Does Anyone Else Think Dragons Are Overrated? - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Else Think Dragons Are Overrated?

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Default Re: Does Anyone Else Think Dragons Are Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    I never said I underestimated Dragon-types. I dislike them because they are far too good for their own good and too many people use them that they are practically overshadowing other pokemons. It ticks me off when people say "Hydreigon is the best", "There's nothing that can survive switching in when battling a Hydreigon", "Dragonite with Multi-Scale FTW"... It sounds as if pokemon only exists for Dragon-types and dragons only. I got tired of all the Eeveelution hype, and the hype about dragons are equally annoying. I try to come up with something that MIGHT work against a dragon and look - people tell me "that won't work agaisnt Hydreigon". "metagames are where competitive players gather and that won't work" such stuff that it's making me sound stupid and that no matter what other pokemons do, they'll always be inferior to dragons and dragons will always be superior to every single pokemon on earth. It's that hype about dragons that makes me disappointed that good pokemons like Lucario or Gallade or Lapras or whatever heck you guys use in the metagame - they'd get pwned forever by dragons and other pokemons will never stand a chance. Wut, it's not as if dragons rule the pokemon world that they should get all the worshipping and other pokemon getting treated like punching bags for dragons.
    I agree.
    To be fair, I looked at the meta rankings and there are a LOT of pokemon on there I didn't expect. Quite a few I like personally. It's surprising what you can do with different Pokemon. I found Abomasnow on one of the tiers (OU or UU I forgot which) and it has seven weaknesses. But apparently it's useful if you know what you're doing.

BUT, the dragons are overpowered for people who aren't as interested in competative battling. When I did it years ago, I had a lot of time to build up the best of the best teams and the GBC battles were link-cable only. Which meant that, in my small-ass town, there was a very limited pool of fellow competitors. I knew the top three Pokemon and it was relatively easy to prepare. It's global now, and I assume much more hardcore as a result. I don't know if I could put in all the time EV training and IV breeding that most metagamers do. Ergo, while I am interested in competitive battles I do not know if I could actually do it anymore. So I mostly speak from the context of in-game.

The way the type is structured, they do edge out a lot of competitors. Their relative scarcity is the only thing keeping them from becoming a larger part of the metagame. And it forced the steel type to rise up, as well, further limiting what you can do. They're not limited; they're limiting, and that's part of why I don't like them. In-game they don't suit my purposes well and out-of-game they pretty much pick the tone of your party for you.

Heracross is a good counter to Hydreigon, because it's weak to Fighting and Bug, which are Heracross's types. Failing that, any Bug, Fighting or Ice type except Kyurem would do (Kyurem is weak to dragon because it's a dragon type itself).

A whole load of Hoopa Hyperion09's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Hyperion09 On Twitter
    Follow Hyperion09 on Tumblr Visit Hyperion09's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Heracross is a good counter to Hydreigon, because it's weak to Fighting and Bug, which are Heracross's types. Failing that, any Bug, Fighting or Ice type except Kyurem would do (Kyurem is weak to dragon because it's a dragon type itself).
    lol good luck trying to get one of them in before dying...in-game and competitive are completely different environments.

LiveJournal | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingdomkid
    I thought air was free but they sell them in plastic bags and comes with a hand full of chips!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Did you not read my earlier post about Hydreigon using Flamethrower/Fire Blast on the obvious switch in? Hydreigon will not just be using its STAB moves to battle, y'know.

But hey, even if it did, I'd like to see that Heracross survive a fully powered Draco Meteor while switching in and then proceeding to take out Hydreigon. You do know that Hera is slower than Hydreigon, right?
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

yeah..........really dragons are powerful but i dont consider them like a type, though they are..........u know bug and dragon are type of beasts.............they shouldnt be used as type of powers a pokemon has...........

I was reading a thread the other day where somebody described specs Latios Draco Meteor as 'like a 90% accuracy sheer cold" :D
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

If Hydreigon is so uncounterable and such, then how do you win against one anyways? Pretty much everything you guys say make it seem that Hydreigon is totally uncounterable that even if legendaries were allowed they'd be pwned. Seriously, does anyone actually have a solution to countering the stupid three-headed dragon that every single person is hyped about and say that nothing can stand against it?

Now I'm starting to hate it more. -.-

Blog Entries

If Hydreigon is so uncounterable and such, then how do you win against one anyways? Pretty much everything you guys say make it seem that Hydreigon is totally uncounterable that even if legendaries were allowed they'd be pwned. Seriously, does anyone actually have a solution to countering the stupid three-headed dragon that every single person is hyped about and say that nothing can stand against it?

In order to answer this question, please allow me to refer you to a part in my previous response to you, which you clearly either glossed over, or didn't read before going on an angry tirade:

Hydreigon is uncounterable (note: I said uncounterable, not undefeatable. It can be revenge killed fairly easily, but for that to happen, it first has to take out at least one of your Pokemon,)

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post

In order to answer this question, please allow me to refer you to a part in my previous response to you, which you clearly either glossed over, or didn't read before going on an angry tirade:

Hydreigon is uncounterable (note: I said uncounterable, not undefeatable. It can be revenge killed fairly easily, but for that to happen, it first has to take out at least one of your Pokemon,)
    Which, in conclusion, no one can really provide a good measure on Hydreigon. Perfect dragon yeah. All right - I lose the conversation here. You guys are right - Hydreigon is SO god-ish that just keeping one would make everyone be scared of you pffft. I'll keep that in mind -.-

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Wouldn't a good fighting type be a decent counter to Hydregion? It would seem as though that would be the case.

Heracross isn't one of the Pokemon with good enough stats to necessarily be competitve. I liked it okay when I raised one in-game, but overall I could take or leave it. I think they should have given it an evolution; the evolution of it would probably be competitive.

One of my angriest moments in Pokemon was when I caught a Swinub (one of my favorites, below Wooper and Feraligatr), leveled it up, evolved it into Piloswine, and leveled the Piloswine up to 47 because Dragons are weak to Ice-type moves and once of Lance's Dragonites knew Thunder so my Feraligatr was out. Then I went into battle and got OHKOd by the one that knew Fire Blast -.-" I was so mad. So I leveled up a Dragonite because I needed one to complete my Pokedex. Hey, why not level it up the rest of the way since it was halfway there? They're already one of the most badass Pokemon, not counting the legendaries (this was Gen II, all we had were Dragonite and Kingdra). My best friend growing up slaughtered my Dragonite with his Snorlax's Blizzard -____-

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metalamor View Post
    Wouldn't a good fighting type be a decent counter to Hydregion? It would seem as though that would be the case.

Heracross isn't one of the Pokemon with good enough stats to necessarily be competitve. I liked it okay when I raised one in-game, but overall I could take or leave it. I think they should have given it an evolution; the evolution of it would probably be competitive.

One of my angriest moments in Pokemon was when I caught a Swinub (one of my favorites, below Wooper and Feraligatr), leveled it up, evolved it into Piloswine, and leveled the Piloswine up to 47 because Dragons are weak to Ice-type moves and once of Lance's Dragonites knew Thunder so my Feraligatr was out. Then I went into battle and got OHKOd by the one that knew Fire Blast -.-" I was so mad. So I leveled up a Dragonite because I needed one to complete my Pokedex. Hey, why not level it up the rest of the way since it was halfway there? They're already one of the most badass Pokemon, not counting the legendaries (this was Gen II, all we had were Dragonite and Kingdra). My best friend growing up slaughtered my Dragonite with his Snorlax's Blizzard -____-
    Heracross is actually quite competitive. It's one of the top Pokemon of the UU tier. Do note that Gen V UU was (is?) considered by many to be the equivalent of Gen IV OU. The problem with Heracross is that, unless you give it a Choice Scarf, it will never outrun most offensive Hydreigon. It also has the problem of not being able to safely switch into Hydreigon, or force it out for that matter. Lucario and Infernape can reliably revenge kill Hydreigon, but switching in is a problem for both of them (and most Fighting types, for that matter.)

As for Dragonite, the addition of Multiscale and Roost to its arsenal have pretty much guaranteed that it won't be KO'ed by Snorlax's Blizzard ever again (provided it's at full health.) It can then proceed to absolutely destroy Snorlax with Superpower or Outrage.

Nothing can switch in on Hydreigon but obviously that is presuming the opponent predicts correctly.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Nothing can switch in on Hydreigon but obviously that is presuming the opponent predicts correctly.
    Arceus

We're talking OU here...
    Checks and counters:

"There aren't any! The closest thing to a concrete counter now is Chansey, but even then it's easily 2HKOed by Superpower with some prior damage (a common reality when you consider that Chansey doesn't use Leftovers). Nothing else can touch Hydreigon on a good day. Tyranitar is always OHKOed by Superpower, and Ferrothorn and Jirachi are scorched by Fire Blast. Heatran is OHKOed by Earthquake and it takes a ton of damage from Superpower and everything else is at best 2HKOed by Draco Meteor. Fortunately, Hydreigon is fairly easy to check in the current BW metagame. The omnipresent Genesect is quite simply the best Hydreigon check in the tier and a common obstacle for Hydreigon users. Genesect can either hit it with a powerful Ice Beam or U-turn to simultaneously threaten Hydreigon and its teammates while also gaining momentum in the process. Tornadus-T, Breloom, and Keldeo are common and every single one of them can destroy Hydreigon with their powerful Fighting-type moves. The ever-popular Terrakion exists at every corner, waiting to turn Hydreigon into a liability since it is forced to switch out from its powerful Close Combats. It's also naturally outsped and KOed by Latios and Latias. Outside of fast offensive checks, you can rely on good old fashioned priority to take it down. Breloom, Mamoswine and Scizor are decent choices, though they should only bother trying to take on Hydreigon
    when it has been weakened as Hydreigon's 92 / 90 physical defense is nothing to sneeze at."
    @Dark Blueberry;

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    We're talking OU here...
    Checks and counters:

"There aren't any! The closest thing to a concrete counter now is Chansey, but even then it's easily 2HKOed by Superpower with some prior damage (a common reality when you consider that Chansey doesn't use Leftovers). Nothing else can touch Hydreigon on a good day. Tyranitar is always OHKOed by Superpower, and Ferrothorn and Jirachi are scorched by Fire Blast. Heatran is OHKOed by Earthquake and it takes a ton of damage from Superpower and everything else is at best 2HKOed by Draco Meteor. Fortunately, Hydreigon is fairly easy to check in the current BW metagame. The omnipresent Genesect is quite simply the best Hydreigon check in the tier and a common obstacle for Hydreigon users. Genesect can either hit it with a powerful Ice Beam or U-turn to simultaneously threaten Hydreigon and its teammates while also gaining momentum in the process. Tornadus-T, Breloom, and Keldeo are common and every single one of them can destroy Hydreigon with their powerful Fighting-type moves. The ever-popular Terrakion exists at every corner, waiting to turn Hydreigon into a liability since it is forced to switch out from its powerful Close Combats. It's also naturally outsped and KOed by Latios and Latias. Outside of fast offensive checks, you can rely on good old fashioned priority to take it down. Breloom, Mamoswine and Scizor are decent choices, though they should only bother trying to take on Hydreigon
    when it has been weakened as Hydreigon's 92 / 90 physical defense is nothing to sneeze at."
    Not even Volcarona?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast