Do you want mid-battle evolutions? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Evolving during a battle would be much more exciting

166 73.45%
  • No - Evolving after a battle is much more exciting

52 23.01%
  • Other

8 3.54%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

I like the idea of evolving in the middle of the battle. It would make battles more exciting and interesting. I don't know how it would work technically speaking, but if they could keep it for the Pokemon that evolve through leveling up, I think it could be a fun upgrade.

It would be cool and more realistic but it would be a balance nightmare.
    Yato likes this.

Blog Entries

Evolving after battle just isn't realistic though.

You're Pokémon can theoretically level up 5 times during one full battle. And it still won't evolve until after the battle.

Please tell me how that makes any sense.

So no, I will always want to have mid-battle evolutions. I don't mind if specific evolution methods require "after" battle to evolve, but all Pokémon that evolve by level up should have the capability of evolving whenever the conditions are met.

Possible argument:
    But evolving midbattle gives the player an advantage
    Why anyone would care about an NPC, or a computer controlled player is beyond me.

It's not like your Pokémon would be able to evolve during "multiplayer."

No. It would be unfair. I started battling a freaking Abra, why should I finish the battle fighting against a Kadabra?

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Evolving after battle just isn't realistic though.

You're Pokémon can theoretically level up 5 times during one full battle. And it still won't evolve until after the battle.

Please tell me how that makes any sense.

So no, I will always want to have mid-battle evolutions. I don't mind if specific evolution methods require "after" battle to evolve, but all Pokémon that evolve by level up should have the capability of evolving whenever the conditions are met.

Possible argument:
    But evolving midbattle gives the player an advantage
    Why anyone would care about an NPC, or a computer controlled player is beyond me.

It's not like your Pokémon would be able to evolve during "multiplayer."
    NPC's Pokemon still have levels, so if they could make the mechanic work for NPCs too, they could set certain NPC's so that one of their Pokemon is almost ready to evolve. Gym leaders could use this tactic. I guess it would happen between Pokemon switches.
    Yato likes this.

Monochrome JC The Supreme Tiger's Avatar

Although I welcome the idea, from a game standpoint it would only be used by the PCs, not the NPCs because, unless the game forces you to lose, the game mechanics require exp. to evolve. Unless a new form of evolution would be possible during battles, it couldn't work for the NPCs.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

...now with Gen 6 being announced, this thread has been revived XDD

Personally, I'd like to see this as a new feature for Gen 6. Evolving during battle.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

A million times yes!! But only if the evolution is by level gained in the battle, I think that using stones or rare candy would be kind of cheap. But I think overall it would add a lot more excitement and unpredictably, especially if opponets' pokemon (even gym leaders') pokemon evolved during a battle.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

It would be great, but how would it work, from a programming standpoint anyway?

Anyways, let's say on your fourth rival battle, his/her starter evolvves to its final form.

I'd also like to see evolutions cutscenes.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

NO. would make it unfair for the oppoent so no. people would just train up to the level before evolution to get an advantage in hard battles

Visit Kwame120's Youtube Channel

I'd like for evolution during battles for gen 6. It would be awesome, and I don't see how it'd be that unfair to the opponent. You'd have to gain exp from defeating at least one pokémon to evolve anyway, and if anything this could be considered a disadvantage - if you have an evolved pokémon from the beginning of the match that would be more difficult for them, so it evolving during wouldn't be any more unfair than you doing a bit of levelling before facing them.

However, I'd only like it to work through exp and it'd be great if the opponent could do it. That also means that opponents should gain exp during the match. I think it would be brilliant as you, the player, would have to completely up your game, and restrategise. It'd add a whole new element of strategy to the game, provided that the opponent could do it. Plus, it wouldn't be that abusable as in non-NPC matches exp isn't gained, so it'd only work in-game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    NO. would make it unfair for the oppoent so no. people would just train up to the level before evolution to get an advantage in hard battles
    Wouldn't training up that one last level and being evolved from the start give them even more of an advantage?
    Battaman likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

I think it's an excellent idea, I'm really fond of it. The idea of a Pokemon evolving mid-battle has actually been something I've wanted for a long time now. If a Gym Leader's Pokemon evolves mid-battle, I think it would make the game more exciting, yes, it'd be more challenging, but that can be fun.

I'd quite like to evolve mid-battle. Could make it a lot more interesting and could even add another layer of strategy (like you'll know that it could happen so you could incorporate it into your plan). I've always wondered why it didn't happen, to be honest.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    Wouldn't training up that one last level and being evolved from the start give them even more of an advantage?
    No. Asuming evolution restores it to full health (if it dosent then yes) changes it stats its like getting a new pokemon during a battle then that would swicth the tide of battle if you start with an evolved pokemon you cant make it any better. s makes it unfair its somthing that should stick to the anime its not meant for a game, would not work in keeing battles fair.

If evolving des not remove all status affect and restore the pokemons hit points its much better but still unfair on the opponent

yes evolving it before hand will make it stronger but i an increse its power midbattle its better liike dragonair will take out first poke he is damaged bt experiance evolves him now hes stronger and has full health pp and possibly new moves. unfair.
    Last edited by PrettyVenomoth; 8th January 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast