Do you want mid-battle evolutions? - Page 6

View Poll Results: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Evolving during a battle would be much more exciting

166 73.45%
  • No - Evolving after a battle is much more exciting

52 23.01%
  • Other

8 3.54%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Default Re: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Yes. It doesn't really make much sense to have to wait until the end of a battle. You can learn moves mid-battle, why not evolution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    NO. would make it unfair for the oppoent so no. people would just train up to the level before evolution to get an advantage in hard battles
    Wouldn't training up that one last level and being evolved from the start give them even more of an advantage?
    No. Asuming evolution restores it to full health (if it dosent then yes) changes it stats its like getting a new pokemon during a battle then that would swicth the tide of battle if you start with an evolved pokemon you cant make it any better. s makes it unfair its somthing that should stick to the anime its not meant for a game, would not work in keeing battles fair.

If evolving des not remove all status affect and restore the pokemons hit points its much better but still unfair on the opponent

yes evolving it before hand will make it stronger but i an increse its power midbattle its better liike dragonair will take out first poke he is damaged bt experiance evolves him now hes stronger and has full health pp and possibly new moves. unfair.
    ... There is absolutely no reason for a Pokemon to be fully healed by evolution. The closest we get to that is its current HP going up if the evolved form has higher base HP. And given that Pokemon can learn moves during battle already, there's still nothing you'd gain from evolving during battle instead of before it. In the example you gave, that Dragonair would be able to gain a level while taking less or even no damage if it was already evolved.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

NO. would make it unfair for the oppoent so no. people would just train up to the level before evolution to get an advantage in hard battles
    Wouldn't training up that one last level and being evolved from the start give them even more of an advantage?
    No. Asuming evolution restores it to full health (if it dosent then yes) changes it stats its like getting a new pokemon during a battle then that would swicth the tide of battle if you start with an evolved pokemon you cant make it any better. s makes it unfair its somthing that should stick to the anime its not meant for a game, would not work in keeing battles fair.

If evolving des not remove all status affect and restore the pokemons hit points its much better but still unfair on the opponent

yes evolving it before hand will make it stronger but i an increse its power midbattle its better liike dragonair will take out first poke he is damaged bt experiance evolves him now hes stronger and has full health pp and possibly new moves. unfair.
    ... There is absolutely no reason for a Pokemon to be fully healed by evolution. The closest we get to that is its current HP going up if the evolved form has higher base HP. And given that Pokemon can learn moves during battle already, there's still nothing you'd gain from evolving during battle instead of before it. In the example you gave, that Dragonair would be able to gain a level while taking less or even no damage if it was already evolved.
    Well if it dosent gain any health or PP i guess it would be more fair but still you can call it giving the person an unfair advantage personally i wouldent like it though, would find it annoying my opponent getting stronger midbattle, evolves s/he hits full restore now i have to face a new hyped strong pokemon with full health which im not prepared for.The only way to be prepared would be to go online every time i face a gym to see which pokemon they have which could evolve mid battle and proceed to over train my pokemon out of fear of them evolving mid battle, no thanks not for me.

^That's easily solved - AI trainers Pokemon don't gain EXP, thus can't level up and therefore cannot evolve.

I posted earlier but a new thought came to me. This COULD work for opponent if it were scripted to happen in some particular fights. Imagine an epic battle with your rival where their key pokemon evolves in an attempt to beat you? Or if contests returned (and where more like the anime) someone pulling a trick like Ursula and her Eevees to give you more of a challenge in the grand festival.

It wouldnt be random if played through the game before but it would add a interesting surprise element to it the first time round.

Blog Entries

Yes please!
    I've had cases where my pokemon gained 2 levels in 1 battle and then missed out on a move that could only be learned at the exact levelup level. Heart scales are not exactly common.

The Original Sylveon The Guardian Sylveon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes and no. Yes only if there's a way where the battle would not slow down between the Evolution and no because though it would be cool, I see nothing wrong with the current way of Evolution.

Team Eeveelution All The Way!!!

I would HATE using evolution-inducing items in battle, but if it's a plain level-up, then that would be awesome. I would love to see it with the 3D graphics.

Blog Entries

I feel a mid-battle evolution could be done. And it would be awesome. But if it does happen, it should happen between rounds, just like when a Pokemon learns a new move upon Level Up and has to pause for a moment to learn it. While it would gain a big stat boost, I would still vouch for it. Even though evolving after a battle is rewarding, too, my only complaint about that is that what if a Pokemon learns a new move right away after evolving? Like Monferno learning Mach Punch right after it evolves, or Torterra learning Earthquake. Since they only learn those moves at that level of evolution, it would help so that way the move isn't accidentally skipped due to leveling up too fast. At least, that would make sense to me. But I would vouch for a mid-battle evolution, even if it makes it a little unfair for the NPCs. But I think it would be cool if they did that.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I'm not very much for or against, but some of the arguments here are pretty, well stupid.
    1) It wouldn't be hard to program
    I'm not a very skilled programmer at all (and I'm assuming most of you aren't either), but I can give you an idea of how it would work, and yes, I know that no compiler in the world would be able to produce anything from this.
    Let's say we go from this:
    (The Pokemon KO's the opponent)
    Code:
    if (level == 100) skip to next event, else; 
    add [given EXP] to [current EXP];
    if ([new current EXP] == [required EXP]) level up; 
    else skip to next event;
    if ([current level] == [move level]) ask for [move] to be learned;
    else skip to next event;
    return to battle;
    to this
    Code:
    if (level == 100) skip to next event, else; 
    add [given EXP] to [current EXP];
    if ([new current EXP] == [required EXP]) level up; 
    else skip to next event;
    if ([current level] == [move level]) ask for [move] to be learned;
    else skip to next event;
    if ([current level] == [evolution level]) start evolution process;
    else skip to next event; 
    return to battle;
    As opposed to have the game check all Pokemon that leveled up during the battle after the battle ends to see if any of them can evolve.

2)It wouldn't give us an unfair advantage, evolution does not cure status or heal your Pokemon now, why would it in-battle?

3)It wouldn't be hard to program in the EXP change for the CPU, also the size of the catridge are up form 512MB to a max of 8GB, there are plenty of space, but I still don't think the NPCs will get to gain EXP.

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.

I selected "Other" simply because I'd only want Level/Friendship based evolution during battles. I think using evolution items mid-battle would be unfair and quite silly.

Rawr! I iz da Kwaken! Polkadot Jolteon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Everyone's worried about it being unfair on NPCs, but they're missing the point.

The point of Pokémon is going out, getting some friends and playing with them. Pokémon is a very multiplayer game.

I'm sitting on the fence here. I see no reason why not, and it'd turn the tide of battle, but I personally don't see it happening, at least any time soon...

Nyx

YES! I've been wanting that for so long! Don't see why Pokemon in the anime evolve during battles 90% of the time, but we still can't do the same in the games. Most arguements against it are invalid anyway.
    Pokefanforever likes this.

Reason, I voted yes because it happens in the anime so, why not games? And no, I'm not saying you should be allowed to use items such as rare candies. I don't think GF would ever allow it to happen. Just imagine 3D poke evolution awesome. I don't understand why people are so against the idea.

The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

It would be an awesome feature to have in the new games, but given the circumstances I doubt it will happen...
    I'm not a person that would die without Pokémon evolving during Battle... It would also just be a long process to conquer for the creators of the games.
    In all though, with what we've seen so far, I could see it happening in the near future (perhaps the games after these), when GameFreak has become greater than it already is. Also, if this does happen; I expect it to only be Pokémon evolving by exp/level that should evolve in mid-battle...
    N is finished yet.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast