Does Anyone Else Think Dragons Are Overrated? - Page 8

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Does Anyone Else Think Dragons Are Overrated?

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Does Anyone Else Think Dragons Are Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post

DRAGONS ARE OVERPOWERED AND OVERHYPED.
    That is a serious contradiction.

Something can be overpowered or it can be overhyped. It can't be both.

In this case, saying Dragons are overpowered is a reasonable claim but saying they are overhyped is just flat out wrong.

@Ranger Jack Walker; why did I get a notification when you quoted Dark Blueberry?
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Blog Entries

Quote accidents. That user had quoted you and I failed at editing so I ended up quoting up before I corrected it.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

If you're referring to dragons in general, yes, they are quite overrated. As far as Dragon type Pokemon go, they're rather overpowered and unbalanced, with only two weaknesses, being Ice and itself, and destructive moves, they're pretty much like what Psychic types were in Gen 1 before the introduction of Dark types in Gen 2 gave the type advantages more balance, though Dragon types remain a problem.
    metalamor likes this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

They're very easy to punish if you stack lots of hazards and switch well, limiting potential free hits at your team.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    If you're referring to dragons in general, yes, they are quite overrated. As far as Dragon type Pokemon go, they're rather overpowered and unbalanced, with only two weaknesses, being Ice and itself, and destructive moves, they're pretty much like what Psychic types were in Gen 1 before the introduction of Dark types in Gen 2 gave the type advantages more balance, though Dragon types remain a problem.
    So tell me, based on this very post, how are they overrated?
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Normal and electric have fewer weaknesses than even that, but they balance better because electric types normally have a pretty shoddy defense stat, and their attack stat isn't all that spectacular, either, and normal types can never land a super-effective STAB hit, cause nothing's weak to normal.
    Even if they don't change dragon typing they should at least give the next set a slightly disappointing base stat...not just a base stat that happens to be the lowest of the type's general stats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    So tell me, based on this very post, how are they overrated?
    I know right. The user just contradicted themselves.

>Says Dragons are overrated
    >Proceeds to state why they are overpowered
    >???
    >Profit

This thread is the first time I've seen someone describe something as overrated and overpowered at the same time.
    Grass Type Warrior likes this.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As a heads up for people who can't tell what "overrated" means:

- Over/under-rated: That recieves higher/lower "ratings", or praise/stimation of potential/whatever, than they deserve. Something weak being called stronger than what it is, or something strong being called weaker than what it is.
    The stronger something is, the harder it is to overrate it. The weaker something is, the harder it is to underrate it.
    - Over/under-powered: That has too much or too little power. This is what most people in this thread probably are trying to say. Note that this power is circunstancial; something must clearly outclass its peers to be overpowered.
    For example: GenIV Garchomp was overpowered because it was toe to toe with pokémon clearly meant to be stronger. GenV Kyuren(N) is/was underpowered and the butt of many "strongest dragon" jokes because it is outclassed by pokemon it is meant to be with. (Though it's a moot point now that it has the new forms)
    - Over/under-hyped: How much is the pokémon talked about. How popular it is.

With that out of the bag, I'll just say that dragons aren't really so much overpowered, as that simply most of its pokémon happen to be either legendaries or meant to be unusually strong.
    To say a particular pokémon is overpowered, you have to compare it to what are meant to be its equals. So Hydreigon being superior to other pseudo-legendaries makes it overpowered perhaps (but not invencible, the higher up the offense you go, uncounterable is a normal thing, but like others have said you use revenge kills and checks against them; there's more strategy than just "send a pokemon this is strong to"). But that is a case for a particular pokémon.

So no. Most dragons are not overrated, nor overpowered. Even those that are particularly strong are balanced in-game anyways by having crazy requeriments.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Personally, if Hydreigon wants that godlike hype and power, then it should be all the more difficult to acquire. Not just evolving at a high level - but maybe requiring the least friendship ever, when Frustration is at its strongest state. Then maybe it could deserve all the worshipping.

Personally, if Hydreigon wants that godlike hype and power, then it should be all the more difficult to acquire. Not just evolving at a high level - but maybe requiring the least friendship ever, when Frustration is at its strongest state. Then maybe it could deserve all the worshipping.
    That's actually an interesting idea. Maybe then I'd actually use the 15 energy roots piling up in my backpack.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, getting a pathetic Deino and Zweillous with hustle to level 64 is already pretty hard for ingame purposes.

And of course, for serious battlers, logistics is the smallest of problems, so that change wouldn't affect Hydreigon's position/power in serious battling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    You know, getting a pathetic Deino and Zweillous with hustle to level 64 is already pretty hard for ingame purposes.

And of course, for serious battlers, logistics is the smallest of problems, so that change wouldn't affect Hydreigon's position/power in serious battling.
    It's just making the dragon itself all the more 'worthwhile' to get in your team. Seriously, you can just spam Rare Candies on it if you'd like and still get a decent Hydreigon, no?

Maintaining a low friendship is extremely difficult while leveling up because every action you MUST do ingame gets your pokemon to like you more, so it would be a nice challenge if the dragon has to have such power and brutal attacks in battles.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post

It's just making the dragon itself all the more 'worthwhile' to get in your team. Seriously, you can just spam Rare Candies on it if you'd like and still get a decent Hydreigon, no?

Maintaining a low friendship is extremely difficult while leveling up because every action you MUST do ingame gets your pokemon to like you more, so it would be a nice challenge if the dragon has to have such power and brutal attacks in battles.
    What I am trying to say is that Hydreigon is not over-powered ingame. I tried using and getting to lvl 64 is horrifyingly hard. It truly shines in wifi and competitive battling with tm moves and move-tutor moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Then maybe it could deserve all the worshipping.
    What kind of backward ass logic is that?

How does making a pokemon harder to obtain make it more deserving of praise?
    Last edited by Ranger Jack Walker; 31st October 2012 at 12:22 PM.
    H-con likes this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast