)

I'm 22 and still play Pokemon. Not too often, since I have a job, but I still enjoy it. I think Pokemon is very nostalgic for my generation since we grew up with it. I know quite a few people who still play. And my boyfriend has Pokemon Stadium so we like to battle each other. It's a fun game just like any other RPG, which is my preferred genre, and since it's on a handheld console, it's very convenient to play.

I'll just let that picture do my talking. ;)

I won't bite... Emerald-eyed Sableye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only if you think it does I know for a fact that I am not childish just because I play Pokémon besides who's to say that not everyone is childish in some sort of way for the things they do and besides who ever has a problem with it needs to mind there own business and not worry about what I or others do.

Shining Monstrosity Elesa Ver 2.0's Avatar

I remember one time someone told me to stop liking pokemon because it was childish.

About five months later I found out they were watching My Little Pony religiously.

Irony.

(nothing against MLP btw)
    I thINk sOMeTHinG WeNT wRonG wiTH thAt LaST updAtE

Blog Entries

Not really, since Pokemon games can get pretty dark (mainly the Mystery Dungeon games, where you actually die) and the BW games have probably been the darkest main games out of the series so far.

Then again, games like Kirby also have their dark moments as well. But I think that most people who find Pokemon childish relate it to the anime and think that the games are the same way.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

It's primarily aimed at a young audience. By that definition, it's childish.

What's wrong with enjoying something that's childish?

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Nope. I know more kids than adults who think Pokemon is uncool. I outgrew the anime many, many years ago (around the Johto incarnation) but the games I have been playing for thirteen or fourteen years. I love seeing the new Pokemon. They're handheld so I don't have to sit down to play them. I stopped playing them for a while after Gen II, but I started back up again last year and had to play through all the newer ones. The new ones are almost like expansion packs, and I love any world that keeps growing. The DS is great for adults; just snap it shut and it goes nap nap. Open it again and start right back up when you get free time. I don't watch TV so I fiddle around with games in my spare time. I beat the Elite Four of White waiting for the plumber to arrive because, once again, it's much easier to find time for games you can carry around than ones you have to sit down and load. Or all the time consumed looking for a save point in more "adult" games. Dinner doesn't burn if you don't have to spend time hunting for the save guy. If anything, Pokemon is better for people with less time (adults) because of how easily it is saved and how portable the game systems are. Do you know how many hours I would log in the Sims 3 if the handheld version was half as good as the PC version? But I can only play my sims about once or twice a month (I get into it and it takes so long to start up it's just not worth turning it off and back on in between stuff) while I can play Pokemon much more frequently.

That aside, just look at the villain teams. Giovanni was an extremely complicated guy. Evil, yes, but fascinating from an adult standpoint. Some of them really try to get people to think a different way. You have to pause to wonder if you agree with what they're saying. BW2 has you getting help from a former Team Plasma member who really believed in helping Pokemon. Isn't that moral lesson a little complex for little kids?

And, if nothing else, I did my senior thesis in college over the Harry Potter series. I could've done a doctoral dissertation over it. What might seem like simple children's literature or games can often turn out to be more complex than anyone could have imagined.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MTD3454 View Post
    Pokemon isnt childish especially when you get into the hardcore battlers with the EV's and IV's no 10 year old knows about that. But the anime can be somewhat childish
    I'm 10 and I know Evs and Ivs. But yeah, the anime is kind of childish especially best wishes.
    Shiny Sninx Breeding!
    Hatch Count: 67
    Trying to obtain a Shiny Shinx!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast