SPECULATION: Does The Introduction Of Mega's Mean The Death Of Cross-Gen Evolution Lines? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does The Introduction Of Mega's Mean The Death Of Cross-Gen Evolution Lines?

Default Re: Does The Introduction Of Mega's Mean The Death Of Cross-Gen Evolution Lines?

Quote Originally Posted by scheisskopf View Post
    i'm sort of struggling to see the purpose behind not making would-be (future) cross-gen evos mega evolutions?
    You listed two very good reasons: design changes and the Mega restriction (you can add an item slot to that). This isn't something that you should struggle to see; it's fairly apparent. Mega Evolution was clearly not designed with particularly mediocre Pokémon in mind.

I'd be content if the list of cross-generational evolutions were finalized with Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, Corsola, Qwilfish, Delibird, Spinda, Castform, Luvdisc, Volbeat, Illumise and Chatot. Granted, it would be acceptable if a few of them were just given the Mawile treatment (meaning a Mega Evolution with a really good ability), but such a solution should be used rarely.
    Last edited by Silktree; 13th July 2014 at 04:26 AM.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Default Re: Does The Introduction Of Mega's Mean The Death Of Cross-Gen Evolution Lines?

The thing is the treatment Mawile was given could have pretty well just been an actual evolution. Leave its stats the same but throw an extra 30 or so points on attack while not necessarily giving it Huge Power. Wouldn't take up a mega slot, and you could still boost its attack by something like a Life Orb if you wanted. The mega itself already looks enough like it could stand on its own as a regular evolution because it's not some drastic change in design. The thing just grows another head and looks a bit more ornate. Mega Sableye will likely be shit compared to actual Sableye because you're removing it from its niche. Sableye is arguably one of the best pokemon with Prankster. Getting rid of that, even with the stat boost, it'll probably just become some other pokemon that doesn't see much use even with Magic Bounce.

Giving megas to single stage pokemon has been in my eyes the worst thing done with megas. Those pokemon could have been better off with a new evolution entirely, but giving an evolution to a pokemon that alone could be great with just a bit higher defenses may be more alluring as an eviolite candidate once that evolution exists.

I'm not saying eviolite's the only thing that led to us seeing megas, but I think it's made the people making the games significantly more hesitant about coming out with those cross generational evolutions. The fact that mid to high base 400 pokemon like Mawile and Absol almost certainly will never be getting actual evolutions now just makes it seem more likely to me that all other pokemon in that category like Torkoal, Girafarig or Heatmor will only have the option of megas. The only thing that would make them seem appealing enough to take up the mega slot would then just be a really useful ability as is the case on Mawile, Kangaskhan and Pinsir. It could happen, but personally I'd just rather them get actual evolutions so you can just tool around with those pokemon in the game rather than having to only mega them in battle.

The high 300/low 400 pokemon haven't been touched yet, so I'm still hopeful for pokemon like Corsola, Qwilfish and Chatot. It's just that right now I could see that group going either way.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    The high 300/low 400 pokemon haven't been touched yet, so I'm still hopeful for pokemon like Corsola, Qwilfish and Chatot. It's just that right now I could see that group going either way.
    Mawile and Sableye are part of this category, but they're just two Pokémon. I don't think we can infer anything from them, especially as Sableye is useful as-is (and Mawile is its counterpart).

The mega itself already looks enough like it could stand on its own as a regular evolution because it's not some drastic change in design.
    Are you saying that Mega Evolution changes are more drastic? Crazier perhaps, but you can still easily identify the original Pokémon.

Blog Entries
    Follow RTA fan On Twitter

Kangaskhan may get a pre-evolution yet. You never know...
    Pokemon player since 2003, Wikia member since 2013, Zerahead fan since 2011, Pokemon master (ish) since 2004
    Electric friend safari with Electabuzz, Luxio and Emolga

Blog Entries

Yes and no. Since megas were introduced I think it was to give a evolution to a Pokemon but without ruining their look as they were a fan favourite, an example being Lucario.
    As to whether they'll ever do any other evolution I don't know as it took Magmar and Electabuzz several generations to get a evolution. I don't think they'll stop pre-evolutions because of megas though and they may do some more evolutions further down the line.

FC: 4725-8143-3936 Y: Serenade AS: Lys
    Claims: Mega Gyarados, Noble Roar, Stance Change, King's Rock, Reshiram Doll

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by RTA fan View Post
    Kangaskhan may get a pre-evolution yet. You never know...
    7 or more generations into the franchise (no way we'd get it this generation...) I'd love it, but I honestly doubt it... Then again, no one thought we'd get Sylveon.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheisskopf View Post
    i'm sort of struggling to see the purpose behind not making would-be (future) cross-gen evos mega evolutions?
    You listed two very good reasons: design changes and the Mega restriction (you can add an item slot to that). This isn't something that you should struggle to see; it's fairly apparent. Mega Evolution was clearly not designed with particularly mediocre Pokémon in mind.

I'd be content if the list of cross-generational evolutions were finalized with Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, Corsola, Qwilfish, Delibird, Spinda, Castform, Luvdisc, Volbeat, Illumise and Chatot. Granted, it would be acceptable if a few of them were just given the Mawile treatment (meaning a Mega Evolution with a really good ability), but such a solution should be used rarely.
    yeah it was sort of late to be honest and i don't know exactly why i put that; i probably meant to delete it after i listed the reasons. i might have meant that, besides the reasons i went on to list, i don't really see the point in not making them mega evolutions (though you listed a good reason yourself: if they're decidedly mediocre like the pokemon you listed then i think a full-on evolution would honestly be more beneficial!).

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If Eviolite were that game-breaking, it would make all NFE Pokémon better than their evolutions (not just cross-generational evolutions).
    And to put this into perspective--let's assume things like Mega Lucario, and Kangaskhan had the exact same stats and abilities. Does anyone honestly think Eviolite Lucario and Kangaskhan would have caught on? Well, maybe Eviolite Kangaskhan due to its bulk but in no way do I see it outclassing an evolution with Parental Bond and held items.

I guess for these guys, the benefit of Mega Evolution is that they have an excuse to break/approach the 600 BST limit that non-legendaries typically achieve. But for things like Mawile? I've shown in my previous post that Pokemon have gotten a BST increase above 100 points from simply evolving. Mawile's 380 BST is so low that it could justify the same ~130 boost that Charmeleon gets upon evolution without the restrictions of mega evolution (no HP boost, lack of held item).

Though personally, I find speculating about mega Pokemon more interesting because of the intrinsic limitations on what we can give them, but that doesn't mean megas best serve all Pokemon.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Are you saying that Mega Evolution changes are more drastic? Crazier perhaps, but you can still easily identify the original Pokémon.
    Most megas are just a case of taking the base pokemon and making it spikier. Because Mawile gains the second mouth and the design goes a lot further with the kimono design, it looks more like it could stand alone on its own. Just the fact that Mawile grows an entire second mouth for short periods of time just weirds me out a bit more than other pokemon growing a lot of hair or larger spikes.

Most megas are just a case of taking the base pokemon and making it spikier. Because Mawile gains the second mouth and the design goes a lot further with the kimono design, it looks more like it could stand alone on its own. Just the fact that Mawile grows an entire second mouth for short periods of time just weirds me out a bit more than other pokemon growing a lot of hair or larger spikes.
    Even weirder is the Kangaskhan kid going back and forth from infant to preadolescence (i think is this) all the time.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

3DS 4682-9334-0694

Agreed, but you worded it wrong initially: "The mega itself already looks enough like it could stand on its own as a regular evolution because it's not some drastic change in design."

Blog Entries

Probably. Maybe. I guess we really don't know, but outlook is bleak. I really hope not, a new evolution is always gonna be something cool.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries

I don't think it will. Mega Evolution shouldn't be the successor for cross generation evolution, as it is not permanent evolution itself. CGE also has the possibility to surpass ME in strength (cross generation evolution's stat increases, possible new ability, possible new typing with the ability to still hold an item).

That being said, I don't think CGE will be that prominent as GameFreak doesn't intend to make so many Pokemon be able to evolve. Not everything needs an evolution.

..which I guess is what ME is for?
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Dunno about evos, but I'm pretty sure there will be more cross-gen pre-evos in the future.

1. Baby pokemon are cute. Fanservice. Wynaut.
    2. To introduce new egg moves, like Volt Tackle
    3. To introduce new evolution methods.
    4. Room for more stat growth
    The Rainmaker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12