Does Gender Matter? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Does Gender Matter?

Let's make this showy Captain Marvelous's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does Gender Matter?

EVEN though im a male I have a tendency to catch female Pokemon i only use male Pokemon if there either bred for me and traded or i get them over the GTS

MY starter pokemon has to be female at all cost to.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be the same way when I was a kid. Now it doesn't matter to me so much. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Benster404 View Post
    I remember when i first started playing pokemon back during the Gold & Silver era, i was just about to enter Ilex Forest after defeating the gym. BAM! The rival appeared. Halfway through this battle i realised all his Pokémon were male. At this point i decided to follow this trend and only catch male pokémon (with the exception of chansey and any other female only pokemon).

I have only recently now broken this trend some 10 years later. Does anybody else follow this trend or is it just me?

No, Not Yet Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Male, Female, Genderless, Shiny, Non-Shiny, Pokérus, no Pokérus - I don't care. All are equal in my eyes. I did feel guilty that my Black 2 team is all male, except for my gender less Starmie, so I gave Starmie a female nickname and caught a female Skorupi.

Charizard fan since 1996 Charraze's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I only get male pokemon. When I was 7 my friend told me Male pokemon have more attack and defense so I just assumed they were better. I still believe him today xD
    WHITE FC: 3010 2870 9206

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends for me. Usually, it doesn't really matter, but for some Pokemon, it does matter to me. For example, Gardevoir is my favorite Psychic-type, and even though it can be both male and female, I prefer my Gardevoir to be female. Not only does Gardevoir look more feminine to begin with, but I've had a habit of calling a female Gardevoir Lora since Sapphire. Because of that, I've actually started writing stories about a young adult male trainer and his primary partner, a female Gardevoir named Lora. Another example is that I prefer to have male starters, with some occasion exceptions, like Snivy. I also like certain Flying-types to be male, like Staraptor, Braviary (though that one can only be male), and Pidgeot.

In any case, when it comes to my teams, I like to have a little mix of genders. Though most of them end up being male, I always have at least one female on my team. Thanks to TMs being unlimited use in Gen 5, I can use strategies I would normally not do, like using Attract (with my Leavanny, who are always female with me, this can be a potent surprise tactic). But in short, gender doesn't really matter to me unless we're talking about a specific Pokemon. If it has the right stuff, then gender is irrelevant to me. But again, there are some exceptions to the rules.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Post Thanks / Like

Lately I found myself caring a bit less. I used to judge them by appearance, mostly (more feminine looking generally female, more masculine looking generally male)
    But in the end it doesn't matter, except if you for breeding purposes. I also think it's interesting if you do a Nuzlocke or fanfic for example to have a Pokémon that's normally considered masculine to be female (or the other way around) I mean, when they get turned into characters, or are gijinkafied or something, that influences it as well... I hope that made sense XD

Anyway, I don't care too much anymore, though sometimes for nickname purposes I try to catch a Pokémon of a certain gender

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It doesn't matter to me, with a few exceptions. Besides evolving those gender-based ones (which are few and far between), I would always take a female Frillish/Jellicent over the male one any day. They look better in my eyes.

I imagine that in-game wise, the gender of your Pokemon matter when it comes to Attract. That's because trainers (even important ones) tends to have a mono-gender team if able (so stuff like Magneton are not applicable), and this makes Attract easier to abuse. So if I face Marshal, for example, a female Pokemon with Attract will be able to cripple his entire team.

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Post Thanks / Like

It probably doesn't matter but I do sub-conciously get male/female mons which seem to go with their appearance. masculine etc.

but it doesn't matter because there must be lots of female Ursaring or male Gardevoir (well with Gallade maybe not?) or they wouldn't exist. survival of the fittest etc.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it depends on what the Pokemon looks like. If it looks like a male in my opinion (like Conkeldurr for example), then I would want a male one. If it looks like a female in my opinion (like Espeon for example), then I would want a female one. And for Pokemon that don't look particularly male or female in my opinion, it does not matter what gender they are, as long as they have awesome stats, natures, or if they are shiny.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I did feel guilty that my Black 2 team is all male, except for my gender less Starmie, so I gave Starmie a female nickname and caught a female Skorupi.
    That is actually an odd thing I've noticed in Gen V... My Black team is all female with a genderless, and so are the majority of pokémon I've caught despite not paying attention to it.

So I wonder if there's actually something that makes pokémon of the same gender be slightly more likely to appear. Probably not, but this apparently happens to plenty of players.

[/overexposition]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I did feel guilty that my Black 2 team is all male, except for my gender less Starmie, so I gave Starmie a female nickname and caught a female Skorupi.
    That is actually an odd thing I've noticed in Gen V... My Black team is all female with a genderless, and so are the majority of pokémon I've caught despite not paying attention to it.

So I wonder if there's actually something that makes pokémon of the same gender be slightly more likely to appear. Probably not, but this apparently happens to plenty of players.
    That happened to me a few times in Emerald. Whenever I pick the boy as my PC, for some strange reason, female pokemons seem to appear quite more often - even the ones that have a higher male percentage. Excluding my starter, it would be late in the game that I'd realize I caught a bunch of female pokemons

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't really care. If nicknaming's the issue, I name according to the gender of the pokémon I get, not otherwise. Then again, I don't nickname that much.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Post Thanks / Like

Follow scarlettpeony on Tumblr

I do prefer to have a female starter if I can and, say, a female Eevee simply because it's easier to breed more and they are rarer. But I never have to work hard at it as most of my teams simply end up being mostly female. In both my PKMN Black and PKMN Black 2 my team was so female I've wanted a lad just to make Audino training not quite so annoying. If a male turns up... it takes forever. :P

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I usually try to catch female Pokemon, but my Elemental Monkey and my starter don't matter. However, there are exceptions:

My male Woobat I nicknamed Puffball.
    My other woobat which I think is male.
    My future Sandile might be male.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it doesn't matter to me unless I breed them or use Pokemon that have Rivalry
    other than that I couldn't care less about the genders

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast