Does playing Pokemon make you childish? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

Default Re: Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

Yes, yes it does.

But not as childish as trying to explain how playing a children's game does not make you childish.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Crazy Automaton Lady Silverwynde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, it doesn't and it isn't. If anyone has a problem with you playing Pokemon, they are the ones with the problem and not you. The last time someone tried to say that sort of thing was well over ten years ago and the guy was a known stoner. Yeah, I think we all know who was acting immature.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    If anything, I'd say games that over emphasis needless over the top violence and gore are childish. Sure, they're 18+ plus games but they're obviously aimed at those with more immature mind sets, who think that stuff is mature just because it has dismembering.
    ^ This. Just because it has blood and guts doesn't mean it's flipping mature. Seriously.

In fact, one of my co-workers who was playing Skyrim talked about how she was dead sick of killing dragons and wished she could just befriend one of them. I said that I could do that in my game and hey, I could even ride it! She looked surprised and asked what I played, so I told her.

Suddenly, that "childish little kiddie game" didn't look so childish anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Yes, yes it does.

But not as childish as trying to explain how playing a children's game does not make you childish.
    Mind explaining why? I'm kinda curious over here. Inquiring minds and all.

I ♥ my female Bisharp.
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwynde View Post
    Mind explaining why? I'm kinda curious over here. Inquiring minds and all.
    Playing a children's game makes you childish because you can take delight in something colourful, bright and limited in serious drama, which is what children, for the most part, like.

Now, there is nothing wrong with that. All of us have an innate urge for that type of stuff and engaging it does not make us any less mature, nor naive, nor anything else that may be associated with being "childish" that ought not to be.

When one denies any merit in children's play then they deny all the childlike qualities within themselves. Yet, by doing so they are being childish by flat out denying any positiveness that could potently come from children's play with little consideration.

So, trying to defend one's enjoyment of a children's games (that they deny to be a children's game) with a person who denies the benefits of childish behaviour, is essentially like getting into a "Yes it is" "No it's not" "Yes it is" "No it's not" debate and taking it completely and utterly serious.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Lost in the numbers :S Jacko19863's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dont think its childish, I've been picked on for playing it. But hey presto, I start talking about and they seem to know about every single pokemon lol. I totes think their hiding something -.-

I believe the better question is, why does it matter? If it's something you enjoy doing, then why does it matter what someone else thinks of it? If someone is seriously going to judge you for one of your hobbies, then you are better off without them anyways.

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

LOL I get SO MAD when people think playing pokemon is childish!! I always shot back at them "Are you saying that AFTER you've played all 5 games up to BW?". Well, yeah, I can be biased at times cuz I kinda rage at people treating pokemon like some kiddy material when they haven't even played the games enough to judge it. I know it's not good, but I can't help feeling that way ;_;

Pokemon is extremely popular worldwide. The franchise can hit the market strong, and look how long it had been staying in the top ranking games! Yes, it is appealing to children, but it's attracting adults as well - adults who can enjoy the games AND afford it on their own. There are adults who CHOOSE to play the game and PAY for it on their own judgment. If adults find it attractive, then there is no reason to define pokemon as a kiddy game. It's for everyone, not "child-only"

Anyways, back to the main topic, Pokemon is a game that is not childish. Therefore, playing it does not make you childish. Heck, I wonder why people don't ask those questions with Super Mario or Sonic. But anyways... yeah.
    Last edited by Kyriaki; 26th September 2012 at 07:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

One of the good things about being an adult is that you yourself can define what you think is childish.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Not at all, no. It's far from kiddy fun actually, there is lots of thinking and strategy involved whether you play it competitively or just for fun.

Most of the people who berate us for playing it now are usually 12 year olds glued to shit like WoW or Black Ops anyway, why listen to them?

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

I'm 10 and people call me childish lol -__- but pokemon'll NEVER be childish!
    Get your game on!

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    To be honest, I don't think kids that young should be playing those games in the first place. I mean, they're 12 year olds and the games are rated MATURE. Parents these days need to learn to have more control over what games their kids play.
    I agree. I heard some younger cousins of mine talking about those games a while back. They asked a guy who served in the military if he had played Modern Warfare and he responsed with "You mean the game, or the real thing?" I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    Anyway, Pokemon is generally aimed at children, so I do think it is a childish series and I've somewhat outgrown it myself. But I still enjoy the mainstream games to some extent, otherwise I wouldn't be here. So I don't care that it's childish. I like the games and I'll keep playing them if I damn well want to.
    The word "childish" is defined in 2 ways.

1: characteristic of or suitable for a child. This is true. Pokemon is made to appeal mostly to 8-12 year old boys. However, Game Freak has stated that design these games so that they can appeal to ALL groups of people at any age, not just young boys only.

2: regarded as showing a lack of adult qualities such as emotional restraint, seriousness, or good sense I find that this definition does not apply to Pokemon. It is a well thoughtout universe with many themes. And you can come up with many various strategies for battle. Lots of thought goes into these games from the producers and developers to the players themselves.

Dragon Ball Z is considered a children's show in Japan, even though there's lots of blood and violent death in it. Just because something is made primarily for a younger audience doesn't make it "childish". I only consider something childish if it is made to appeal ONLY to children. Barney the Dinosaur is childish. SpongeBob is not in my book. (but that's just me.)
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you've grown up with it as I have from a rather young age, you can't outgrow it. I wasn't part of the fad, I genuinely liked it back then I still love it now.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
    I agree. I heard some younger cousins of mine talking about those games a while back. They asked a guy who served in the military if he had played Modern Warfare and he responsed with "You mean the game, or the real thing?" I laughed.
    Ha, now that's funny. XD

The word "childish" is defined in 2 ways.

1: characteristic of or suitable for a child. This is true. Pokemon is made to appeal mostly to 8-12 year old boys. However, Game Freak has stated that design these games so that they can appeal to ALL groups of people at any age, not just young boys only.

2: regarded as showing a lack of adult qualities such as emotional restraint, seriousness, or good sense I find that this definition does not apply to Pokemon. It is a well thoughtout universe with many themes. And you can come up with many various strategies for battle. Lots of thought goes into these games from the producers and developers to the players themselves.
    Regardless, I still find the series to be kiddie and that's why I don't love it as much as I used to. My stepbrothers and I were obsessed with it back in the day. We'd play games all the time, collect tons of cards, and all kinds of stuff. Nowadays though, I only collect cards once in awhile and play the mainstream games (I have no interest in PMD or Pokemon Ranger or anything). I do collect some figures and plushies of Pokemon I like a lot though. But the other parts of my Nintendo collection are much bigger.

Really, Pokemon is about children befriending and going on journeys with cutesy little creatures (though some are pretty fearsome, like most of the legendaries and beasts such as Aggron and Tyranitar). That, to me, is kiddie and childish, whether GameFreak wants to appeal to all ages or not. But I'm not saying this is a bad thing. No, not at all. In fact, I'm glad that there are games that are meant to appeal to kids more than adults and games that aren't littered with blood and gore and shit like that.

I'm also not saying that playing Pokemon makes you childish. A very mature adult could easily enjoy Pokemon, so yeah.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Heck NO! ive played pokemon since 2000 and have watched it since 1998. by saying pokemon is childish would be saying the classic nicktoons and cartoon cartoon friday shows are childish. those still to this day are cherised by kids and adults alike. even though some aspects of pokemon (esp in the anime) are geared twords a younger demographic, that doesnt make the entirety of the series childish

Lost in the numbers :S Jacko19863's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe they're just picking on you because they play it theirselves & dont wanna be caught playing it :P
    I've claimed
    Pokémon
    Zoroark (26/9/12)

Moves
    Earthquake (26/9/12)
    Items
    Tidal Bell (26/9/12)
    DeepSeaTooth (26/9/12)
    Abilities
    Magnet Pull (26/9/12)

Certified Renard fanboy Magnagarde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never really come across anyone who thinks pokemon is childish. When I was in high school,everyone played it. When I was in college everyone played it. At my job, everyone plays it. I take it more seriously than they do, but still.
    3DS FC: 2380-3776-6603

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast