Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

Blog Entries

Default Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

Like I said in another post, lots of people I come across consider it childish when teen's or people over 15 play Pokemon.

Do you somewhat agree with it?

I don't - only because I grew up with Pokemon and have loved it since I was quite young.

Mew

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does playing Pokemon make you childish?

We've long past the point where video games as a medium could be considered a childish past time. The stupidly huge market for FPSes and other AAA games say otherwise. So the traditional argument from adults--at least, those who were adults in the late '90s--,that Pokemon is a video game, and only children and losers waste time on those, is no longer applicable.

The typical argument from our generation, at least the one I remember from middle school and high school, is that since it was just a fad when we were kids, it's inherently childish. Which is overly simplistic and offers no nuance at all.

The last argument is the one I normally see from other gamers: that it's too simplistic, or too kid-friendly, and the only games we should be playing are 'hardcore' FPSes and action games, or at least 'mature' RPGs like Skyrim. Which is, again, overly simplistic and un-nuanced.

So yeah, I don't agree at all. At the very least, so what if playing Pokemon makes you childish? It's fun, it's surprisingly complex, and boasts beautiful settings, interesting characters, and countless ways to play. It's the second most successful video game franchise in history for a reason, and has maintained an incredible level of quality for fifteen years. There's literally no reason for a fan not to play other than petty and shallow concerns about reputation and appearances.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Well, some people I know are all "You still like Pokémon?!" but no, playing Pokémon doesn't necessarily make you childish, I'm pretty sure there are some mature people out there who play Pokémon too.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

These days, 12 year olds talk about how cool games like Gears of War are. I wonder if that makes all those violent M-rated war games childish since children love them so much.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
    These days, 12 year olds talk about how cool games like Gears of War are. I wonder if that makes all those violent M-rated war games childish since children love them so much.
    To be honest, I don't think kids that young should be playing those games in the first place. I mean, they're 12 year olds and the games are rated MATURE. Parents these days need to learn to have more control over what games their kids play.

Anyway, Pokemon is generally aimed at children, so I do think it is a childish series and I've somewhat outgrown it myself. But I still enjoy the mainstream games to some extent, otherwise I wouldn't be here. So I don't care that it's childish. I like the games and I'll keep playing them if I damn well want to.

Blog Entries
    Follow RainbowSylveon On Twitter Add RainbowSylveon on Facebook
    Follow RainbowSylveon on Tumblr Visit RainbowSylveon's Youtube Channel

I don't think playing Pokemon makes one childish. It may be all a game of rock-paper-scissors at its core, but it's a bit of a complicated rock-paper-scissors, and it's quite enjoyable. Why should a series that is enjoyable and obviously a major hit be childish? It'd be like saying Mario is a childish game, or Sonic, or something along those lines.
    Claims: Oshawott, Ice Body, Magmarizer, Griseous Orb (July 1, 2012) Cross Poison (September 26, 2012)

Tumblr | Twitter | Playthrough Blog

Fennekindle ==> RainbowSylveon

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I don't agree that playing Pokémon makes you childish - in fact, the Masters Division (the oldest age group) of Pokémon VGC have the largest membership cap - double that of the other two divisions.

If anything, I'd say games that over emphasis needless over the top violence and gore are childish. Sure, they're 18+ plus games but they're obviously aimed at those with more immature mind sets, who think that stuff is mature just because it has dismembering.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Honestly, I dont think it's childish at all, I think it's childish when people make fun of people who play it because they think it's childish. People can play whatever they like.

I don't think so. I've wondered this too but the fact that it has been such an integral part in my life as I've grown up, I feel it excuses it slightly :P

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    We've long past the point where video games as a medium could be considered a childish past time. The stupidly huge market for FPSes and other AAA games say otherwise. So the traditional argument from adults--at least, those who were adults in the late '90s--,that Pokemon is a video game, and only children and losers waste time on those, is no longer applicable.

The typical argument from our generation, at least the one I remember from middle school and high school, is that since it was just a fad when we were kids, it's inherently childish. Which is overly simplistic and offers no nuance at all.

The last argument is the one I normally see from other gamers: that it's too simplistic, or too kid-friendly, and the only games we should be playing are 'hardcore' FPSes and action games, or at least 'mature' RPGs like Skyrim. Which is, again, overly simplistic and un-nuanced.

So yeah, I don't agree at all. At the very least, so what if playing Pokemon makes you childish? It's fun, it's surprisingly complex, and boasts beautiful settings, interesting characters, and countless ways to play. It's the second most successful video game franchise in history for a reason, and has maintained an incredible level of quality for fifteen years. There's literally no reason for a fan not to play other than petty and shallow concerns about reputation and appearances.
    To add on to this: I've come across people who, while considering Pokemon childish, still play Mario and consider that not childish.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that Pokemon has turned from a completely "childish" franchise into a "geeky" franchise because many fans grew up with it. It's the same thing with other fandoms, like Harry Potter and superheroes.

I don't care anymore myself. I'm getting B2 as a belated 25th birthday gift. I postgamed the last theatrical movie by going on a bar crawl, and I'm having some drinks to celebrate the BW2 launch.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Honestly, judging someone if they like Pokémon, or for any of their hobbies for that matter, is pretty childish.

So no, I don't think it is childish at all.
    Last edited by Oswin; 25th September 2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Silverwynde likes this.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

I don't see it as any more childish then playing any other game to be honest. Everyone has their own hobbies and preferences on what they want to spend their time doing. I have to admit that once I was pretty uncomfortable with other people knowing I played Pokemon because I thought they would consider it childish but now I just really don't care.

No one should be ashamed of their interests, especially if it's something as innocent as playing Pokemon games.

Since a lot of the guys beat me to the meat and potatoes arguments I'll simply say this: No, only you can judge the worth of who you are and what you enjoy. Esp. if its a safe hobby of all things.

Anyone who laughs and calls it childish (which is calling the kettle black honestly) are insecure beings clinging to their superficial norms of wanting to fit in. Let them, at least you have a game that'll last you far more than a week or so.

Blog Entries

Playing pokemon doesn't make a person childish.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast